It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FL lawmaker’s ‘radical’ cure for uninformed voting: You ‘have to be a property owner’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad

Yes because those millions of old retired people and veterans living in retirement rental properties in Florida are free loading and vote for the DNC. The fact is he is pretty much daming his own politcal base.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Just because people don't own property does not mean they don't pay taxes. Hell. A guy making 500k a year who decides to rent a posh apartment instead of buying a house still pays more in taxes than a guy who makes 50k a year and owns a modest home. Not to mention.....most revenue at the federal level is garnered through income taxes and other taxes not related to owning anything. A homeless guy in a car pays taxes when he buys gas. Or buys some taxable item via sales tax.

It's yahoos like Yoho which are the reason I am becoming more and more anti-conservative. And it's also the reason that my normally Republican friends are not even voting for their own party anymore.

So long as the right keeps pushing ignorant elitist morons like this for office, the left will continue to draw more and more voters away from the GOP.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oouthere
I happen to agree with him 100%. I drive past numerous people in their mid 20's sitting around and basically doing nothing while I'm working 45 to 60 hours in a average week. You can smell pot, see the beer cans laying on the ground, etc from these people. That's my tax dollars supporting these POS's.

Yah...I think the same thing everytime I drive by a nursing home! Those elderly people, sitting on their asses, not contributing to the tax base! taking their Social Security and crap! Not working! Hell they don't even own property! Why the hell should they be able to vote!

You guys crack me up...

YOU DONT GET TO CHOOSE ...THIS IS A DEMOCRACY...For effs sake, go move to some third world dictatorship where your cash buys you more government if the USA's current state of corruption is insufficient for you.

There is a very ill ideology brewing amongst the right wing...from thinly veiled voter suppression to now outright demanding only the wealthy get to elect leaders.

Plenty of countries left on the planet where folks can live out that dream...at least until the riots and revolts take root.
edit on 23-5-2014 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oouthere
a reply to: Indigo5

Indigo5, I believe he was refering to the welfare fraud types, not the honest and hard working types.

I happen to agree with him 100%. I drive past numerous people in their mid 20's sitting around and basically doing nothing while I'm working 45 to 60 hours in a average week. You can smell pot, see the beer cans laying on the ground, etc from these people. That's my tax dollars supporting these POS's.

Only took less than four pages until the standard "I saw people sitting in poor neighborhoods - therefore all poor are POS". It's in some form on almost all threads regarding the rich/poor. No dear, seeing people sitting in poor neighborhoods is not proof of anything. Many poor areas don't have air conditioning and people don't have money for activities so sometimes they sit outside their house.

The truth, if you are even interested, is that most people are poor because they are children, elderly or disabled. Very few are working adults. And lucky you that you can work 60 hours a week many people can't find jobs because of discrimination.

Shame on all the posters who even remotely supported this concept and I seriously think you should be ashamed of yourself.

Money doesn't equal contribution to society.

What about the poor soldier who rents a house because the military moves them around? They don't get a vote because they don't contribute?

The rich have done more to destroy the society than the poor ever have.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob
- the right to vote was restricted to property owners or tax payers, a situation which persisted long into the mid 1800's.

Not by the constitution and not by the founders intent, but by various state-level laws on voting in the absence of the constitution articulating those voting rights. State voting laws evolved and constitutional amendments and a civil war rectified most of that oversight within a 100 years.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: EvillerBob
- the right to vote was restricted to property owners or tax payers, a situation which persisted long into the mid 1800's.

Not by the constitution and not by the founders intent, but by various state-level laws on voting in the absence of the constitution articulating those voting rights. State voting laws evolved and constitutional amendments and a civil war rectified most of that oversight within a 100 years.

Thomas Jefferson would disagree.

edited - not actually the quote I was thinking about. Will repost it when I dig the right one up.
edit on 23-5-2014 by EvillerBob because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

I suspect you are confusing Jefferson and Adams, who often debated whether the general population was capable of ruling itself. Jefferson was a strong advocate of the people, whilst Adams retained a bit of Monarchial ideology.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

And perhaps you meant this?

Letter to William Pendleton on requirements for voting

Thomas Jefferson
August 26, 1776

Voting for the Virginia house of representatives should be open to rich and poor alike.

Now as to the representative house, which ought to be so constructed as to answer that character truly: I was for extending the rights of suffrage (or in other words the rights of a citizen) to all who had a permanent intention of living in the country. Take what circumstances you please as evidence for this, either the having resided a certain time, or having a family, or having property, any or all of them. Whoever intends to live in a country must wish the country well, and has a natural right of assisting in the preservation of it.

[From Papers of Thomas Jefferson, ed. Julian P. Boyd (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1950), 1:504.]

www.vindicatingthefounders.com...

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join