It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Questionable Behavior of 'God's Prophets' from the Abrahamic Religions

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:19 PM
I dont need God to be anything more or less then what He is . You may need Him to be some man made invention in your own mind in order to feel significant but I will take the humble position because He did create the worm before He created man .. a reply to: AfterInfinity

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:21 PM
a reply to: the2ofusr1

I thought it was a town a link to it being called a city ?

Luke 1:26-27
26 And in the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent from God into a CITY of Galilee, called Nazareth,
27 To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary.

Luke 2:3-4
3 And all went to be enrolled, every one into his own CITY.
4 And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the CITY of Nazareth into Judea, to the CITY of David, which is called Bethlehem: because he was of the house and family of David,

Matthew 2.22,23
But when he heard that Archelaus did reign in Judaea in the room of his father Herod, he was afraid to go thither: notwithstanding, being warned of God in a dream, he turned aside into the parts of Galilee: And he came and dwelt in a CITY called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene.

(Luke 2.39,40
And when they had performed all things according to the law of the Lord, they returned into Galilee, to their own CITY Nazareth. And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him.

Luke 4:16
And he came to Nazareth, where he was brought up: and he went into the synagogue, according to his custom, on the sabbath day; and he rose up to read.

2 And all gave testimony to him: and they wondered at the words of grace that proceeded from his mouth, and they said: Is not this the son of Joseph?

28 And all they in the synagogue, hearing these things, were filled with anger.
29 And they rose up and thrust him out of the CITY; and they brought him to the brow of the hill, whereon their CITY was built, that they might cast him down headlong.

edit on 21-5-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:24 PM

originally posted by: ArtemisE
I guess then Jesus taught us that the god of the Old Testament was wrong.

I see it as Jesus teaching that the people of the Old Testament got God wrong.
Not that God Himself was in the Old Testament and wrong.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:25 PM

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
God never said "rape the virgins", He said keep them for yourselves.

Comeon ... he tells the soldiers to kill everyone except the tween/teen girls and 'keep them for yourselves'. OF COURSE the soldiers were taking sex slaves. There was nothing else that it possibly could have been.

So you're telling me that Moses executed 'x' number of Israelites for violating the Law given to them by God, then turns around and authorizes the the taking of teen sex slaves?

You are making too many assumptions contrary to the context of scripture. God said, "take the virgins", that doesnt mean they were all teens. Nor does it mean that they were raped. It is possible that these virgins were fully grown women that had not defiled themselves with pagan sex rituals. Have you ever considered that possibility? The Law explicitely prohibited rape, so where do you get this idea that God or Moses authorized the raping of children?

God specifically called Israel out to be different from the Pagan world. He would never ask them to adopt gentile practices let alone violate His own Law.

I would expect this garbage from an atheist or non-believer, but hearing it come from an alleged Christian is disgusting. If Moses is guilty of these war crimes, then so is the God who gave the orders...the same God you claim to follow.

Call me naive, but at least I dont choose to believe the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob (my God) is pro-pedophilia.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:32 PM

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
I dont need God to be anything more or less then what He is . You may need Him to be some man made invention in your own mind in order to feel significant but I will take the humble position because He did create the worm before He created man .. a reply to: AfterInfinity

I make myself feel significant through my actions. Every smile, every laugh, and every hug reminds me that I am significant in some way. And there's a difference between humility and self-degradation.
edit on 21-5-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:34 PM
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Zechariah 14
Behold, the day of the Lord cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.

2 For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city.

Its safe to assume anytime during war, when it says you can take the women for yourselves, they were raped...

the idea is covered numerous times in the bible... and in this verse explicitly...

You only choose not to see it because it makes your god seem like the vile and disgusting character he really is...

Nothing more then a false God... evil incarnate under the false guise of a good and just diety

edit on 21-5-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:41 PM
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

No way you just accused some one else of making assumptions... :p

That's hilarious in so many ways. It's an assumption the bible is true.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:45 PM
a reply to: FlyersFan

Wouldn't that mean the entire old testemate would be called into question? Atleast anything not specifically confirmed by Jesus?

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:46 PM

God said, "take the virgins", that doesnt mean they were all teens.

Read the scripture quote. It's very clear. Take the young girls who haven't had sex yet. That would be preteens and teens. Back then, they got married earlier too. Don't forget that.

Nor does it mean that they were raped.

Oh come on ... common sense. Telling soldiers to 'take the young virgins and keep them for yourselves'. OF COURSE that's exactly what it is.

Moses said 'do not kill' ... but then ordered mass murder more than once.
Moses said 'do not commit adultery ... but then told the soldiers to keep preteen/teen girls 'for themselves'.
That's all in scripture. I didn't make that up. Read it. Page one.

I would expect this garbage from an atheist or non-believer, but hearing it come from an alleged Christian is disgusting.

Oh brother .... the name calling ... knock it off. Dude .. read your bible. It's right there. Like I said .. it's an exact quote from scripture. Moses said to wipe everyone out except the young virgins that the soldiers could 'keep for themselves'. Thats mass murder and sex slavery. Don't like it? Take it up with whoever wrote the story of Exodus.

If Moses is guilty of these war crimes, then so is the God who gave the orders...the same God you claim to follow.

That's the point ... the orders didn't come from God. They came from MOSES. The alleged god of the Old Testament is a totally different God than Jesus in the New Testament.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:50 PM

originally posted by: ArtemisE
Wouldn't that mean the entire old testemate would be called into question? Atleast anything not specifically confirmed by Jesus?

Large chunks are easily peeled away.

Adam and Eve ... proven not to have happened.
Genesis ... proven not to have happened.
Noahs Ark .. proven not to have happened.
Abraham ... folklore and impossible to prove he existed.
Exodus ... proven not to have happened the way the bible claims.
Ten Commandments ... came from men, not God.

ATS Thread - 10 Commandments Doctrine Of Men
ATS Thread - Did Abraham Ever Really Exist?

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 05:09 PM

Nor does it mean that they were raped.

Numbers 31:7-18 Murder, rape and pillage of the Midianites
Judges 21:10-24 Murder, rape, and pillage at Jabesh-gilead

Deuteronomy 20:10-14 Murder Rape and Pillage
As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you.

Deuteronomy 21:10-14 Rape of Female Captives
"When you go out to war against your enemies and the LORD, your God, delivers them into your hand, so that you take captives, if you see a comely woman among the captives and become so enamored of her that you wish to have her as wife, you may take her home to your house. But before she may live there, she must shave her head and pare her nails and lay aside her captive's garb. After she has mourned her father and mother for a full month, you may have relations with her, and you shall be her husband and she shall be your wife. However, if later on you lose your liking for her, you shall give her her freedom, if she wishes it; but you shall not sell her or enslave her, since she was married to you under compulsion."

Judges 5:30 Rape and the Spoils of War
They must be dividing the spoils they took: there must be a damsel or two for each man, Spoils of dyed cloth as Sisera's spoil, an ornate shawl or two for me in the spoil.

Exodus 21:7-11 Sex Slaves
When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment.

edit on 5/21/2014 by FlyersFan because: underlined

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 05:23 PM
Well it's good to know when you can actually have a value based on your actions but we were talking about God and not you .But then you knew that . a reply to: AfterInfinity

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 05:31 PM
Yes it rendered city but it can also mean town .But if you look at what a synagogue means you might have to look hard to find a structure that could be deemed as such .What like 10 people studying the word of God could be a synagogue and 2 or more people coming together can be a church so finding archaeological evidence or lack there of proves nothing . a reply to: windword

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 05:40 PM
Anyone who believes the "bible" is the "word of God" is very mistaken.The scriptures are what was "written" as a testimony to testify that in no way implies what was "written" is what the creator God said.

The scriptures purpose is one thing only a testimony that testifies of Yahoshua..Yahweh(the creator God) IS salvation/deliverance ..that deliverance is from the realm of death and imperception(the meaning of hades).
The old testimony is mostly a"history"(not written like a history) about a nation of people called Israel.Israel was the "heir" of his father Isaac through his grandfather Abraham(which means father of many nations) which the creator God testified I will make a GREAT nation of your children that will be as numerous as the stars.

The genetic "nation" of Israel was the descendants of the 12 sons of Israel.THEY are not THE great nation of Abraham they were a genetic people descendant of Abraham.They ARE the "archetype" of ALL of mankind(the great nation).Israel means struggles with God which they did and so has ALL of mankind.They were a "stiff" necked cruel people that committed ever type of atrocity known to man and pinned the blame on the creator God just as all of mankind has in one form or another.The Israel of God is ALL of mankind.The chosen people…the children of the creator God.

The scriptures are a testimony of the need for mankind to be delivered from the ultimacy of death(the realm of death) and from their "Belief System" which is "their individual" religion that is the realm of imperception.EVERYONE without exception is religious(sinful) sin means missing the mark of perfection(maturity) everyone has done that "through" their nature which is the false "Belief System" of reality.That is the realm of imperception.The physical realm is the valley of the "shadow" of death(realm of death) which causes imperception( a false Belief System of reality).

The Israelites and latter the Judahites are the archetypes of the ALL of mankinds evil.They "believed" their religion and justified it by saying the creator God commanded them to do so.Nothing has changed.Billions do the same thing today just with different actions because it is ALL religion no matter what.The fact is NONE have escaped their "Belief System" even those that don't believe in the creator God or any variation it is ALL the same thing.It is the the same symptoms of a very serious fatal ailment.Part of the cure is physical death.

It is futile to try to justify or demonize the scriptures because it is the sordid history of ALL mankind in an allegory.The basic history of the Israelites and Judahites is true.None of mankinds history would fare well of mankind being "good" and "mature".The scriptures IS NOT a book of morals and ethics to be taught to "live a good life" it has been evidence to over and over through the ages that it it is the opposite … CAN'T be moral or ethical by "following" the teachings of a BOOK … any book.The bible is the prime example…..yet BILLIONS believe it is because it is so easily cherry picked and extrapolated into the doctrines of men to justify the "religion" of their Belief System.

The scriptures sole purpose has been accomplished.It has testified that Yahoshua WILL deliver EVERYONE from the realm of death and imperception.It doesn't matter if anyone believes it or not it is only testifying of the Truth.There are IMMENSE benefits when you "know" this is truth.It changes the whole perspective of "life" however it does not "cure" anything.It is not the "ticket to "heaven".There is no "place that is "heaven".That is religious fantasy.There is only the realm of the Kingdom of God(LIFE) that EVERYONE will enter in to.It's a process (salvation) and the physical realm is only the very,very very beginning stages of "life".NONE have even been born yet because the physical realm is a womb.

All the speculations of Belief Systems" are false.It is IMPOSSIBLE to "know" anything when you "just" believe. Belief is the antithesis of knowing…belief is NOT knowing.It is the realm of "imperception".

My suggestion for anyone is if you are trying to be "better" by following what is written in the scriptures PLEASE put the "book" down because you will positively fail and be deceived that you have succeeded. However the scriptures are not "evil" they are just not a "book" of morals and ethical teachings.It says some very truthful and profound things however to "follow" it like a manual for living is complete folly.That is not it's purpose.It is NOT "the word of God".The "living word of the creator God" is only "revealed" BY the creator God to you.It is being done ALL the time without your "awareness" through the mechanism of intuition(not instinct).To try to "methodize" that intuition in ANY way is futile because it will completely disappear and turn into your blind belief of your false "Belief System" when you do.

My suggestion is to just "live".Everyone can "ONLY do" what their nature and character are (name)…… it is IMPOSSIBLE to do anything different than that because it IS who and what you are.The creator God is 100% in control of everything and that is precisely what NONE can even believe.That is the cornerstone evidence of how belief CAN NOT know.Your physical realm life is all part of your salvation /deliverance it only seems like chaos because you "believe" it is.The big picture of truth can NOT be known in the physical realm where everything is a "Belief System".

The scriptures are a testimony that testifies of the Truth..all of mankind IS and WILL be delivered from the realm of death and imperception….end of story.If anyone foolishly tries to "follow" any of it and make it into a religion of any kind they will pay the cost of the ignorance of believing their religion..The same is true of anything.From atheism on is ALL false.There is no such thing as "spirituality" that is the foundation of all religion that there is a "method" to attain "heaven" or ascension or reincarnation etc, etc…'s all vanity of vanities.

The reasonable fact is everyone is being "grown" in the natural process called salvation and are in nothing more, at this stage, than inside the womb being conceived through conception.None have been born, none have "matured" and have grown in "LIFE"(the meaning of spirit) but the good news is ALL will, according to their nature and character.To point fingers at prophets for being "evil" is futile.They are human just like everyone else…immature.The bible is NOT the "living word of God" and following it as "religion" dictates you must follow ALL of it..with No cherry picking however the results are the same…..Imperception and death.

The Good news is the bible is NOT the living word of the creator God and the creator God is not a heinous monster that commands men to rape, pillage and murder then sentences them to the eternal punishment of hell for MUCH less…Thank GOD!!

edit on 21-5-2014 by Rex282 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 05:52 PM
a reply to: the2ofusr1

It proves that the Bible is wrong. Nazareth wasn't a city and couldn't financially support a synagogue, little alone the expensive scrolls that illiterate farm people couldn't even read.

The synagogue is a building that serves as a house of worship for members of a Jewish community. Though the appearance of every synagogue is unique, they usually have certain features in common. For instance, most synagogues have a bimah (raised platform at the front of the sanctuary), an Ark (which contains the congregation’s Torah scrolls) and memorial boards where the names of loved ones who have passed on can be honored and remembered.

Besides, Nazareth was huge funerary that was being used by the people of Judea. It was too an unclean place to build a synagogue.

Further, Josephus kept track of all the synagogues, villages, towns and cities that were pillaged by the Romans and Josephus never once, in any context whatsoever, mentions Nazareth which was just a few miles away from where he lived.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 06:06 PM
C'mon it's literature. The god of the old testament was way more interesting. Ecclesiastes was beautiful. Old Testament all the way.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 06:09 PM
a reply to: Rex282

If that's the way the bible should be viewed why believe any of it?

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 06:44 PM

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: schuyler

a few "atrocities" as viewed from a 21st century politically correct perspective

A 'few atrocities'? A 21st-century Politically correct perspective? They are atrocities PERIOD.
No matter when they occurred. Yesterday, tomorrow, last week, 5000 years difference. Atrocious.

You are simply parroting what we think today FROM today because you consider yourself an enlightened soul. Anthropologically speaking, you are being ethnocentric, using your own culture's mores to judge another. "God" is a mirror of the culture that created him (or her) and that's who God "is" in answer to your question. Look at the deities in any culture you happen to want to drag up, and that's what you will find. "God, Mary, & Jesus" represent a western-based nuclear family. Look at the Indian pantheon and you find families as defined by the Indian culture(s). It's always the same: Man creates God in his own image.

IN THOSE CULTURES the killing that was described was not considered "atrocious" at all, but the way things were done. It's the same exact issue when America the Great goes around the world insisting other cultures become "democracies" with voting rights for everyone, that no one is allowed the thousands-of-years-old practice of bribery because America says it is "corrupt," and where, incidentally, the missionaries push Christianity as the only true way to civilization.

Another example: Every time people become hot and bothered that a 13 year old girl is "forced to marry" an older man in some other culture. The hysteria is loud and long. But do you realize this is normal? It's the "teenage years" that are abnormal, once again the product of an industrialized society that has a vested interest to keep younger people out of the labor force as long as possible. But for hundreds of thousands of years people were considered "adults" if they were sexually mature, PERIOD! Indeed, Mary, mother of Jesus was likely only 14 or so when he was born. Why? because they couldn't afford to waste any time. Most people were dead by the time they were thirty. They didn't have the luxury of waiting.

But listen to the outrage! It's pathetic and it's ignorant. Would that you could condemn yourselves for your intolerant beliefs as well as you are capable of condemning others. You are as biased as any culture you condemn.

Lots of people here can see the latter and condemn America for its practices, yet become oblivious for any other issue. Do I, PERSONALLY, think these examples are true atrocities? Of course I do because I'm from the same culture as you. But for you to condemn biblical stories and use that to condemn Christianity as a whole is just about as simplistic as it gets. And I'm not even a Christian.
edit on 5/21/2014 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 06:59 PM
a reply to: schuyler

It's always the same: Man creates God in his own image.

IN THOSE CULTURES the killing that was described was not considered "atrocious" at all, but the way things were done.

That is correct.
It doesn't make it any less 'atrocious' by TODAY'S standards. "The way things were done" should cling and stick and forever be upheld? I say, NO.

We've come a long, long way since then. To state that an ancient 'life instruction manual' is atrocious and out-dated is not ignorant or simplistic. Yes, MAN creates GOD in his (man's) image.

NO ONE knows what "God" is.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 07:04 PM
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

NO ONE knows what "God" is

Perhaps there are some who do...

Though out history there have been individuals who dared to go against the grain... Who see the evils that have been done in the name of a god or gods, and say NO, this is not God

Interestingly enough, these people are almost always executed

I believe Jesus knew exactly what and who God is... and few understood what he meant... even to this day

new topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>