It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 Iranians Arrested for being 'Happy' to Pharrell Williams Song

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

So .. NO HOAX. And it's not the Western Media making something up.
Just wanted to make note of that to those who thought it was.
I see the story "Iranian 'Happy' Dancers Released from Jail" in The Voice of America, which is state propaganda.
So . . HOAX, it seems, YES.

They are running it through controlled channels knowing it will go viral and people will go on believing it for years even after it is debunked.
edit on 21-5-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
beautiful. i understand the situation there, but it's still beautiful to see happy people.

like, hold on, this guy should sing more often

edit on 21-5-2014 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: WCmutant

Hmm. people legally walk around on the beaches here in what amounts to their underwear. hehe
i don't think it means what you think it means. in other words, thou doth protest too much.
at one time, lucy and ricky couldn't be filmed in the same bed together.
victorian england? mmmmm, nah.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Ah...now I see what you're saying. I thought you were picking nits for a bit, but now I get it, and I agree with you. The actual reason they were arrested is being whitewashed with the "arrested for being happy" meme...

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Iranian women not covered up and dancing in public is obscene, apparently. Culture is culture but I only hope the youth of Iran are able to change these oppressive ways because it's no way to live.

Free the happy Iranians, you bastards!
edit on 21-5-2014 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I think this is a prime example of trying to stop western/foreign culture influencing youth. It's not uncommon in the Muslim world for western media or products to be shunned or worse in one form or another.

Muslims boycot McDonalds for their reasons, strangely as American that franchise is, it's allowed in Muslim countries. I disagree with the jackboot methods these countries employ to stop influence and the incongruous double standards if it's a company that employs ppl and brings revenue.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Some argue that laws are meant to be followed, which is a valid point. If nobody followed laws it would be chaos; However, laws are typically made to protect people from harm to others, and quite frankly I'm not seeing the harm in what these young adults are doing. Perhaps someone can explain what's so bad about this.
edit on 21-5-2014 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   

1. Islamic law requires females cover their heads and wear loose fitted clothing

You are correct, however Iran is a rather liberal and tolerant country given that it's in the Middle East. Yes, the government and many of the laws are ass backwards, but they are rather lenient and accepting when compared to countries like Saudi Arabia and Pakistan. The way the women are dressed in this video is common in Iran. The older and more religious women will almost always cover up, but the young adults are very westernized in regard to their fashion choices.

I'm not really seeing the MSM twist this as Iranians not being allowed to be "happy;" the article in the OP bluntly states that the most likely cause for their arrest was their promotion of Western culture. The way they are dressed also ties into said promotion of Western Culture, but I don't think it's nearly as crucial a factor as you are making it out to be.

That song is so awful, though; anyone who enjoys it should be arrested. Ughhhh.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   

I have met some Iranians. Great people. I really admire them. Their government is crap though.

I think to the proponents of the end of the western century in favor of Russia, China or any of them as being blind to who they would rather have in supremacy calling the shots. The government of Iran is their ally. This is the level of control and paranoia they desire.

I hope these people and the film crew aren't hurt. Its a freaking song! What do you gain from reducing a positive message of happiness to an assault on your values? Why strip your people of any dignity and pride?

How terrible you are. I hope the Iranian government falls tomorrow so the Iranian people can be happy.

I hope Russia, China and all their allies fall. I don't care. This is not going to be the future of the world while we live. Over our dead bodies...

Long live the west! I said it.

edit on 5 22 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I just taught a class, and I have 3 male Persian students in it. One of them told me he received 80 lashes (I thought he said 8, and he corrected me), for wearing cut-off jeans on a beach in Iran. The government has a major authoritarian chip on its shoulder and cracks down in ridiculous ways on what they consider dissent. He told me that there are other far more 'risqué' videos posted all over the internet, but for some reason the government chose to make an example of this group of young people.

I think their days are limited (the cleric run government). One can only hope so.
edit on 22-5-2014 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   

I work with an Iranian man, he says this article is complete bull#. He left Iran because he wanted a better life, but he doesn't believe this article and actually made fun of me for showing it to him in the lunch room.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: jmdewey60

So .. NO HOAX. And it's not the Western Media making something up.
Just wanted to make note of that to those who thought it was.
I see the story "Iranian 'Happy' Dancers Released from Jail" in The Voice of America, which is state propaganda.

They are running it through controlled channels knowing it will go viral and people will go on believing it for years even after it is debunked.

Yeah, TOTAL "western propaganda..."

www.aljazeera.com...

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Hijinx

. . . he doesn't believe this article and actually made fun of me for showing it to him in the lunch room.
It's the video equivalent of the 'throwing babies out of incubators' story from the Kuwait war.

edit on 22-5-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: jmdewey60

No. It really happened. It's very clear.

WHY can't some people just accept that there are some nutty extremists in Iran who do these things? Comeon ... it DOES happen. And this is a case of it actually happening.

Thankfully the 'Happy' dancers have been released. I don't know what would have happened to them if the world press hadn't shown how ridiculous the arrests were.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: jheated5
Even if this is some propaganda piece to demonize Iran in any way shape or form, most people on ATS know enough not to hate Iranians themselves

- It's not a hoax. Some are desperate for it to be ... for some strange reason. But it's not a hoax.

- The people here aren't hating on Iranians .. if anything, we feel bad that the Iranians have to put up with such idiots in their own government.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
They were released... but the directer has been taking instead... hes not so happy now..

its a shame but i can seriously see where their govt is coming from. why should their people behave in such a manner kind of deal, if America wants its people acting stupid dancing like drowning hippos that's their business but they should keep their nose out of other countries business...

Its a messed up situation but its not our country and its not our laws.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
This Algerian singer had to move to France.

And I really like the spirit of equality and freedom in these two songs.

Khaled - C'est la vie (Clip officiel)

Cheb Khaled - Aicha [OFFICIAL VIDEO CLIP] + Paroles/ Lyrics

Its a real shock the entire forced regime the cia/brotherhood imposed upon Iran, and the hangings, the repression, the women in judicial positions who lost their jobs. They're free, and every single expression of force and enslavement over their spirit is a huge IOU waiting for the oppressors.

Cia/Banna/Brotherhood/Saudi primitive regimes overtaking regions that are free. They are free.

edit on 22-5-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
NOT A HOAX .... CNN, International Campaign for Human Rights; the official twitter account of Iranian President Hassan Rouhani; BBC; the dancers themselves; Irans own State Run TV (which I showed a clip from in the opening post); Al Jazeeera;

CNN - 'Happy Dancers' released but the director is still in jail

Six people who were arrested in Iran for dancing in a YouTube video to Pharrell Williams' song "Happy" have been freed, the International Campaign for Human Rights in Iran said Wednesday, citing a source close to the families.

The director of the video was not released, the group said.

One of the six announced that she was freed. "Hi I'm back," Reihane Taravati wrote on her Instagram account, thanking Williams and "everyone who cared about us."

BBC News .. Happy Dancers Freed

According to some reports, a total of 13 people were arrested in connection with the video, but official sources have not confirmed the exact number of detainees.

Iran's state-run TV broadcast a programme on Tuesday, which apparently showed the men and women confessing on camera.

AL JAZEERA - Al Jazeera - Iran Frees Happy Dancers From Custody

Media reports from Tehran on Wednesday suggested that authorities had released the group who filmed the short video of them dancing on a rooftop, a stairwell, a walled-off driveway and in an apartment, while laughing and smiling, with the audio set to the popular song.

State media showed an interview with Tehran's police chief, calling the video a vulgar clip which hurt public chastity.

But Iranian President Hassan Rouhani's official Twitter account posted a message in support of the group on Wednesday: "Happiness is our people's right. We shouldn't be too hard on behaviours caused by joy."

CLIPS FROM IRANIAN STATE TV

HERE

NO HOAX

edit on 5/22/2014 by FlyersFan because: fixed link

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
In 2011 Americans were beaten and arrested for dancing at the Jefferson Memorial site.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aarcadius
They were released... but the directer has been taking instead... hes not so happy now..

its a shame but i can seriously see where their govt is coming from. why should their people behave in such a manner kind of deal, if America wants its people acting stupid dancing like drowning hippos that's their business but they should keep their nose out of other countries business...

Its a messed up situation but its not our country and its not our laws.

Its the western bildenburg elite and their tools, the cia brotherhood that are doing this and have been for decades. You need to do some research. I'd start with a google of Nazi and Banna.

Iran was free. Iran IS FREE.
edit on 22-5-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join