It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thought I Was Going To be Robbed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I work the night shift at one of my jobs (gotta have two, sometimes three to get where I want to be in another 20 years) and decided to stop at my bank's ATM at 0200 to see if my other check had hit the ledger.

So as I'm in the lane next to the ATM and smashing numbers and making selections, I notice a beat-to-#, late model 1990's Pontiac slowly pull in the teller lane next to me. It's 0200, the bank is OBVIOUSLY closed and I'm sufficiently paranoid as it is. The ATM also prevents me from having a clear line of sight on the vehicle as it pulls up in to the teller lane next to me. This had all the hallmarks of a meeting that wasn't going to go well....

With my free hand I retrieve my 1911, loaded with hydrashock rounds, from my hip. I situate it so that it is just below the weatherstripping of my truck's window. I also stopped punching numbers in to the ATM.

The vehicle had stopped just ahead of the ATM from my line of sight and the driver, an older black male, the only occupant, exited ...and he proceeded to as me directions to how one gets to the highway! He claimed to be from a town several hours North and headed several more hours South and became disorientated after stopping to get gas. A few simple directions and he was on his way to see his granddaughters graduation this weekend.

I really wish told that guy never to do that again.

edit: apparently 'window' is a naughty word?
...just below the weatherstripping of my truck's window.
edit on 22-5-2014 by Lipton because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Lipton

I understand.

Truly sad that mindset (survival) has become the norm these days. Whatever happened to yesteryear?

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
least the outcome of your story turned out to be positive. I think there is a certain vibe that comes with the night time. If you repeated this scenario during the day, you wouldn't have thought twice about it.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Man! That was a close one, that could have ended badly.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:28 AM
link   
It's situations like this that we hear about on the news. Thank you for being subtle with your weapon, as this could have become something entirely blown out of proportion. Glad your safe though, and glad the other guy got to go on his way without a gut full of lead.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Any chance he saw you pull the weapon out, or the movements that might hint at your doing so? I ask for a reason. Some time back, my husband and I were at the only ATM for our bank in the area, which is in a smaller town near where we live. Guy walked over from a parking lot next to the bank, and approached my side (passenger) of the car, and was talking about how he needed to get to the town we lived in to "look at a house". This was around 9-10 at night, and NO WAY he was looking at houses that late. We both got the feeling he might be armed, and simply deposited the check we'd brought, and didn't pull any money. After a bit, he finally walked off, but both of us were sure if we'd pulled cash, he would have made some move. He claimed he "needed a ride", and walked form a parked car, in front of a closed business, with, get this, other people at/in the car. We also speculated on whether he intended to con a ride, then pull a gun, and commit a crime with his buddies following. Well, after he walked off, we did report it to the local cops. Under half an hour later, and the car, and all with it, were GONE.

You might have had a real threat there, that he decided not to carry out.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Beast4rmDaEast
least the outcome of your story turned out to be positive. I think there is a certain vibe that comes with the night time. If you repeated this scenario during the day, you wouldn't have thought twice about it.

It was just an all-around strange happening. I'd never think to approach someone at night, at the ATM, just to ask directions. There isn't any shortage of gas stations that are open 24 hours a day and by his own admission he had just gotten fuel.

originally posted by: Snarl

I understand.

Truly sad that mindset (survival) has become the norm these days. Whatever happened to yesteryear?

I know exactly what you mean. I too miss Mayberry.

originally posted by: Luuke123
Man! That was a close one, that could have ended badly.

First time in nearly a decade of carrying that I've thought I had a legitimate cause to draw. I'm thankful it turned out to be nothing.

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Any chance he saw you pull the weapon out, or the movements that might hint at your doing so?

I'm not positive, but I would doubt that he had a clear line of sight. I had my left arm out the window mashing buttons and the ATM blocked the most of my silhouette.

But to be completely honest every hair on my neck was on end for a few minutes after he drove off.

edit on 22-5-2014 by Lipton because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I had a similar thing happen last summer at a drive-thru ATM. As I was punching the buttons, a man came from around the building, walking in my direction. Once he got within aqbout 20 feet I told him to stop or go another direction. He stopped for a second and did as I asked. I already had my 1911 in my hand, between my legs. Had he tried it he would've got his ass shot or run over. He was up to something, I have no doubts about it. You don't go near a person when they are doing business at an ATM machine. It's not good for your health.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
it could be a learning experience to never use an ATM machine at odd hours. There is a reason why most businesses and banks close before it gets too dark. Criminals are very observant and usually think two-steps ahead. Maybe a certain posture you gave out alerted him you packing heat. Good thing no one was hurt

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I had a similar encounter years ago.

A group of friends and I were walking through town pretty late. As we approached the bank parking lot we noticed a really beat up 80's sedan with two guys in it. One guy was out messing with the ATM and looked suspicious.

As we approached walking through the lot the guy yelled at me, he began to go on about how I stole his ATM card. Taken back and scared crapless at this point, my friend, who was crazy as hell, stepped up to the guy and pulled the butt of the pellet pistol he was carrying and showed it to the guy.

His demeanor instantly changed and my crazy friend threatened the guy and instructed him to get in his car and leave. To my amazement he/they did.

I am certain that if my friend didn't take initiative, we would have encountered a really bad situation.

I will never forget that night.

new topics

top topics

join