It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bear Grylls survival show accused of 'fakery'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
yea..always thought this was happening ..especially when the cameramen need water.. simple logic really .. but .. anyways..

A survival show presented by Bear Grylls has become embroiled in a faking row after producers admitted adding a rubber lined pool for water and two crocodiles to an island where men were marooned and tasked with finding their own food, shelter and water.

thoughts ?

ugh .. hang on .. need to link the source !!!! grrrr
Bear Grylls

*mods .. you know what to do .. *
edit on 20-5-2014 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-5-2014 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Komodo

Can you provide a link?
Thanks in advance

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
You mean....it was fake? I'm shocked!

Actually, I doubt anyone in their right mind thought it was 100% survival. It's entertainment.

I will give him a bit of credit because I heard he teaches good survival techniques. Never seen the show myself.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   

This was all disclosed on the programme website weeks ago, before the series even started. They openly admitted they had to augment the water and food supply. No fakery.

Edit: here is the link

www.channel4.com...

Did you have to make any changes to the Island?
We wanted an island that had the natural resources necessary for the men to survive a month. Additional yucca plants were planted in order to supplement the existing supply. Whilst the island had a natural freshwater source, this evaporates during the dry season so production lined and topped up the water source before filming. This ensured that there was enough fresh water on the island for the men to survive.

We undertook a full recce of the island so our experts were aware of the hazards and risks associated with the environment and the men's training was tailored to take into account the resources available and challenges of the terrain.

What about disruption to the natural habitat?
It was important that filming and the men's presence on the island did not unduly disrupt or damage the natural habitat. Any material damage to the island was rectified after filming and the men received training about animals native to the island that are on the protected species list (received from ANAM).

Caimans are indigenous to the island and the men were given advice on how to catch and humanely kill caiman in their survival training. We were aware that the men may need to resort to killing caiman in order to survive and that this would have an impact on the natural environment of the island. As such, the decision was taken to put two caiman on the island (in addition to the indigenous population).

Grylls got called out on hiding the truth of production of one of his shows a few years back so I imagine he is very careful to give full disclosure nowadays!
edit on 20-5-2014 by Rob48 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Bear is more Big Boy Scout than rugged Mountain man. I'm sure the guy could survive in any given survival situation but his shows are more about exciting entertainment for the masses than actual survival.
I started watching one show on netflix the other day...i gave up after 5 mins...to dramatic for my liking.

If we both found ourselves in a survival situation without water i would gladly share my urine with Bear.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
If its on the telly.....its gonna be fake.

Same thing happened with David Attenborough program in the uk. Showed him looking at Polar bears in the Arctic, but turned out they were really in a zoo!

Even wild life programs are faked, what hope is there of ever getting any truth from the telly!

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Komodo
yea..always thought this was happening ..especially when the cameramen need water.. simple logic really .. but .. anyways..

A survival show presented by Bear Grylls has become embroiled in a faking row after producers admitted adding a rubber lined pool for water and two crocodiles to an island where men were marooned and tasked with finding their own food, shelter and water.

thoughts ?

ugh .. hang on .. need to link the source !!!! grrrr
Bear Grylls
Have you seen anything on Tru TV recently? Channel is garbage selling fakery like towing shows that are staged.

*mods .. you know what to do .. *

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rob48

This was on the programme website weeks ago. They openly admitted they had to augment the water and food supply. No fakery.

Edit: here is the link

www.channel4.com...

Did you have to make any changes to the Island?
We wanted an island that had the natural resources necessary for the men to survive a month. Additional yucca plants were planted in order to supplement the existing supply. Whilst the island had a natural freshwater source, this evaporates during the dry season so production lined and topped up the water source before filming. This ensured that there was enough fresh water on the island for the men to survive.

We undertook a full recce of the island so our experts were aware of the hazards and risks associated with the environment and the men's training was tailored to take into account the resources available and challenges of the terrain.

What about disruption to the natural habitat?
It was important that filming and the men's presence on the island did not unduly disrupt or damage the natural habitat. Any material damage to the island was rectified after filming and the men received training about animals native to the island that are on the protected species list (received from ANAM).

Caimans are indigenous to the island and the men were given advice on how to catch and humanely kill caiman in their survival training. We were aware that the men may need to resort to killing caiman in order to survive and that this would have an impact on the natural environment of the island. As such, the decision was taken to put two caiman on the island (in addition to the indigenous population).

Grylls got called out on hiding the truth of production of one of his shows a few years back so I imagine he is very careful to give full disclosure nowadays!

wow.. it's ,like you didn't even read it source !!!!! and cherry picked ..

In 2008 Grylls apologised to viewers after he was involved in another fakery row, after it emerged he stayed in a hotel rather than in the wild while filming Born Survivor.

here's the entire article for incase it goes down for whatever reason .. just so you can read it and decide for yourselves what is and is NOT a fake.. wow.....!!!

Channel 4 has admitted that a pool of water was lined with rubber to ensure participants had a water supply that did not evaporate during filming of television show The Island, where 13 ‘ordinary men’ were left to fend for themselves.
Bosses also admitted two caimans - a species of crocodile - were let loose on the uninhabited island to ensure there was enough “native wildlife” to sustain the 13 men during the 28 days they had to show they could survive.
In an introduction to the show, Grylls said: “I want to find out what happens if you strip man of all the luxuries and conveniences of modern living and then force him to fight for his existence.”
It has also emerged that four of those put on the Pacific Island – dubbed “ordinary men” – had experience of surviving in extreme environments and at least two had worked with Grylls before, the Daily Mirror reported.

Rupert Smith, who had worked in war zones and alongside Grylls on another programme, Escape to the Legion, was filmed jumping on the back of a caiman crocodile and then capturing it with Sackie Osakanor, an actor.
Kiff MacManus, who has 10 years’ experience of surviving in some of the world’s most dangerous places, also features in the show. His background is listed on the profile pages of the show’s website.
During the show viewers were told that three of the men were trained cameramen, but were reminded that “none of these men have any experience living in the wild.”
In a ‘making of’ video, posted on the programme’s website, it states four professionals have been embedded into the group but does not explain who they are.
However Channel 4 said the programme’s voice-over clearly explained that four crew members were part of the show and said their professions were captioned on the screen.
All of the men's professions and backgrounds are also detailed in biographies on the programme's website.
In 2008 Grylls apologised to viewers after he was involved in another fakery row, after it emerged he stayed in a hotel rather than in the wild while filming Born Survivor.

A statement said: "It clearly states in the programme voice over that trained crew are part of the experiment, living under exactly the same conditions as the other men. Like all of the men on the island, their professions are captioned on screen and their backgrounds are discussed. Biographies are also on the Channel 4 website.

“We had to ensure the island’s only water supply, a muddy pool, would last through filming in the dry season and that there was enough native animals and native vegetation that could sustain the men for 28 days – as long as they had the ingenuity to find it, catch it and kill it.
"This is made clear in the voiceover of the programmes."
A spokesman said a pool of water on the island was "lined with rubber to ensure the water did not evaporate."
He also said two caimans, which are indigenous to the island, were added.
Source!
edit on 20-5-2014 by Komodo because: becuse I must

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

It's surprising how many people think reality TV is real.

edit:

A spokesman said a pool of water on the island was "lined with rubber to ensure the water did not evaporate."

A liner on the ground prevents evaporation? Someone will believe that also.

edit on 5/20/2014 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Watch it before you judge it, it's a pretty entertaining show & social experiment.

I would absolutely LOVE to see celebrities do this, abandoned on an island with a rubber pool, the clothes they're wearing, some sun tan lotion and 1 day of survival training.

Have to source freshwater & find all food, see how many celebs would last.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Iv'e worked on a few "reality" shows as a grip/gaffer.
How can you have reality with a full crew.

1 Director
2 Production
2.1 Production office
2.1.1 Production Management
2.1.2 Assistant Directors
2.1.3 Accounting
2.2 Locations
2.3 Additional production credits
2.4 Continuity
2.5 Casting
3 Camera & Lighting
3.1 Camera
3.2 Lighting
3.3 Electrical
3.4 Grip
4 Art Department
4.1 Art
4.2 Sets
4.3 Construction
4.4 Property
5 Costume Department
6 Hair and make-up
7 Special Effects

And this doesn't include "crafty"....the cast and crew must be fed on set.
edit on 20-5-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

edit:

agreed ..however... there was one show that put 7 or 8 people together in a urban setting and it was outlined to them they were on their own .. and on one show.. someone I think go seriously hurt due to a bobby trap set up by a former Ranger or SEAL member...

the show was quickly canceled after that.. it was 3-4 years ago maybe.. that right there to me was pretty serious..

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

edit:

I KNOW RIGHT !!! like .. wow.. !

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Not sure what you mean by that. I have no brief for Bear Grylls and have never watched the show but I did happen to read the show website some weeks ago and remembered reading the stuff about food and water supplies.

So the article which claims they were concealing that fact is obviously not true. The details are right there on the official Channel 4 website for the series!

As for the liner stopping evaporation... well I assume they mean it stops the water soaking away in dry weather and it got garbled somewhere along the line.

Seriously, is this a story? If they dumped people on an island with no food or water they would have a very short series and a lot of red tape bringing the bodies home.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Iv'e worked on a few "reality" shows as a grip/gaffer.
How can you have reality with a full crew.

1 Director
2 Production
2.1 Production office
2.1.1 Production Management
2.1.2 Assistant Directors
2.1.3 Accounting
2.2 Locations
2.3 Additional production credits
2.4 Continuity
2.5 Casting
3 Camera & Lighting
3.1 Camera
3.2 Lighting
3.3 Electrical
3.4 Grip
4 Art Department
4.1 Art
4.2 Sets
4.3 Construction
4.4 Property
5 Costume Department
6 Hair and make-up
7 Special Effects

exactly ..!!

who's going to pay all of those people to assist in bringing it to the TV.. ???!!!

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   

and on one show.. someone I think go seriously hurt due to a bobby trap set up by a former Ranger or SEAL member...

That's a sick ego manic or plain old psychopath.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rob48

Not sure what you mean by that. I have no brief for Bear Grylls and have never watched the show but I did happen to read the show website some weeks ago and remembered reading the stuff about food and water supplies.

So the article which claims they were concealing that fact is obviously not true. The details are right there on the official Channel 4 website for the series!

I....
linked the source and the entire article LOL..

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
In reply to olaru12

Well this is not quite like that as the only crew on the actual island are the embedded cameramen, who are part of the "experiment". Plus there is radio contact once a day for safety reasons.

No outside film crew are on the island.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I remember a few Years back the Japanese dumped some people on a rock off the coast of Scotland, i'm pretty sure it was Ailsa Craig, anyway, some of them nearly died and i'm sure the show had to be abandoned...well you know the Japs and how they roll..

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
yo! ..

looking for reality survival ..? head over to my Thread and read up a bit..

cuz' .. that's completely in your face survival .. spending 4 days in a car at a walmart ...aint the greatest !!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join