It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: U.S. Death Toll in Iraq Nears Record

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 04:50 AM
link   
The current death total since the war began averages about 2 soldiers killed per day.....

Far more Americans will MURDER other Americans than 2 per night.
The top 5 most violent cities in the USA will have more than the total of deaths than soldiers killed in the same time period...and this is just for the top 5 MOST violent cities here, not the total for the nation.

Heck here in the philly area, if i had the news staff, i could cover AT LEAST 2 murders a day in my viewing area (including 3 counties in pa and 3 in nj...with the most violent city in USA CAMDEN) We dont even bother to try to cover them all as it wouldnt be possible from a staffing/time standpoint.

As far as the "face" of those honorable soldiers that sacrificed everything, you might not see them on a NATIONAL basis, but i assure you...EVERY fallen soldier from THIS viewing area IS covered...we (try to) go interview the family/friends, and we show a picture of them WHEN the family WISHES to allow it.
All of these people are going to be covered in the media in a similar fashion...BY THEIR LOCAL MEDIA....this happens everywhere as it becomes a "local" story....the soidiers are being seen by the communities they lived in...they are NOT being hidden from anyone unless the family requests privacy. The government isnt in this newsroom telling us what to cover or not. Nor is the gov in any newsroom.

NEVER in history has a conflict of this magnitude had so FEW casualties.
More murders will occur here than soldiers killed this year...
Where is the moral outcry for those innocent victims?

When our foriegn policy costs us more than we kill of each other, then MABEY ill think the war would be more an issue from a taking of life standpoint.

[edit on 2-12-2004 by CazMedia]

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 07:52 AM
link   
You are right we are getting more people kill everyday in our streets but they are here in our country and they die here not on a sandy desert away from home.

Still I agree with you.

Before my husband retired he did burial detail for our local military service mans, but it was difference they were mostly war vets and retired.

He said that he is glad that he is never had to do a detail for a young man, he said it would have been very hard not to feel for the family, wife or young children.

We have another friend that has been call to leave on March 14, he is also been re- assign to Jacksonvill NC, for a brush up on combat training and then it will go to Iraq, he also has been in the services for 23 years.

They bought a home close by because the though that he was going to re-tired here, he's wife is so upset, she said that her husband welcomes the tour in Iraq, because he has never been in a war.

Well I have to give it to this Marines they are trained to fight and that is what they want.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by CazMedia

NEVER in history has a conflict of this magnitude had so FEW casualties.
More murders will occur here than soldiers killed this year...
Where is the moral outcry for those innocent victims?

[edit on 2-12-2004 by CazMedia]

Where isn't the moral outcry over murder in the USA? You don't see people saying, "Well, these people need to be murdered in the USA because of WMDs" I think there is more of an outcry for innocent victims of murder in the USA, than soldiers in Iraq. The news would rather cover the former, not the latter.

How can you compare casualty numbers with past conflicts? Did we have tanks in the Civil War? Smart bombs in WWII? Was our medicine as advanced as it was in Korea or Vietnam? If anything, with all of the improvements our military has made over the past 200 years, in weapons and battlefield medicine, these causality numbers show a gross incompetence by our leaders.

Also, we really don't know how many ware being killed in Iraq. If a soldier gets shot in Iraq, but dies at a hospital somewhere else, he's not considered a combat death. I wonder if they consider that, say, a German death if he died in Germany? Wow, I bet the mortality rates of our soldiers in Germany or Kuwait have shot up, and probably makes those countries at least as deadly as Iraq.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join