It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To The Fatty Running On The Track This Afternoon: I Really Hope You Read This.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: thedeadtruth

if you are coming at runners then you are coming at me.

Your stance is BS.... Here is the deal coming from someone who knows what he is talking about and can back it up with pictures and obstacle racing results and lifts. You sound like you don't even work out at all. Cross training is by and far the best way to burn fat and get physically fit and turn yourself into a machine while also eating decently and mainly controlling your calories and macros. I see guys all the time who are ripped up and aren't really in shape as they get gassed out in a simple boot camp work out or get passed in the first mile of a obstacle race by someone who doesn't even look fit.

I see fast runners who couldn't dead-lift there body weight and Ive seen power-lifters who would pass out if they had to climb a few flight of stairs or run a mile. IMO to be truly fit you need to be well balanced in cardiovascular endurance and strength. I do not buy into the crossfit program mainly because it is saturated/cultish and you have 1 weekend certified coach's giving bad advice and people sacrificing form for reps, and its expensive. Plus kipping pull ups look funny. You can do most there workouts on your own!

I however agree with the philosophy of crossfit about being well rounded in all aspects of fitness.

Im sorry im ranting but im tired of people knocking other peoples choice of exercise! If it works for you then do it! There isn't anything wrong with lifting/running/jogging/ etc.

I love obstacle racing as they really mix up endurance and functional strength together nicely.

The tough ones like Spartan will find your physical weakness.

And Just before the doubters show up.

Last month I ran 3 races in one week! The USMC mud run 6 miles 30 obstacles in South Carolina, 4 man team on Saturday who placed top 6%. The next day on Sunday i woke up and ran my first marathon it was very hilly and i was tired but I still placed 10 percentile. The next Saturday ran the Rugged Maniac and finished 12/150 in the competitive heat. Then 2 weeks ago I placed first 1/515 in a local obstacle race called the Zombie escape. I finished top 1% in the Spartan Sprint in Charlotte NC. Top 100 out of 6700 people. I also got first in a local pump n run competition where i benched my body weight 25 times and ran a 20:55 5k.

Ive done the Super Spartan in Wintergreen and finished top 5% in one of the hardest races Spartan ever held. It was on a ski slope 8 miles up and down mountains and 20+ obstacles. 20% of the entrants didnt finish the race. I saw people crawling up the mountain on hands and knees. Passed a marine who said bootcamp was nothing compared to this. All these results are online and can be verified, when it comes to fitness i walk the walk eat/live/breath it brother. It is my passion!!!

Im not a 140 lb skinny endurance athlete either. Im very muscular and fast for my size 5'11 185 lbs. 8% Body fat. PICS: w8lifter1.tripod.com...

Ive benched over 330 (on video), ive dead-lifted 415 and leg pressed 1000 lbs and have done 8 dead hang pull ups with 50 lbs on my back at 185 lbs while running 25-30 miles per week and doing a lot of cardio.

All i used to do was lift heavy weights and eat crap. I had muscle from years of lifting but under tons of fat and I couldn't run 1 mile! Ive gone from 248 lbs 24% body fat 1.7 years ago to a 5"11 185 lbs performance machine and my KNEES ARE GOOD STILL!

Now all of this might sound like bragging but its to prove a point.

The point is im 39 years old and im in better shape than most military guys who are 18-20 years old. My cholesterol is perfect, My EKG came back normal, and my resting heart rate is in the 40s-low 50s.. My blood-pressure is flawless. For this im thankful and blessed!

And you know what!?

I run, I sprint, I do some mid and long distance running I LIFT, I DO CALISTHENICS! I DO BOOT CAMP WORK OUTS.

And look at me!? But according to you it doesn't work..... The proof is in the pudding.
edit on 23-5-2014 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
When I feel up to get going outdoors, I either walk or bike. Nothing will stop you like a kneecap going out, and having too much extra weight isn't going to help it. Plantar fasciitis is another one that will make you take some unexpected downtime. Jog if you want, but I'll agree with some others here that it's not really the best option.

And if you really want some cardio with impact that wont excessively strain the joints, get a resistance flywheel style rowing machine. That thing will seriously kick your butt 10 ways more than a treadmill will (you really have to pace yourself), and some models will even fold up enough to fit under a couch when not in use.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: ker2010

I would have to agree with you. In my limited experience I feel that cross training gives me the most well rounded workout.

But in thedeadtruth's defense, none of this has anything to do with the OP, other than commenting on the OP's choice of exercise. Even with that being said, I am have trouble telling how this thread has anything to do with conspiracies or denying ignorance.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: purplemer
i've noticed a human trend to mock people more for trying to better themselves than if they were to stay static.

if someone has very pale skin and you walk by, you don't really think about it; but if that same person is seen on the beach trying to tan they'll get mocked. same goes for thin/overweight people at the gym. \

it is good to see something other than that

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Bob Sholtz

Well, laying on the beach and getting a tan isn't exactly trying to better yourself. It's actually not a healthy habit at all.

As for the OP, I am of the same opinion as the runner who responded. The person writing the original letter is a condescending prick. I'm one to mind my own business hoping everyone else minds their own as well, but I know we're a judgmental species, always comparing ourselves to everyone else. Makes me sick. So this guy decides he's going to judge someone else and then post about it and we're all supposed to pat him on the back like he did something good?

Instead of doing what he did, he could have actually, you know, acted like an actual human being and went up to the runner and offered to accompany him on his run or something, like a real social activity. Maybe a great real-life friendship could have started. Am I supposed to be all awe-inspired that some self-serving jackass made a stupid social media spectacle out of the guy? I am incredibly sad about the way the definition of the word "social" has changed.

edit on 23-5-2014 by CoherentlyConfused because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I also got first in a local pump n run competition where i benched my body weight 25 times and ran a 20:55 5k.

Good work on that time
Iirc that should place you around 70% in your age range. Last year I hit the road hard and ran 5ks at an average 23mins with a PB at 21.39. ~45 minute 10ks. Like you, my resting heart rate runs from 48 to low 50s and it can recover from 170 to 110 in around 2 minutes.

I put a lot of it down to hill runs and varied road runs with a group that includes ultra-runners, marathon runners and mid-rangers like me. Added to that was twice weekly boxing, boot camps and circuit-training.

From this January to April I almost stopped training for the running and that 5k time became a sweaty 35mins. In the past month, it's back to early morning sprints and long runs to claw back that sub-25 average and focus on hitting the sub-20 that was so close last year.

As far as I see it, it's each to their own, but the way you've gone about it works for the MMA guys as well as competitive runners. The feel-good factor and runner's high are both goals and rewards.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bob Sholtz
i've noticed a human trend to mock people more for trying to better themselves than if they were to stay static.

if someone has very pale skin and you walk by, you don't really think about it; but if that same person is seen on the beach trying to tan they'll get mocked. same goes for thin/overweight people at the gym. \

it is good to see something other than that

yeah...we humans don't like others showing that we are failures.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Good Job! And don't worry it will come back fast. Fitness is so easy to lose which is why I do not plan on stopping. But once your body has been in that (shape) condition before it doesn't take as long to get there as someone who has never been in shape.

Everyone wants to say there program is the best. Now im not saying its healthy to run 3-4 marathons a year. The marathon I did was just a bucket list thing. But some running is great and it will help in fitness and weight loss.

There is always research that says something is bad, then they say its good again, then its bad. Kinda like whole eggs.

The only thing i know 100% for sure is if someone cleans up there diet, calories, and gets the proper nutrients and macros and if they do a combination of any type of strength/endurance training, lifting, calisthenics, running, HIIT, sprints, etc they will be fit!

Luckily I belong to a group of 100 active local racers who do mostly obstacle racing. They do a lot of cross training. Ive seen people lose weight off jogging alone. But strength training is gonna have more factor on overall body composition then steady state cardio. Thats why its important to do those push ups, pull ups, lift a few weights along with running plus who wants to be weak?

I like the well balanced approach. There are people faster than me, there are people stronger than me but i rarely ever run into someone who is both faster and stronger. I try to keep my fitness as balanced as possible.

I wont win a marathon, and i wont win power-lifting competition, but nor am i training to. I train to be fit.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Yeah this is it. More muscle burns more calories and a healthier cardiovascular system helps to keep the furnaces burning for training. Like you, I don't care about winning much; it's about beating myself and finishing in the top 20% in races.

Balance is key and variety keeps us focused. I recently read an article on Mo Farah and how it was a strength and conditioning programme that elevated him from a talent to a world-class athlete. So yeah, I agree that the workouts help to develop the running and combine to burn excess fat and improve all-round fitness.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
You all think that this letter is ok? Seriously? So could i post something like "To the Fags of the world.." (Just an example i have nothing against the gay comminity)and insult them around every corner BUT as long i say good job and compliment them, all the insults are meaningless? I dont understand how anyone can think this letter wanst supposed to be hurtful and comedic. If the writer simply wanted to tell the guy he was pproud of him he could have done it alot easier than taking all the time to write what he did. He didnt just sit down and type that he sat and thought it out purposfuly insulting and making fun, with the few upers here and there for one reason so he doesnt get bashed for being a "obesphobe". Very unclassy and childish.
edit on 23-5-2014 by zigzag1123 because: fixes

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: CoherentlyConfused

Well, laying on the beach and getting a tan isn't exactly trying to better yourself. It's actually not a healthy habit at all.

indeed. i didn't mean to imply that it was healthy; merely that having a tan is usually seen (by those who would judge) as better than having pallid skin. whether or not being very tan is healthy matters not to those doing the mocking. this could just as well apply to working out too much.

it probably has something to do with not fitting in and humans giving in to our tribal tendencies of "hate the different ones".
edit on 23-5-2014 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Great post! And Great Thread I might add. Inspiring.

I'm tired of all the cynics out here. They debunk all motivational stuff, all the exercise fads, all the motivational films, and to what end? They just make people feel bad to make themselves feel good.

My favorite quotes is this "...The best exercise is...the one that you'll do."

I get it, that, just jogging and doing the latest diet fab won't get you anywhere, but you need to get started somewhere. Getting started is half the battle. Then it becomes researching and making healthy choices and changing up your routine and adding new things.

I jog as well everyday now. just started a few weeks ago. I do a lot of other stuff too. My cardio is getting better almost daily.

Let's quit being so cynical and negative and acting like we know it all. We don't. Don't be a doubter or a hater or the PC term - a realist. LOL I hate people that say that. You get nothing out of life, from being negative in this way. Grow up peeps.

edit on 23-5-2014 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Look, you guys can argue the merits of your respective workout patterns all day long. There's science to support and not support both sides. Bottom line is, there's more than one way to skin a cat. What works for some might not work for others. Motivation and enjoying what you're doing is key, especially for those just starting out. Whatever works, there is no magic to dropping pounds. So many "broscientists" try and overcomplicate things the the nth degree. Calories burned greater than calories consumed. Not too difficult.

Im 6' flat and two years ago, from May to September, I went from couch and 264 pounds to 10 mile runs and 211 pounds. Work, kids and full time college courses threw me off track but in April I ditched the excuses and got back into it. At 267 I started doing Insanity and just recently added in sprint intervals and weight training and today weighed in at 242 about 5 weeks later and going strong, feeling fantastic. Knocked out an easy 5k yesterday after not having run for any sort of distance in some time.

This isnt a back patting session; point I'm trying to make is, I've lost weight through solely long and slow cardio AND high intensity interval training. When I got down to 211 through just jogging, guess what? I was pretty cut because there was muscle under the layers of fat. I plan on starting to mix in more distance running because I'm getting my endurance back.

My goal, like a lot of others, is to drop some pounds but I also want to get into great shape and will utilize both low and high intensity cardio and weight training. Each have their place, one isn't superior to the other. It depends on the person and what they want out of it and what they will stick with. Lets let the fitness snobbery die in a shallow grave huh?

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Terrific.

Really nice.

Almost makes me want to go out and do something about my frighteningly expanding gut.

Almost.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: thisguyrighthere

originally posted by: thedeadtruth

The Jogging fad is marketing over science. The feel good factor over critical thinking.

This post is an advert for ignorance.

True. Not only is jogging a worthless exercise but it's also a dangerous one. Especially for the out of shape. So these people figure "hey, I'll start jogging to get into shape" and they practice one of the least efficient methods to do so and end up hurting their ankles, knees, back and quit.

Walking = High benefit / low suck
Jogging = Low benefit / High suck
Sprinting = High benefit / Low suck

the jogging delusion

They're better off walking but everything around them says "JOG, JOG, JOG!" So they get hurt, pissed off, worn out and quit.

Not to mention a heart attack.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

originally posted by: thedeadtruth
Funny you should say something like this on ATS.

The Jogging fad is marketing over science. The feel good factor over critical thinking.

This post is an advert for ignorance.

Yeah, it's unfortunate. I see people who've been jogging for years and they're still flabby all over. Diet has a lot to do with it but a perfect diet and jogging alone will not shape a perfect body.

Weight training and high-intensity cardio are the keys to a toned body. Here's an easy example: compare long-distance runners to sprinters. Jogging is ok every now and then for endurance training but sprinting is MUCH better for your physique and takes a quarter of the time. People just don't do it because it's "hard."

The reason they are that way (still flabby) has nothing to do with jogging. It has to do with diet as you pointed out and LACK OF STRENGTH TRAINING! The guys who are super skinny who run are that way because of genetics and running TONS OF MILES! The elite Marathoners put in 80-120 miles a week! So yes if you run that much its def gonna eat away the muscle mass. But why does it have to be about extremes? I keep my muscle fine on 25-30 miles of running a week. I sprint fast, but also have the endurance to leave a muscle bound gym rat who stays inside a stuffy gym and just lifts weights in the dust. And I can still push a fairly decent amount of weight.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I have been working out for well over 7 years now at a couple of Fitworks, here in Ohio. Mostly lifting weights. It keeps me fit and elevates my mood. I see many people join, come and go. Some of them work out for years and years and never seem to lose any weight. Some people don't seem to understand that they need to change their eating habits to keep weight off (if that's why they are working out in the first place). Eat less. Eat healthy foods. I've always said looking fit is about 80 to 85% of what you eat and the rest is exercise. If you are overweight and you cannot change your eating habits you may lose some weight but you are still not getting it: You're like a dog chasing its tail. Simply stated, you are what you eat.

Something to remember: We all can't look like nude gods no matter how little we eat and how much we exercise. Your body type (ectomorph, endomorph & mesomorph), genetics & age also play a large role in what we look like in our birthday suits, obviously.

One last thing: It's better to be overweight and someone who exercises regularly than someone who is overweight and does not. Exercise is not just for losing weight, it definitely has positive emotional & psychological benefits as well.

Take care everyone and have a great day!

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Kgdetroit
Sounds right. You need to mix it up with different routines.

Also a good workout can be found other ways our bodies were meant to be doing to stay in shape. Working in the yard for example a few hours a week is an excellent way to work the less often used muscles and stretching to keep limber. Playing with your dog at the park or whatever involves using muscles and not handy fools that do it for you. I personally take issue with the leaf blower. What lazy bastard invented that thing? A person who can't be bothered to rake, sweep and bag is who.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

" The point is im 39 years old " Seriously . congrats . But be careful in your 40s. Because mate, stuff just does not work the same. Or heal the same.

A few points..... Deny ignorance & disclose conspiracies.

(1) The original post was about a runner writing a "letter of inspiration" to an overweight runner. It was arrogant and pushed an OCD runners mindset.

It was ignorant on many levels. So we were denying ignorance.

In my opinion and experience.... A simple head nod and smile is all you need to convey respect for another runner.

(2) I attempted to point out the jogging fad was a marketing idea. Started in the 70s. And it has since been backed up by lazy / dishonest academics. Simply because other forms of exercise or stimulation is too hard to study.

I do have direct experience with this conspiracy with multiple academics at universities.

I will explain hopefully without boring you ...... just over 10 years ago...

I am a mortician that specializes in lager cases. One of the main end of life issues was septic ulcers, causing amputation. Weight, medical conditions and gravity can make normal exercise impossible if not very dangerous. All that needed to happen to stop this happening was to increase circulation in the legs. But how to do that in people that refuse to move...

The solution was simple. A very powerful vibration therapy platform they could sit in front of and put their feet on. Even in a wheelchair. Just a simple muscle pump going on.

It worked..... The Doctors involved with high risk amputation patients were happy with the results. ( black skin going back to pink. Ulcers staying away etc.... )

But then the local university got involved. I had a mate who thought they would be interested. But guess what. Their ONLY perimeters for testing was for cardio. They said for it to work, the person had to jump around on the platform.

I pointed out there was so much wrong with that picture, I did not know where to start.

Some where so large they could not even stand properly. Some had very bad joint injuries. Others had blood pressure issues so bad a walk to the kitchen could kill them. Others only had one leg left.

When I pushed a few of them on the logic behind it. They told me they could not get a grant and permission unless it was cardio centric. Certain companies would just shell out cash for a grant as long as it could be used to sell that idea. I told them that was highly unethical . That limiting thinking like that could kill people.

They did not care. ..... And they still asked for money and equipment to do a study that would be unsafe and useless to our goals. They REFUSED to sign documents to stick to safety guidelines put in place by us.

I got 3 calls from different Uni's up and down the country. Same story, same game.

When I told them to stick it..... They did not take it well. And pretty much told me they can make sure the idea is never taken seriously. And they sure did. Articles, radio TV. .... but they failed.

Here is the kicker..... Some are now working in the field. But only because the obesity crisis is getting so bad. The academics have been forced to admit defeat and look at other methods.

Conspiracy .... ? A group of powerful individuals / companies. Limiting / blocking ideas purely motivated by money and ego. And using links to the media to brainwash people into thinking you can only fight obesity related issues with cardio. .....

fits my definition.

Note: I still do all my at risk of amputation work for free.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

If there is one thing I learned about physical fitness during the ARMY, it is this: Eat RIGHT, throw your own body weight around in every way imaginable and run until you puke, then do it some more.

I've watched people lose literally, not figuratively, hundreds of pounds of body weight without a gym or any "GNC" product.

THIS FIELD MANUAL IS PUBLIC AND WRITTEN AT AN 8TH GRADE READING LEVEL

armypubs.army.mil...

AND NOW THIS:

SMOKEBOMB!!!
edit on 993pm552014Fri000000kAmerica/Chicago1 by BangoDukeINF because: (no reason given)

edit on 997pm552014FriukAmerica/Chicago1 by BangoDukeINF because: THIS AND THAT

edit on 000pm562014FriukAmerica/Chicago1 by BangoDukeINF because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join