It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US House of Representatives passes NSA reform bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

In washington, DC, the House voted 303-to-121 on Thursday morning in favor of the USA Freedom Act, which includes a provision that the bill’s authors say will halt the US government’s bulk collection of telephone metadata.

One day earlier, the White House endorsed the bill and said in a statement that its “significant reforms would provide the public greater confidence in our programs and the checks and balances in the system.”

Yeah Ok... Greater "confidence" in your programs !!?
is this a joke?

In its current form, however, critics say it lacks the sufficient provisions to truly put a dent in the NSA’s spy programs. The Electronic Frontier Foundation this week accused the latest version of the act to have been “gutted” of its most crucial parts and “doesn't achieve the goal of ending mass spying.”

Sorry but I have to side with the "critics " on this one...
Who's with me ?

The only source I have is RT at the moment , feel free add any other links .

rt.com...

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
No politician would vote for a bill that took the teeth out of the NSA.

That would be like making guns illegal while someone holds one to your head.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: LightningStrikesHere

It will halt the collection of metadata? So what now, they just collect the data data and the audio/video data only?

Any bill that has a name like "USA Freedom Act" is suspect, I don't care WHO wrote it. Where is the bill that shuts the NSA down completely? Or forbids the NSA to collect data on anyone OTHER than NON-US citizens, like it was created to do?

Yeah, there will never be a bill like that. What will have to happen is for war to break out and a bunch of citizen soldiers with bulldozers headed to Utah...

edit on 22-5-2014 by ScientiaFortisDefendit because: oops.. NON citizens.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

Exactly what I was thinking ! I am with you on that

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Not a fan of the NSA, but I am naturally concerned when Russia (or in this case, a pro-Russian media source) is actively trying to make the US less informed and dulled given their governments actions of late....trying to avoid the urge to become a paranoid nationalist..

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
They pass this and people will think that they have changed their ways. HaHa. Most times nothing change, people assume things change when people get caught. They just left loopholes that make it harder for us to find the deceitful practices.

When we find something wrong with something, they either rename it or redefine how we should interpret things. Not much really changes.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
Not a fan of the NSA, but I am naturally concerned when Russia (or in this case, a pro-Russian media source) is actively trying to make the US less informed and dulled given their governments actions of late....trying to avoid the urge to become a paranoid nationalist..

The source came from reuters originally. ..

Just saying

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientiaFortisDefendit

It will halt the collection of metadata? So what now, they just collect the data data and the audio/video data only?

Any bill that has a name like "USA Freedom Act" is suspect, I don't care WHO wrote it. Where is the bill that shuts the NSA down completely? Or forbids the NSA to collect data on anyone OTHER than NON-US citizens, like it was created to do?

Yeah, there will never be a bill like that. What will have to happen is for war to break out and a bunch of citizen soldiers with bulldozers headed to Utah...

You wouldn't be looking for a good heavy equipment operator that will work free of charge would you????

edit on 22-5-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

this federal govt. is on its way out. by tooth, nail, blood, revolution, currency it is going to become extinct. this is why it is fighting the people so hard. it knows its days are numbered.

new topics

top topics

join