It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Outrage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I just saw article on my Local Fox News Station, Fox25 here in Boston, Masachusetts USA.

A private Jet company subcontracts its planes to the Government, to transport suspected terrorist prisoners to countries where torture is legal. In direct violation of the Geneva Convention.

This Jet Company is Local.

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 06:46 AM
link   
This has been going on for a while.
They send suspected terrorists to countries like Jordan to see if they can extract information from them.

Tihs article mentions the airline I think you were saying was local:

The Australian: Private jet takes men for 'torture'
LONDON: An executive jet is being used by US intelligence agencies to fly terrorist suspects to countries that use torture in their prisons.

The movements of the Gulfstream 5, leased by agents from the US Defence Department and the CIA, are detailed in confidential logs obtained by The Sunday Times which cover more than 300 flights.

Countries with poor human rights records to which the Americans have delivered prisoners include Egypt, Syria and Uzbekistan, according to the files. The logs have prompted allegations from critics that the agency is using such regimes to carry out "torture by proxy" a charge denied by the US Government.

The Gulfstream and a similarly anonymous-looking Boeing 737 are hired by US agents from Premier Executive Transport Services, a private company in Massachusetts.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
wouldn't it be more outrageous to claim that the US cares about the Geneva convention?

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Good, Im glad to hear we are dealng wth these people in the right way. Keep it up

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Outraged, yes.... surprised, no.

Early October 2002, Canadian citizien Maher Arar, after being detained in New York during a stop-over, was deported to Syria even though he was carrying a valid Canadian passport. He was beaten and tortured for just a little over a year before Canadian officials obtained his release.

Maher Arar: Timeline

This is What They Did to Me by Maher Arar

I don't pretend to know if the allegations against him were/are true, but even if they are, he should have been sent back to Canada, instead of just being told that's where he was going, not sent off to be tortured. After all, as previously mentioned, this is against international law.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
Good, Im glad to hear we are dealng wth these people in the right way. Keep it up

In this new world disorder, It'll be you, or one of your loved ones next. It's just a matter of time for them to like you for something. The vast majority of us mean absolutely nothing to these powers that be.

It is incumbant upon all free people to care about these issues of human rights. Conservative and Liberal.

This administration has worked masterfully in so many ways to skirt the laws of which this nation and the world have been guided by for decades. And for these dark deeds, they answer to no one. Sending prisoners to other countries who knowingly use torture is against the law. But it happens. It will continue to happen until we the people demand a stop to it.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADHDsux4me
I just saw article on my Local Fox News Station, Fox25 here in Boston, Masachusetts USA.

A private Jet company subcontracts its planes to the Government, to transport suspected terrorist prisoners to countries where torture is legal. In direct violation of the Geneva Convention.

-ADHDsux4me

Since when do terrorist have Geneva Convention rights? Do our enemies use the Geneva Convention? I'm sick of America being handicapped by playing by the rules when our enemies are not.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

Originally posted by ADHDsux4me

-ADHDsux4me

Since when do terrorist have Geneva Convention rights? Do our enemies use the Geneva Convention? I'm sick of America being handicapped by playing by the rules when our enemies are not.

the crucial word is "suspected" terrorist.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331

Agreed

Torture is bad, but letting another 9/11 happen is worse. This is war people - they don't play by the rules, so niether should we.

It's like football - someone hits your QB late, well, you wait for that guy to be in a vulnerable position and you lay the boom stick on his ass.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 05:17 AM
link   
"I'm sick of America being handicapped by playing by the rules when our enemies are not" implies that US is playing by the rules, which is a bit far fetched, no? Did you ever consider that this is exaxctly the reasoning that your enemies use - why would we play by the rules when the US used every dirty trick in the book to get what they wants?
an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - ghandi

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 05:21 AM
link   
by the way: Gods chosen people, isn't that the "terrorists"? At least, that's what they claim, but hey, so do you - you figure it out

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Maybe the Germans will do the same with Rumsfield and that bunch for war crimes, yes Bush too, the're all disgraces to America!

Torture!
Radioactive Projectiles! (Depleted Urainium).
Napalm (now called incindiary explosive, same Sh**).
Invading Countries without UN approval that have not started a war or inflicted any harm.
Genecide of thousand of men, women and children.
Endangering soldiers lives with improper munitions and armour.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Assuming that the premise I am seeing advanced here is true -- which I seriously doubt, but let's go with it for a paragraph -- then the outrage is over the idea that the U.S. sends prisoners to foreign countries to be tortured, rather than the idea that these countries are reputed to practice torture.

Am I missing something here?

Breathless chestbeating and torrid allegations aside, I suspect the real scandal here is: U.S. Honors Extradition Treaties.

Please help me understand how this "scandal" makes any sense whatsoever.

posted on Dec, 1 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I agree that torturing terrorists to extract information that may prevent lives of American citizens/soldiers a fair game.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Extraordinary Rendition are powers given to the CIA in 1998 by Bill Clinton. It allows the CIA to send prisoners to other countries for interrogation, because the prisoners may be more receptive to opening up because they are in their own culture. The CIA bundles the prisoner off on a plane with a list of questions they would like answered, and take them to the middle-east. This is a fact. George Tenet testified in the 9-11 commission in September 2002 that, previous to 9-11, the US had performed over 70 such 'renderings'.

U.S. Decries Abuse but Defends Interrogations
Introduction of legislation prohibiting Extraordinary Rendition by Edward Markey

In the Intelligence Reform bill George Bush is pushing right now, there is a provision to amend these powers. Two of these changes are to allow the other departments to transfer suspected terrorists and to expand the transfers to countries not of birth.

ABA Statement on 'Extraordinary Rendition' Provisions
Deportation provision argued

I have plenty of links about this, but I only used the US ones, as I didn't want you to have to wonder about foreign media bias

new topics

top topics

join