It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Waiting out a wildfire

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Thanks guys!

It's all appreciated! The fire has jumped the river now north of us. We have sent photos and a vehicle to a safer location, and we are packing up more stuff and getting ready for evacuation. There have been evacuations called for two areas, and more areas have been put on notice to be ready to go. We don't fall under either category yet, but we are ready to head out at a moments notice.

If anyone has any spare rain, we would welcome it.
I appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers. We have a lot of firefighters hi could use it at the moment! I will be around, busy but around. Regardless of what happens, we will be safe. The community has rallied and everyone has come together to feed and house evacuees and people are helping out readily with evacuation efforts.

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: woodsmom

Continue to be safe and you're still in. My thoughts my friend.
Peace and Love to you and your family!!!!

I'll do a rain dance for ya today!!!

edit on 26-5-2014 by natalia because: Added rain dance

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: natalia

Thanks Nat!
You all have no idea how much your kind words help!
Thanks for the rain dance too! We could use it!

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I'll be keeping an eye on your thread.
I hope it all blows out soon for you and others affected.
You know my thoughts are with you.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
First thoughts and prayers for sure! What a tough situation!
I would water down my entire property and house. Hell I might even make a moat around the property. At least you have a bit of time but watch for the roads that may get blocked too, yikes! Get a battery radio ready just in case you lose power too. Best wishes!

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Here is a link to the actual fire info with pics and maps.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

We are luckily okay as far as getting in and out of the neighborhood. It's still about three miles away, but they are fighting it hard there now. They are doing everything they can to keep it away from people. Eventually ere will be nothing left to burn on those fronts.

As far as the rest of the peninsula goes though, who knows now. There was the normal noon update. The evacuations have been called off, but areas are still under advisory (read, keep your belongings packed and ready to leave). They also announced that though they will keep it from people it may just have to burn itself out elsewhere and that could take all season. The resources needed to completely extinguish a fire like this are astronomical. There aren't even roads to 95% or so of the burn areas. We just need a real rain that lasts for a week or more. We haven't had any precipitation to speak of the entire month of May.

The smoke is the worst at this point. And now with the much needed clouds rolling in, the smoke has been pressed back to the ground. I just about passed out turning the table in the camper into a bed to stack stuff on. I also got chewed out by my Honey, who demanded I go back in the house.

I truly thank all of you for everything, but most of all the distraction. We spent a few days at a nearby lake to get out of the smoke for the weekend, and it was sooooooo blissfully peaceful. It's not as easy at the house when I should be outside working on stuff, and I can't.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

Thank you!!
After that last update I'm hoping that it is taken down. I think at this point we are relying on Mother Nature to helps us out and soak it down. We have some serious angels here now. The firefighters are awesome, and there hasn't been a single injury. The fire has also been stopped just short of people's home, not a single one has been lost. The community has been incredible as well, overloading the firefighters as well as the evacuees with so many donations of food and necessities that they have actually asked people to stop because they have way too much. I guess it's true that every cloud has a silver lining, as this smoky cloud has brought out the best that humanity has to offer.
edit on 27-5-2014 by woodsmom because: Typo

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Never tried 'it' in these circumstances before, but I'll give it my very best shot tonight....the map was very useful, thank you. ((( )))
Rainbows
Jane

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
woodsmom! *hugs*
I'm SO sorry that you are having to go through this! I will be thinking about you hun.

The pictures are disturbing...it looks to close. You really seem to be quite calm and prepared. I hope you don't have to evacuate, and that you get some much needed rain.
I'm glad to hear that none of the firefighters have been injured. Living down here in SW Ontario (surrounded by the Great Lakes), things like that don't happen. (we get a lot of tornado warnings though, and that always scares the crap outta me).

Take care sweetie, and please stay in touch with us here as much as you can!
jacygirl

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: jacygirl

Thank you Jacy!
We have had a bunch of folks from Alberta show up to help us out as well as three or maybe even four now of the belly dump planes, C-30s I think. Seeing the pictures of them skimming across the lake surface to pick up water is incredible.

I grew up in Nebraska, I understand the tornadoes. They are freaky. At least we can follow the fire and fight it. There is no fighting a tornado to keep life and property safe. I gladly traded them for fires, earthquakes and blizzards.

Jane, you are awesome!
please don't stretch yourself too thin!
edit on 27-5-2014 by woodsmom because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Great news!!
We got more rain, and I believe it is expected to continue.
They have got a handle on things at this point. At the town meeting last night a lot of the updates were all about mopping up. Today is the first day that they are telling people that they can unpack their stuff. They did say it will be burning all summer but they have secured our populated areas.

Today is also the first day in more than a week that we aren't covered in a cloud of smoke.
I thank you all for the kind words and the distraction! You gals and guys are great here!

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Woohoo!
RAIN.....and may it continue for a wee while longer!

And that's all I have to say about that

Hope you have lots of these.....
Rainbows......too!
Jane

edit on 28-5-2014 by angelchemuel because: keyboards fault!

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=17971495]angelchemuel[/]

This is great! A good hard rain for a few days is exactly what we need.
I am amazed at how much brighter the sky is today, and I can breathe!
This is the first day in a week that we didn't wake up buried in that smoke cloud.

There are a lot of people breathing a massive collective sigh of relief today. This event has reminded a community of who they are and that we are in this together. It's refreshing to see people come together through a situation like this and prove to each other that we can take care of our own. The final business sheltering evacuees even had donations left that were to be sent to the firefighters who said they had enough a few days ago.

Thank you to everyone here and their kind thoughts, words and prayers!!!

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

So happy to hear that things are improving!!!!! That is soooo scarey!!!!!!!! Stay safe and enjoy the rain!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join