It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have aliens already visited Earth? Nasa book suggests that ancient rock art could have been created

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
That's the name of the article here:

Daily Mail

It's also being picked up by other media outlets.

I'm confused about the connection to NASA.

It was edited for Nasa by Douglas Vakoch, Director of Interstellar Message Composition at the Seti Institute.
With the help of other experts he tackles a number of topics including the prospect of life on other planets and the means through which we might send or receive a message.

Also, the PDF linked in the article doesn't work. It's an e-book, according to the article. When searching NASA's website, I could only find mention of it in this PDF, in the "News from the Chief" section. It's the blue section on the first page.

PDF

It seems interesting so I wanted to get it out there, although I'm wondering why the link to NASA doesn't work, and where the PDF of the book release has gone.

The article from The Blaze also has a broken link to the book.

The Blaze

Though the White House maintains that there has not yet been credible evidence that suggests the presence of extra terrestrial life, a new volume of an official NASA e-book released this week details the hunt for such evidence by the space agency and other organizations and even suggests that unusual patterns cut into rock actually “might have been made by aliens.”

Has anyone downloaded the book? Sounds interesting!

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Here they have it > sploid.gizmodo.com...

Sounds good, will give it a read later.

edit on 21-5-2014 by Fisherr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   
This link didn't work
edit on 21-5-2014 by Jonjonj because: bad link

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Fisherr
My apologies for the repeat sir.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
www.nasa.gov/pdf/607104main_CosmosCulture-ebook.pdf

I found this though

Link works as of date of post

In chapter 3 part 12 you may find the said information

edit on 21-5-2014 by Jonjonj because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-5-2014 by Jonjonj because: added info

edit on 21-5-2014 by Jonjonj because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: raedar

Daily Mail

I'm confused about the connection between the headline and the story! Talk about taking things out of context, Daily Mail...

a new volume of an official NASA e-book released this week details the hunt for such evidence by the space agency and other organizations and even suggests that unusual patterns cut into rock actually “might have been made by aliens.”

Where in fact the quote in context appears to be:

‘We can say little, if anything, about what these patterns signify, why they were cut into rocks, or who created them,’ he writes.

‘For all intents and purposes, they might have been made by aliens.’

Hardly the same thing!

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Rob48

All of the articles about it are a hot mess. Still not sure how NASA fits in. The broken NASA link gave me the ? vibe.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Sound and fury signifying nothing. The article is very misleading, or at least the title is. So a University Professor makes a "claim" that aliens "could have" made them:

In one section, for example, William Edmondson from the University of Birmingham considers the possibility that rock art on Earth is of extraterrestrial origin.

‘We can say little, if anything, about what these patterns signify, why they were cut into rocks, or who created them,’ he writes.

‘For all intents and purposes, they might have been made by aliens.’

Further, the book is "edited" for NASA for the purpose of providing.....actually here"

Archaeology, Anthropology and Interstellar Communication details the methods through which we might communicate with aliens.

Emphasis mine.

So its doesn't suggest what the author at the daily mail suggests it does. Sensational at best but still worth looking at.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

The start of an election campaign?

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   

just had to do it

"NASA pulled the book and press release from their site" I don't think they want to look stupid? or did they let something slip?

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: raedar

I have read the article, but not the e-book, or the pdf. since it is my preference to actually have pages and covers and so on, the feel of paper beneath my fingers when reading extensive documents.

However, the article draws some interesting conclusions, and parrots some of the more interesting suggestions made by the authors of the work itself. Frankly, I find it VERY interesting that the idea that this planet has received visitors, is even given character space in this article, or indeed the document from which it is derived, it being a NASA publication.

That said, I think the suggestion was made to illuminate us to the fact that we have no real idea who would have carved, etched, and drawn the figures involved with some of the most ancient examples. That said, I find it very unlikely that the renderings they describe were etched by the hand of a space faring species, since such a species would have to have been capable of much more effective use of contrast, a deeper understanding of physical form, and a greater respect for accuracy than the depictions would suggest, if they were to have created and be capable of piloting a craft which can ply the space between stars.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Is it just me or does the image from the 'Alien rock Art" remind you of somebody?

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Harte nails it:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Edmondson is using the example of Neolithic rock carvings in Northumberland to illustrate a point he is making about the inherent difficulty in communicating with any possible extraterrestrial species. His example shows that difficulty by observing that we cannot even find the meaning in rock art created by our own species. Edmondson's argument starts at the bottom of page 241 in the PDF. Nobody in the book is suggesting anything like what the article claims. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rob48

originally posted by: raedar

Daily Mail

I'm confused about the connection between the headline and the story! Talk about taking things out of context, Daily Mail...

Why does anyone read the Daily Mail and expect to get anything intelligent or accurate from it?

They are horrible on both accounts, especially when it comes to science stories.

All they do is make sensational headlines for hits.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: JimOberg
Harte nails it:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Edmondson is using the example of Neolithic rock carvings in Northumberland to illustrate a point he is making about the inherent difficulty in communicating with any possible extraterrestrial species. His example shows that difficulty by observing that we cannot even find the meaning in rock art created by our own species. Edmondson's argument starts at the bottom of page 241 in the PDF. Nobody in the book is suggesting anything like what the article claims. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Glad you copied it, because ATS deleted my post.

Seems a bit unfair. There was nothing off-topic in it (unlike this one!) and it wasn't rude (surprising, for one of mine.)

Harte

new topics

top topics

join