It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MCdonald's...? Walmart....? When did they start forcing people to...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on May, 21 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
...Work for them?

I see a lot of people whining about the wages places like Mcdonald's and Walmart pay. I didn't realize these whiny people were being forced to work for these companies. What are they blackmailing them? Are they threatening to murder their families or something?

Okay so seriously, if you don't like what a company offers as far as salary and benefits, why not just find another job? It sickens me that people take a job they know without a doubt pays in pennies, then whine because they are only earning pennies. It's called entitlement. Go find a real career if you want to go make more money. You knew how much money that company paid from the start. Mcdonalds is cheap for a reason. Partially bc they serve garbage pretend food, and partially they pay their employee's garbage.

So why is this an issue? I personally don't understand how some people think...

+10 more 
posted on May, 21 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: theyknowwhoyouare

The problem is that are are little to no jobs available to most of those searching. The corporations you listed, along with many others, are taking advantage of the situation by paying their workers a little as legally possible.

“No business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country.” Franklin D. Roosevelt (1933, Statement on National Industrial Recovery Act)

The main problem is that the government, state and federal, has fallen far behind in keeping the minimum wage in line with the current cost of living. With currency inflation and the obscene cost of almost everything these days, minimum wage is not even close to a living wage.

DC

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

"They" as in utility companies, grocery stores, medical facilities, landlords and the like?

Could these workers possibly be blackmailed by the need for food, shelter, and medical care?

Is it so very easy to just "find another job" in a market that barely has any jobs to begin with?

It's easy to generalize. It isn't so easy to "walk a mile...".

J

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Maybe some people have not born with the silver spoon in their mouth and find the golden job you seem to say there is. Not all people are well eduacated nor come from life situation where there are choices. There are broken homes, single parents, there are people who have found them in hars situation, even veterans who are mistreated by the system.

You seem to put yourself above them who needs most of your understanding and respect. Im sure your mom still wash your laundry. Im sad for you.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: theyknowwhoyouare
...Work for them?

I see a lot of people whining about the wages places like Mcdonald's and Walmart pay. I didn't realize these whiny people were being forced to work for these companies. What are they blackmailing them? Are they threatening to murder their families or something?

Okay so seriously, if you don't like what a company offers as far as salary and benefits, why not just find another job? It sickens me that people take a job they know without a doubt pays in pennies, then whine because they are only earning pennies. It's called entitlement. Go find a real career if you want to go make more money. You knew how much money that company paid from the start. Mcdonalds is cheap for a reason. Partially bc they serve garbage pretend food, and partially they pay their employee's garbage.

You obviously have never lived in a small town. When you have companies like Walmart move in and kill off all the small businesses then there is no place left to work. Also unless moving suddenly became free people can't afford to just pack up and move to a new town. Believe it or not there isn't enough good paying jobs to go around there is truth in the saying the world needs ditch diggers too. These companies make hundreds of millions and in Walmarts case billions in profits it wouldn't hurt them to pay their employees a decent wage. And it's because they don't pay them a decent wage it is costing the taxpayers billions in subsidies for their employees.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

...Work for them?

Wow! You have no idea have you. Let me turn this on it's head:

Do you really think that these companies would get away with offering such low wages if the "market" was so buoyant and healthy that people could walk into a.n.other job with much better pay ?

Do you really believe that sooooo many people are soooooo dumb as to carry on working for crap wages when they walk past adverts from companies desperate to hire people on higher wages?

This is nasty side of capitalism that the defenders of capitalism are trying to avoid with statements like yours. "Oh its not the system at fault it's the stupid worker". Capitalism needs unemployment to function to force wages down. Defenders of capitalism are also defenders of high immigration since it provides a pool of people willing to work for very low wages. FYI i am not against normal immigration , I am against this mass transport of low wage workers by directors driving Mercs.

Unless you have lived on another planet for the last few years then you must have noticed how throughout the world people are starting to rally against the systems (market based) and the beneficiaries (ever richer rich, dictators, oligarchs, sheiks etc) of the system. Western economies will collapse last as they have a lot of capital and history to prop up them for a while.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: xDeadcowx

See, I don't believe that. I believe those that are "stuck" in those jobs are "stuck" there because they choose not to actually look for work. I have been the low man on the totem pole. I am hardly above that now but I am working my way up. I went and found other jobs during the recession with no skills outside of stocking shelves and cutting meat. I had to talk to many people and kept looking for the better gig even after I found one. Most people think that filing out an online application is the same thing as looking for work. I believe that's for profiling purposes only.

Though I am making 14/hr right now I am back in school bc that is the next step for me to get further ahead in life. I come from a poor family and have worked for everything I own. I have a couple felonies and a family too, yet I can still put the effort in to better myself. If I can find work anyone can.

I know some areas don't have anything available but instead of whining that there are no other choices either move somewhere or find alternative ways to fill your pockets.

The only excuse I can believe is physical or mental impairment.

People like to whine but do not take steps to change their situation.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

What you seem to be saying is that, "Dry cake is hard to eat ... without a glass of cold milk to wash it down with."

LOL LOL

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

HAHAHA

Yes there ARE in fact that many stupid, comfortable, lazy individuals out there. Obviously you have not been around other people very much.

If you are not able to better yourself it is YOUR fault.

Have you ever been to a day labor place? Go work for one of those and you will see that most people stay on the bottom out of choice. Too lazy to put any effort into their lives. Those that go there and don't stay long are those that are willing to put in the effort. Someone eventually see's that they are worth the investment. Others laze about all day, get caught sleeping on the job, do as little as humanly possible.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Everything seemed find till this Obamacare ordeal.... these burger flippers, etc are mostly saving going to school and the way that works is THEY ARE FORCED TO PAY OFF A HUGE F'N DEBT!
edit on 21-5-2014 by beautyofperil because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyJae

"They" as in utility companies, grocery stores, medical facilities, landlords and the like?

Could these workers possibly be blackmailed by the need for food, shelter, and medical care?

Is it so very easy to just "find another job" in a market that barely has any jobs to begin with?

It's easy to generalize. It isn't so easy to "walk a mile...".

J

I have walked the mile many times. I was willing to walk the mile which is why I have always found better work. There is no excuse.

If you do not like your situation then change it.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

What you seem to be saying is that, "Dry cake is hard to eat ... without a glass of cold milk to wash it down with."

LOL LOL

No... he's saying that companies like that kill businesses and that we (the tax payers) are actually subsidizing these companies because their employees can't afford to live off the wages thus they enter into getting government assistance which we pay for.

Walmart, for example, is a large business-killing welfare queen.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyJae

There is no excuse.

If you do not like your situation then change it.

It isn't quite that easy for everyone. There are valid extenuating circumstances that could "stick" one in an undesirable situation.

I've always been one of the "lucky" ones, as you sound to be. However, not everyone may be as "lucky" as we.

J
edit on 5/21/2014 by LadyJae because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

HAHAHA

Yes there ARE in fact that many stupid, comfortable, lazy individuals out there. Obviously you have not been around other people very much.

Have you ever been to a day labor place? Go work for one of those and you will see that most people stay on the bottom out of choice. Too lazy to put any effort into their lives. Those that go there and don't stay long are those that are willing to put in the effort. Someone eventually see's that they are worth the investment. Others laze about all day, get caught sleeping on the job, do as little as humanly possible.

In the morning, when I drive by the daily labor places in my town, I see the exact same faces that I see begging for money later in the day. Just because you managed to scrape by a little better than the homeless guys doesn't mean they aren't trying.

From what you say, I get by better than you yet I don't think you are lazy and I'd easily advocate on your behalf to better your situation. It's all a scale. You say you are not lazy but the people who are poorer than you are. Do you think it fair if wealthy people just assumed you were being completely lazy for only making your 14 bucks an hour?

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Without a doubt!! Can I have a glass of milk now?

Until people Do something to raise the costs to Walmart (and other large chains) ... this is how Merca will continue to function. Whatever happened to antitrust oversight? It got bought!!

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

...Work for them?

You obviously have never lived in a small town. When you have companies like Walmart move in and kill off all the small businesses then there is no place left to work. Also unless moving suddenly became free people can't afford to just pack up and move to a new town. Believe it or not there isn't enough good paying jobs to go around there is truth in the saying the world needs ditch diggers too. These companies make hundreds of millions and in Walmarts case billions in profits it wouldn't hurt them to pay their employees a decent wage. And it's because they don't pay them a decent wage it is costing the taxpayers billions in subsidies for their employees.

Actually I am from Bradford county PA. Doesn't get any smaller than that.

You know what I did? I moved!

Change sucks... Having to suffer through hard times while making those changes sucks.... Having to leave friends and family behind to get where you want to be in life sucks... But if that's what it takes then so be it. If you don't lie your situation then change it.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

I agree a100%, but your wasting your time.

If you suggest that is possible to make your life better without a plan to take from the pockets of the rich, well your just an insensitive guy.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   

What you believe, and what your narrow experience has been, are not relevant to the facts which affect the entire employment market as a whole.

Also, someone who can afford to move from one state to another, or even from one town to another, is probably earning quite enough thank you. People who have no work, cannot afford moving vans, deposits on mortgages on new dwellings, or deposits on rent.

Your expectations are ridiculous therefore.

The reality is, that if there is not sufficient work in a town, city, or state, to employ everyone who would like to work and earn, then a) it is not POSSIBLE for the worst affected to improve their circumstances, unless they are very fortunate indeed, and b) it is not for any one person, or any minority of people who ARE able to improve their circumstances, to bitch and whine about the rest. If you pulled your head from without the space betwixt your buttocks for a moment, you might realise that far from getting ahead by sweat alone (which has not been possible in the developed world since well before the 1930s), you are getting on with it because you have been lucky.

That's right. For all the sweat which beads your brow, and all the tension headaches you get from just barely balancing your accounts every once in a while, the only thing that defines you apart from anyone else who has not had it easy, is luck. You have had some of late, and others have not.

Please do not think for a moment that because your outcomes have been better than your peers, that you stand above them. You do not. You are not in a position to dispense judgement upon them, and NO one is in a position to support an employers right to offer anything less than a living wage, because that position is utterly indefensible.

What you might also want to remember, is that the currency in the US, the dollar, is created by drawing cheques on an account which has no funds in it, is based solely on debt. So, remember, in getting the better job, and "earning" more "money" (read : lies) you are actually a bigger part of the problem in your country, and indeed the developed world, than all the shop floor level Walmart employees in the USA. It's not the people living hand over fist on bugger all, who are allowing the vast fraud which is the dollar to continue. Hell, if it was just those guys, the entire thing would collapse eventually, and despite the horror one might be filled at the idea, that would be better than continuing the virtual slavery that exists in the US as a result of the continuing saga of the banks and the government robbing your citizens blind.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

HAHAHA

In the morning, when I drive by the daily labor places in my town, I see the exact same faces that I see begging for money later in the day. Just because you managed to scrape by a little better than the homeless guys doesn't mean they aren't trying.

From what you say, I get by better than you yet I don't think you are lazy and I'd easily advocate on your behalf to better your situation. It's all a scale. You say you are not lazy but the people who are poorer than you are. Do you think it fair if wealthy people just assumed you were being completely lazy for only making your 14 bucks an hour?

HAHAHA you ever work with them? Or do you just drive by them? I have worked there and I have worked with them. Most of them have to beg later because they spent their little fifty dollars on mcdonalds, lottery tickets, and drugs/alcohol. RINSE/WASH/REPEAT... no real desire to do anything but whine about the cycle they leave themselves in.

I was homeless for 6 months when I was 20. I got out of that situation, those that are still there to this day don't do anything to change that.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

I totally agree. Well stated!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join