It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questionable Behavior of 'God's Prophets' from the Abrahamic Religions

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: AfterInfinity
I don't know. You're the one who believes in a god, you tell us.

I don't see God in any of that. I'd like to know how people who believe the Old Testament stories can see God in it and how they explain away the teen/tween girl sex slaves ....

Or the NT. Same thing, really. All the same stories, just a little cognitive dissonance thrown in to make people a little more comfortable with the moral implications of the darker stuff.

Dude, theism in those days was little more than free license to do whatever the hell you wanted or so help me my god will smite your crops faster than you can throw your little girl to my guards.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Well then ,tell me if Jesus bought into the old testament and the prophets ? You lay claim to be a Christian ,a follower of Christ .Who or what did he use to develop His doctrine ? a reply to: FlyersFan

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Who or what did he use to develop His doctrine ?

I know you're not addressing me, but I want to answer this. I believe he studied with Eastern mystics. Yes, he was reared as a "Jew" of the Essene sect (as far as can be determined by this independent researcher), but clearly introduced the different ways of thinking (which were not unknown at the time, his area being a major trade route, they had access to all sorts of faiths/beliefs).

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: r0xor
What we can do is try to put ourselves in the mindset of the people of that time period, what was considered normal behaviors of ritual, religion, and war.

You said 'normal behaviors' and 'mindsets of the people'. Then those are not GOD talking ... those calls for murder, rape, and razed villages are calls by HUMANS. Right? One step further ... if those are human made calls for those evils, then those people aren't prophets and they are speaking just for themselves.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I believe Jesus had his own doctrine, being God incarnate. Others believe He was influenced by both Judaism and Buddhism, which was also in that area in that time frame. Within Christianity a mishmash of Judaism and Buddhism can be seen. So those who believe that Jesus was influenced by Buddhism do have a point. We don't know if they are right .... but they do have a point.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: r0xor
What we can do is try to put ourselves in the mindset of the people of that time period, what was considered normal behaviors of ritual, religion, and war.

You said 'normal behaviors' and 'mindsets of the people'. Then those are not GOD talking ... those calls for murder, rape, and razed villages are calls by HUMANS. Right? One step further ... if those are human made calls for those evils, then those people aren't prophets and they are speaking just for themselves.

Why can't this argument be applied to all prophets and wisemen of the era?

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

What would Jesus have done? Does anyone think He would have called down the power of God and had God tear apart 42 small children because a couple of them taunted Him ??? I'm not seeing it happening ....

Starred!

Well there is an apocryphal story about Jesus as a young boy in The Infancy Gospel of Thomas Greek Text B scriptures ...

IV. 1: And after certain days, as Jesus passed through the midst of the city, a certain child cast a stone at him and smote his shoulder. And Jesus said unto him: Thou shalt not finish thy course. And straightway he also fell down and died. And they that were there were amazed, saying: From whence is this child, that every word which he speaketh becometh a perfect work?

2: But they also departed and accused Joseph, saying: Thou wilt not be able to dwell with us in this city: but if thou wilt, teach thy child to bless and not to curse: for verily he slayeth our children: and every thing that he saith becometh a perfect work.

So it is a possibility!

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Unless they performed great miracles to prove themselves ... I don't see why not. Bounce it off everyone. See how they measure up. And I wouldn't hold to just 'that era'. Go ahead and move it all through history.

edit on 5/21/2014 by FlyersFan because: spacing

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I saw a very informative documentary on the teachings of Muhammad as interpreted by western islamic scholars. They stated that the Quran is not in any form of chronological order and that Muhammad's earlier teachings were "cancelled out" by newer teachings on the same issues. The newer teachings occurred when he became a warlord. These newer teachings were basically calling followers to a mission to spread Islam throughout the world by the use of force with the murdering of infadels. It also stated that Muhammad beheaded 40 men one after another.

The documentary concluded that militant Islamic terrorists are actually following true Islam from the later teachings of Muhammad. If this is indeed true what are moderate and unorthodox muslims following? Are they doing the same as many Christians and sweeping it under the carpet?

One thing I have often pondered on is if there is an attempted Islamic takeover of another country through barbaric means in the future, would moderate muslims follow?

The documentary was on UK TV but I can hunt down a link if anyone wants it.
edit on 21/5/2014 by earthblaze because: spelling

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: petrockopera
So it is a possibility!

IF the Gnostic Gospels are accurate and not just historical fiction.
And I'm thinking we won't know the answer to that in our lifetimes here on Earth.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Unless they performed great miracles to prove themselves ... I don't see why not. Bounce it off everyone. See how they measure up. And I wouldn't hold to just 'that era'. Go ahead and move it all through history.

Dunno. Sometimes, miracles are used for that express purpose - to make people believe. At that point, it's simply a matter of faking a miracle and you've got an entire nation in your pocket. And that's exactly why "miracles" become so important. That's the test you have to pass to capture the minds and hearts of the people. Even if you have to fake it.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
If you pick up the story at the tower of Babel you will see that God guided the different peoples to where they were to go and blessed them .Left to mans own demise they would have remained in the city that was being built and never did what God told Adam and Eve to do , which was to fill the earth . a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Jesus also quoted directly out of the old testament .He was a fulfillment of the old testament and the promises . a reply to: FlyersFan

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I guess the idea is that God has this "plan", and at the time of the Hebrews Exodus, warfare and bloodshed on God's enemies was required to fulfill the next steps of God's plan. As time went forward, the idea is that God knew that people would culturally and scientifically advance, no longer requiring the same amounts or more importantly methods of bloodshed. At the time it may have been the only way to advance to the next step or stage, while maintaining the veil of realism of the world at that time.

But if we look at modern times, and medieval times, there's been hellacious warfare and bloodshed, and there still is. Who is truly enacting God's will on Earth by killing other men? No one knows the true answer to that question.

However, Jesus Christ would be an aspect of God, with God being the trinity.

This means there are essentially 3 personalities to God;

The Father, who is the personality of the vengeful God in the Old Testament (Destroyer)

The Son, who is the personality of Jesus Christ in the New Testament (Redeemer)

and The Holy Spirit, which is the personality that is present within the Father, the Son, and the followers or disciples of God; one of Sharing, Love, and Goodness. It's also Intuitiveness with God's desires, and to enact them on Earth. (Helping people, teaching people, changing all things for Good.)

Likewise, in the sense of the Spirit, this is why it is said that men who think and do evil continually, which could be defined as doing harm, damage, or even inconvenience to their fellow man (whether or not they're motivated by self-gain or greed), are under the influence of Evil, or evil spirits (demonic forces).

I don't know about everyone else, but I've read that men are created in the Likeness of God. I don't know if that is true, however, I do know that within myself, I have the ability to be a vengeful destroyer when necessary, a redeemer when it's needed, and a sharing, loving, good person.
edit on 5/21/2014 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Sure. And yet he was the exact opposite of the 'god' of the Old Testament that the 'prophets' claimed to be in contact with. Jesus was Mercy incarnate telling people not to stone each other and to forgive. Moses said go kill your family and take teen girls as sex slaves. That's a huge difference.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan
You will not get far in trying to understand the mind or actions of GOD using your earthly intellect. You post these verses to question GOD but claim no responsibility in questioning him. Perhaps the answer may be found in the thought that their is more than just what we see around us and to try and understand what you have not seen only serves to fuel unbelief and help to lose many souls in the process.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick
So just blindly accept and give a free pass to everyone who claims to be a prophet, even when they mass murder and rape and destroy? Well .. you are welcome to that. But I'm going to ask and be sure that I'm doing the right thing. And if faith is lost ... then it was faith misplaced to begin with.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Jesus only referred to the OT because that was the "holy" book of the time and area he was born in. Want to know what jesus thought of the religious teachings of his time? Read his Sermon on the Mount, he defies OT teachings numerous times within that chapter.

He called the Pharisees and Sudacees vipers and called their father the devil. Their father was Yahweh, if Jesus is Yahweh then why would he call himself the devil?

John 8
54 Jesus replied, “If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me. 55 Though you do not know him, I know him. If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and obey his word. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad.”

He says that the Pharisees "claim" that Jesus' Father is their god, that implies that they are lying, which he goes on to confirm by calling them liars. The OT god is not the God or Father of Jesus.

Jesus calls Abraham their father, if Abraham is their father and Jesus calls their father the devil, what does that mean about the Abrahamic god of the OT?
edit on 5/21/2014 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
And that is a aspect of repentance .Why do we do some of the things we don't want to do ? If we lie that makes us a lier. We recognize the evil that is within us and cry out for mercy and forgiveness .We are made perfect in Gods eyes only because we are in Christ .It's what He did and provided to fulfill the perfect righteousness of God that we do not have within ourselves to do so . a reply to: FlyersFan

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Jesus Begins His Ministry

14 And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit to Galilee, and a report about him went out through all the surrounding country. 15 And he taught in their synagogues, being glorified by all.

Jesus Rejected at Nazareth

16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up. And as was his custom, he went to the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and he stood up to read. 17 And the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was given to him. He unrolled the scroll and found the place where it was written,

18 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
because he has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives
and recovering of sight to the blind,
to set at liberty those who are oppressed,
19 to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.”
20 And he rolled up the scroll and gave it back to the attendant and sat down.
a reply to: FlyersFan Now go into the book of Isaiah and read the rest of the piece of scripture Jesus was reading from ...Now tell me if Jesus would have finished that quote ,would He not be the vengeful same god of the OT ? He is the suffering servant but will return to as the conquering one .

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join