It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Jimmy Paige steal his stairway to Heaven ?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I invented the 1,4,5 progression. If I catch anyone else using it, I will not sue. I will poop in your mailbox.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje
Racist?? For questioning BS claims? Puhlease. That seems to be the normal response when anyone asks for facts, which there are none, only opinions.

No, racist for that comment about Africans, and because of your refusal to accept widely accepted, well attested facts about the origins of American popular music. Black African music strongly influenced rock and country music as well as many other musical forms. Eat it, because it is true.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Now now lovelies, err back to jimmy page and STH. Or duke it out in the debate forum

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Good advice. I'm taking it.

Could some kind moderator please change the spelling of James Patrick Page's name in the headline, please?

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
You look how John Fogerty was ripped off. Jimmy Page should study that case under a microscope. The record company owner even tried to sue John for "plagerizing" himself, but they were made to look like fools in court and Fogerty won. There were even people rushing trying to record music before it was recorded by the original writer and musician because they heard it while at the studio. This thievery has been rampant and going on in the music biz for a long time. There's been many musicians who were tricked into signing away their money.

Jimmy Page is essentially a victim of that. There's only so many notes and there are known bars of music, or rhythms, that are of standard variety, which means, everybody uses those same rhythms the same way that everybody uses the words: 'the, and, but'. The riff in question is a descending scale that is very standard on the guitar, and anyone who plays guitar or knows anything about music theory would know this, but it's not about that. It's about $$$$$ and trying to stake claim to something that was never theirs. Hopefully, Jimmy will be able to hang onto what is his, and if not, he can get it back like Fogerty did. What's right is right.

If someone really wanted to, they could claim that almost every song out there is plagiarism. Many songs sound the same in a sense. This guy, Randy Craig Wolfe's family, needs to find an honest way to make money. Jimmy Page is a riff machine and wouldn't have to "rip off" anybody else. It would be as ridiculous if someone said that Edward Van Halen ripped someone off. They don't need to.

I don't know why but this reminds me of how Tesla was done and many, many other people who I won't bother naming.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

There's always gonna be similar songs and similar notes being played. It has to be proven in a court that something was being "plagiarized", so obvious, beyond a reasonable doubt, and I just don't think it's there. Of course there's always somebody suing somebody else trying to get some easy money. I believe this to be one of those bogus claims.

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

Doesn't know, won't learn, can't be taught.

Have a nice day off school, then.

edit on 28/5/14 by Astyanax because: well, what else can you say?

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Taught what? How to perpetrate a money scam and try and take credibility for something that I didn't have no part of just because of a similarity?? Many farts sound the same too, but it doesn't mean everybody is trying to fart like everybody else. There's only so many variations before some of them sound the same. You fart like me and I WILL SUE YOU$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Are you a family member of this guy? I'm just curious...

posted on May, 29 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

The fact of the matter is that despite Page's prodigious talent several songs off of the first 3 albums were either reworked or just copied in their entirety by Zeppelin. Dazed and Confused was a slightly reworked Yardbirds song that Page had no part in writing and excluded the original author, Jake Holmes, from the song writing credits. And honestly, the yardbirds version is actually better sounding in my opinion. Bbe I'm Gonna Leave You was written by Annie Cochrane, yet when recorded by Zeppelin Page gave himself and Plant writing credit for the song despite having nothing to do with the writing at all.

Whole Lotta Love? Not even a thank you to Muddy Waters for rioting it for them. All they did was rework the arrangement and then steal lyrics from the Small Faces song 'you need lovin'. I could go on all day with examples of both major and minor copyright infringements. I

t's not as simple a matter as having a similar chord progression and shrugging it off as coincidence. Page has lost numerous lawsuits and been forced to give, in some cases posthumously, credit to some of the people he liberally "borrowed" from. Others never got the credit they deserved but received a nice check to make it go away. To dismiss the blatant disregard for something as simple as giving credit when and where its due is odd to me.

You can still be a fan and love the music while knowing they weren't nearly as original as everyone thinks they are. The only people who lapped them on it at the time was Rolling Stone mAgazine. They picked up on the lack of originality from the get go and didn't let up until they actually wrote their own music and found their own voice towards the end of their run. It's in no way a slap against the musicianship of anyone in the band, but the fact is they did borrow liberally and refuse to give credit for or just ourptright claim authorship of music written and performed by others

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Read my first post in this thread. Not everybody shares the same simpleminded view of the world.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Keep insulting me. I like it.

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Just read the post.

posted on Jun, 6 2014 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
a reply to: skunkape23

I rate JP higher than most rockers, however, they DID perform with the band Taurus in 68 2 years before he said he wrote it. Too many coincidences?

One of the things I like about Page is he once said he'd stolen a riff or two. If the Kinks got royalties for stolen melodies, they'd probably be billionaires. (Ray Davies anyway)
It's sad that a bunch of slimy lawyers are getting involved.

Some trivia...Did you know Jimmy played guitar on Donovan's 1960's hit "Season of the Witch"?
Some of the coolest and eeriest guitar ever recorded.

Jimmy Page also played on the huge Tom Jones hit "It Not Unusual". So next time you hear that song thinking of Carlton Banks bopping to it, give props to Jimmy as well.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   
This whole thing is ridiculous and I can't believe people still argue over it. They are simply the greatest band ever no two ways about it, you'd be a fool to think that most musicians don't 'borrow' from others intentionally or unintentionally. Music is not created in a vacuum so get over it!

My 0.02c
edit on 318Sundayam2014-06-15T01:38:40-05:00kSun2014110 by BlackDog10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
You want proof of the Gaelic influence in rock look no further...

The riff is is taken from an age old reell/jig...

BTW Paul Simon's Scarborough Fair??? My mum must have been a time traveller then, cos that was a traditional lullaby she used to sing to me in the early 60s. Paul Simon has a fearful reputation for err let's say, "borrowing stuff".

There's a video on YouTube that keeps being taken down and put back up that is a real eye opener. The number of "preppie punk" bands like Green Day who have well, let's be honest here, simply rewritten lesser known foreign language songs and simply added English lyrics is shameful.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Whether they did or not, it's a great song. Just don't play it in this place

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Hehehe I still think of that scene when I hear it

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
So do I. I saw the movie again a few days ago and thought of it when I saw this thread.
a reply to: zazzafrazz

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join