It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America, get with the high speed rail program!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

It's interesting you mention Taiwan as the Chinese Rail Map I have in the OP shows the dotted line of a proposed undersea rail tunnel connecting mainland China to Northern Taiwan even with Taipei.

China would seem to be thinking things out and moving slowly but surely toward their interests.
edit on 22-5-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Obama did allocate a good chunk of money to develop high speed rail but so far its been a flop.

The only state I am aware of that is in the process of high speed rail is California and even there people are questioning the the project since several of the proposed routes are on fault lines. If we can somehow push the rail idea I think it would be very beneficial, especially in the northeast US where there is a massive need for it.

Trying to get thru the red tape at all levels of government in addition to federal and state agency involvement has been a blocking force. The less said about the brown-shirts over at the EPA the better.

edit on 22-5-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
We'll here in Cal. It is a union fleecing of taxpayers for a system that has no merit for commerce or community. It is already projected to top $60b on its way to a trillion in costs. All this while we are in the worst drought in our history and the cost of the completed desalination plant in Carlsbad cost a little over $1.5b. No sense.
Yeah it's all about the rail...but I would rather have water.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I would support maglev in the USA whether it's above or below ground, and I have used the maglev train in China a couple times.. It is not too complicated and the station where you get on shows wall panel signs like a museum display of how the system is designed showing moving parts and what not, in English too.. It explains the magnetic levitation and the entire process is explained from where it starts moving using conventional electric motors until it reaches a certain speed, and then the magnetic system kicks in and off it goes, and you get pushed back in your seat very forcefully and can feel intense acceleration.... (Shanghai to the Pudong airport PVG) takes 15 minutes to get from start to finish, which is as fast as flying there.. (maybe 20 minutes)

When it gets to midpoint in journey it begins deceleration which pulls you forward until you get there.

It got up to almost 270 Miles per hour when I first rode it back in late 2004... It is freaky because the car freeway is right next to this track system which is up above car traffic enough to look down on them, and you zoom past the cars like they are just sitting there parked, but are usually going close to 55-60mph.

I think a LOT of people would ride these things in the USA and they would get you there as fast as a lot of aircraft would..

edit: Also, not one bit of security to go through, no emptying of pockets, none of that nonsense. There is security around, but they keep mostly in places you wouldn't expect them to "pop out" from.. There were military soldiers keeping out of sight, but I think they would be ready if someone got feisty.
edit on 22-5-2014 by alienreality because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I'm not really interested in traveling by train, it wouldn't suit my needs. By all means go ahead and build it though I'm sure some people are. I'll still be driving down the road in my van with my two little kids and my dog. We'll be making lots of scenic stops to admire things and let the dog go wee-wee and singing lots of wheels on the bus go round and round.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

I have to say im l,ucky to live in a part of the UK with a high speed rail line to London and one into France.

Central London s now 25 minutes away and Paris just over two hours away and its great. Just for a fun day trip alone but I know people that use it for business and its invaluable.

I agree with you. USA should get with the program!

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB

One word. Taxes.

Second word. No.

I'm really not interested in a nationwide rail system at current moment. While its a wonderful idea we have other things we SHOULD be worrying about first. My two cents.

Actually better infrastructure directly correlates to increased and better business and hence MORE money. So in the medium and long run it could mean lower taxes due to a robust economy. And it would certainly mean more jobs in the states its goes through due to more employment opportunity as rural areas are connected.
edit on 22-5-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

China recently approached Taiwan and proposed a tunnel to be built from mainland China to Taiwan. China also stated they would cover the complete cost for it. Taiwan turned it down and with good reason. The tunnel can act as a means to deploy lots of troops.

I find it.... interesting... that with the issues between the US / China / Russia that this idea would be floated. A bridge linking Russia to the US can be used for the exact same purposes a tunnel to Taiwan could be used for.

A known official tunnel would be a absolutely stupid way to deploy a invasion force!

You wait until a few hundred thousand Chinese troops are inside and BANG! you blow the tunnel and the enemy have lost a few dozen divisions

edit on 22-5-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

In theory but America doesnt operate that way.

States that have imposed income taxes to theoretically reduce the property taxes have both the highest income taxes and property taxes in the country.

America; local, state or federal, does not accept tax reductions. They always go up. There may be shuffling or relabeling but the overall burden always goes up.

If an updated infrastructure lead to an increase in tax revenue all other taxes would remain high and still increase. The government just spends whatever it gets. Like a spoiled rich kid blowing through the money his parents earned.
edit on 22-5-2014 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Here is something to think about. Freight rail systems in the US are running at nearly maximum capacity. At least my company is, and I know the other one in the West is doing just as well. There is no room for any more passenger trains. Not "we don't want to run them", there just isn't room. 2013 had the second highest freight traffic levels in the history of the company. 2014 has been even higher, many expect the record to be broken.

If you want more passenger traffic, be it high or low speed, it will require a whole new rail system. You will not be able to piggy-back on the freight rails.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: howmuch4another
We'll here in Cal. It is a union fleecing of taxpayers for a system that has no merit for commerce or community. It is already projected to top $60b on its way to a trillion in costs. All this while we are in the worst drought in our history and the cost of the completed desalination plant in Carlsbad cost a little over $1.5b. No sense.
Yeah it's all about the rail...but I would rather have water.

THANK YOU! Anyone discussing this that doesn't know the fine details needs to go there first. I too live in California. My house is within one of the proposed routes through my area. Everyone I know is against this rail system.

It was voted in favor of to the tune of 9 billion for a rail from L.A. to S.F. It is still in the planning phase 4 years later to the tune of 70+billion and still climbing. The planning alone is eating up the initial funds. The train would not make stops, so I'm told or only one around Fresno, and would take about 3 hours of travel. The ticket would be about the same as a flight. California is basically bankrupt and has no water in the southern portion. As the guy above me pointed out, and I've personally put these two items together myself, we could build 10 desalinization plants for the original cost of this farce of a rail.

Here is food for thought. Who wants this rail and the others that are in the planning???? Check out agenda 21. In the dream plan, people will live along tight corridors(railways?) and not be allowed to live in rural or wild areas.

Screw what the Chinese are up to....what are we up to?

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Florida tried. We passed a voter referendum amendment for a high speed rail from Tampa to Orlando to Cape Canaveral. Most residents wanted it, the federal government even was going to give us grants. Rick Scott nixed it.

Rick Scott nixed Florida's high rail because he said it would cost to much, this coming from a man whose campaign slogan was "Putting Florida back to Work".

The real reason Scott nixed Florida's high speed rail is he is in cahoots with the FEC(Florida East Coast Railway) and used that to push a light-raIl system in the Orlando area that is an absolute waste of money. Nixing the high speed rail was a gift from Rick Scott to the FEC.

So instead of getting an advanced high speed rail the voters approved, we get a non-functional 'light rail' system in Orlando that does not even run on weekends. Way to send Florida back to the turn of the 20th Century Rick Scott!!!!

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

Why not replace our failed private bank, with a modern one, publicly owned by everyone, that uses a currency that benefits the people first? Then, you wouldn't need taxes to fund it. Their are plenty of monetary systems to investigate.

One day, the United States will relearn what Usury is, and what it causes in a society.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The only state I am aware of that is in the process of high speed rail is California and even there people are questioning the the project.
We are the highest taxed state in the US and companies are leaving calif daily and the democrats want another boondoggle like this high speed rail system. And calif is broke
www.aei-ideas.org...

In 2011, 562,000 people left California.
Me and two ex navy friends are leaving for AZ as soon a we can find a place to retire to.
We are pooling our money buy a 1 or 2 Acre plot with a mobile home on it and room for my motor home.
we want some place that is gun friendly as we all have NV CCWs.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000I hear france may have some trains for cheap. Something about not measuring tracks before building train.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Apparently you don't know the people's of rural America. They don't WANT to be connected. They like their seclusion and sure as hell don't want a train running through their back yard.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Apparently you don't know the people's of rural America. They don't WANT to be connected. They like their seclusion and sure as hell don't want a train running through their back yard.

Then the unemployed should be cut off from all welfare then, don't whine about lack of jobs if you too stupid to open your area up too business.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

It does not matter if the people want high speed rail. The people of Florida wanted a high speed railway, over 60% of the voters approved. It does not matter what the people want.

The common person is essentially live-stock whose purpose is to generate tax revenue and vote either blue or red.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   

I don't know of anyone in any of the rural areas I have lived who were on welfare. It's only city people who get on that.

It's the purpose of living in the country, if your hungry you grow your own food and do your own hunting and raising of various small animals (like chickens) and livestock.
edit on 22-5-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I don't know of anyone in any of the rural areas I have lived who were on welfare. It's only city people who get on that.

I live in a rural state that is always going on about the low unemployment rate so I decided to look it up.

Unemployment Rates by State

Lowest rates: North Dakota, Vermont, Nebraska, Wyoming

Highest rates: California (LA), Illinois (Chicago), Nevada (Las Vegas), Rhode Island (Providence)

All the city folk want high speed rail so they can send their populations out from the cities and into the rural areas to share in the misery.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join