It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama Would Like Students to Monitor Family Members for Racial Insensitivity

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

First of all, there are others in our country besides blacks & whites....[sorry Michelle]
It's to diverse to wrap it all up in a neat little package and say, 'Okay kiddies, you be sure and tell your friends/families not to feel/think a certain way'
That would be the most utopia world if we were all a like.....but it's not, we're not

Second--Are you all for our freedom of thoughts/feelings to be controlled by kids?

I sure as hell hope not
But that sure seems to be the way our country is headed

You need to wake up and stop drinking the koolaid

So you're saying because she only mentioned whites, blacks and latinos that SHE wasn't being inclusive enough? Interesting. Do children control your thoughts and feelings? That must be awful.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

They should be asking why there is MORE racial divide in this country since her and her husband have been on their crusade.......

You did want the hard questions right?

I think the problem isn't that I don't want the hard questions, it's more likely that you won't accept the honest answers.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
It is all about thought control.

Sensitivity training to the extreme. The common core standards tells me they are trying to make those in public schools slaves to the system. As someone who most would consider a math wiz, the way the common core goes about mathematics is disgusting.

Our so called intelligence is now judged by our ability to sing and dance to someone else's tunes. Those who dare to sing and dance to their own tune are outcasts.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
I'm watching this insanity just bubbling up more and more every day.

Regular people, good people, just like many of you here ... are being played like harps from hell.

It's insane.

Yes, if you feel like the words of the First Lady of the United States at a commencement address encouraging high-school age kids to confront racism bravely wherever they see it is fascist, leftist, communist or any other -ist you want to tack on, you're insane.

There's no other word for your behavior. The time for niceties has passed. It's not just a "difference of opinion."

You're like a pack of rabid dogs being whipped into a frenzy for something, I'm not sure quite what yet.

Yeats comes to mind though ... "whirling whirling in the widening gyre ... things fall apart, the center cannot hold."

More that its the pure Irony that this woman along with her husband would even TRY to tell the youth of this country how to combat bigotry and racism when they are complicit , and indeed active in some of the worst displays of favoritism and racial divisiveness this country has ever seen out of any administration since the civil rights movement.....

Perhaps she should keep her speech confined to encouraging these kids in their quest for knowledge and furthering their educations......

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

They should be asking why there is MORE racial divide in this country since her and her husband have been on their crusade.......

You did want the hard questions right?

I think the problem isn't that I don't want the hard questions, it's more likely that you won't accept the honest answers.

considering the lack of response to my questions,and the fact that they are pushing horrible initiatives like Common core, I think I have some valid concerns.......

Those are honest questions.......

But just like this administration, I see the honest concerns I , and the American people have, with these issues is not only falling on def ears, but is being unashamedly ignored........

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000
I would add, at least in the area I live? It's a very basic concept kids are being encouraged to think nothing of and flout. Respect for their elders.

That's probably downright funny to some these days and for many, I'd bet, age would follow the degree they find it that way in a predictable pattern. However, mouths are still known to be washed out with unscented bars of soap in this part of America and corporal punishment is a way of life. More so, the more rural one gets..and I've seen that hold pretty true without regard to race.

It's a base level of disrespect and air of authority over the home and family. I don't know which is worse though...That we have a First Lady encouraging it or that we have a population largely missing the problem with it.

SO much has changed.

Please read the actual speech, rather than the 'paraphrased' remarks in that TheBlaze article. It's linked in the second post. Take the time to read it.

Please also note that this was a high school graduation - these kids are probably mostly actually adults now. I mean, that's what people frequently say about teenagers who aren't even 18 yet... that they ought to be considered adults.
edit on 0Wed, 21 May 2014 00:30:23 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago5 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: phinubian

Thats exactly it.........

its not about real racism with these people........

its about dividing the family unit, and eroding that connection so that youth are dependent on the government and its cronies to know HOW to think.......

its not about thinking for yourself, thats why Common Core is being pushed so hard......

they WANT our children to turn to them, instead of the family unit.......

They want them DEPENDENT

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Greven

If you believe my attitude toward the First Lady is the result of one ignorant stab at what we have left of family in this nation, that would be an error.

My dislike for the Nanny-State she's been key in helping to build over the past years makes me rather touchy to something like this, before it ever comes along.

So, it doesn't take much from her, to then extend the line of logic she suggests. It actually seems to carry more often than not, and this is well in line to other things from the Administration. Kids are still trashing her meal decrees in lunchrooms as others are looking for ways out of the silliness that brought.

Also, A President OR First Lady hasn't given a speech at an event like this, TO the people AT the event in a few administrations worth of time, at least. They speak to the cameras and world press corps, with a theme that fits for the occasion and location.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Thats exactly right Wrabbit....

And what gets me is that they are CONSISTENT with saying things like this, and then it becomes public that they had ulterior motives for what they were saying.......

And people STILL buy into it hook line and sinker every time.....

How some people can be so blind to whats so blatantly obvious now after 6 years of the constant lies and deception just blows my mind.....

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   

If you believe my attitude toward the First Lady is the result of one ignorant stab at what we have left of family in this nation, that would be an error.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Just at least make it an informed one.

Read the speech and see if you come to the same conclusions as the article.
edit on 0Wed, 21 May 2014 00:40:19 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago5 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

What i read from what she said not your opinion or the newspaper blogs opininon. She said if you guys hear racist and bigot comment you should stand up and say its wrong.

Thats what i got, no nazy crime, or race card, or leftish propaganda.

How do we see it so differently, and no i wouldent have voted for barack, i dont drink the kool aid, you guys would call me a commie im even more evil than the obamas lol.
edit on 21-5-2014 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   

So grandpa is a racist, well then its his own ignorance.......

Freedom is TOLERANCE of those who dont agree with you.......

Freedom means that sometimes we DONT agree.......

Freedom is being able to have a view that whether its ignorant or not, you can still have it.......

Would it be fair to sum up your position as freedom means accepting bigotry as a valid way of thinking and avoid disagreement by not expressing your opinions to even your closest friends and relatives?

Yet here you are, giving all this free advice.

Let's take this a step further. If calling out bigotry is infringement on another's freedom, what can we talk about? What should we talk about? If your uncle is a misogynist who likes to say demeaning things that offend your aunt, is it okay to speak up then? If a friend is espousing the virtues of eugenics, is it permissible to disagree? I always thought free expression was a two way street and that was part of it's appeal.

Seems to me that you're upset because the First Lady was telling a couple hundred 18 year-olds to question ignorance?

Yet here we are, on a forum that promotes denying ignorance.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

people CAN think and say what they want. End of story.

If your argument is based on truth and you are able to articulate it effectively people will decide for themselves to support you by the grace and virtue of your reasoning.

If they do not agree you must leave them to their own devices IF you are a true proponent of the democratic model our republic is based on.

Anything after that is taking a direction in deciding FOR THEM... for their own good. KIngs and dictators do that because they think they are more special than average people. They think they see the light while others are too confused to see just how right they are.

Let them learn, teach them, or leave them alone. Never decide for others or let others decide for you.

That too is denying ignorance.

edit on 5 21 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

but thats just it..........

Thats not the objective of this woman and this administration........

It never has been........they make it clear with every step they take, with every agenda they push......

They feel no shame in standing up and commenting on the fact that a basketball owner is a racist and condemning it......

But they didnt come out and say anything at all about the famous black people coming out and saying racist things about whites......

This isnt about freedom with them or true racism.......

Sure theres nothing wrong with standing up for whats right.........and indeed we have the freedom to do so.....

The problem is this is an agenda driven under the guise of upholding a moral standard.....

They are using , and have since day one, used racism as a system of control with them American people

They have used the term and every racially charged news piece on racism , as a hot button issue to further push an agenda.......

this isnt about right and wrong..........its about control.......

Why some people cant see this I have no idea........
edit on 5/21/2014 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman
If that's how you feel, you should probably deny that The Blaze article as ignorant, then.

Go read Mrs. Obama's remarks and see what they actually say.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Greven

First, I did read the speech and that's the second time you've assumed I didn't to tell me I should. I read The Blaze article about as far as it took to get to the first link embedded in it. That link goes to the White House Press Office and a transcript of the speech.

If we want to get downright particular about it, the whole speech is race related, and I wonder if this specific woman with her very individual background, could give a speech like this which wasn't in some way racial or political. I kinda doubt it, for how often I've seen it.

Her Masters Thesis was also an interesting read...I must say.

My opinion on our First Lady is anything but uneducated.

However, on the second point, this is about the thread topic and not my level of education or understanding as an individual....lets keep it off the personal.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
What she said is awsome, what the news article says has nothing to do with her speech.

thanks for coming out

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
What she said is awsome, what the news article says has nothing to do with her speech.

thanks for coming out

It does if you actually look further then what the speech says......

I guess this is the problem tho.........

Thats how these people keep getting elected, they keep just listening to what they say, and not what they mean, or the intentions behind them.......

And we see why we are in the mess we are in as a country

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   

See thats your opinion, i see a good positive msg, not everything is a propaganda jedi mind trick.

And your country has been a mess for lot longer than the obamas, and no i aint pointing a finger at bush, your last what 5 presidents where all bought out puppets.

Facts are america is slowly dying like rome died, from inside and from outsiders.

Not trying to attack you just seeing it differently i guess.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   

First, I did read the speech and that's the second time you've assumed I didn't to tell me I should.

However, on the second point, this is about the thread topic and not my level of education or understanding as an individual....lets keep it off the personal.

A simple "I've read it" would have sufficed the previous time to quell any further prompting.

I'm not debating your opinions or you, personally; I simply asked that you be informed regarding this speech, in keeping with the theme of ATS. I'm not sure how you got some sort of personal thing out of this.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join