It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science Quiz #2: Is E=mc² right or wrong?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2024 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: mbkennel

The speed of light has been accurately known for much longer than it has been measurable in a laboratory.

Mid 1800's they still may have been hiding the Hubble constant theory which was disclosed in 1929.

www.sciencetopia.net...

Modern value for the Hubble constant is still close to 71.

posted on Apr, 7 2024 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skinnerbot
Mid 1800's they still may have been hiding the Hubble constant theory which was disclosed in 1929.
That doesn't seem possible, where did you get that crazy idea? In the early 1900's astronomers didn't even understand there were other galaxies beyond our own.

How Edwin Hubble discovered galaxies outside our own

In 1923, the universe was still thought to be a small place. Astronomers believed the Milky Way galaxy was at least tens of thousands light-years across, but they thought it was all there was to the universe — one grand galaxy spiraling in a lonesome ballet.
Then in 1925, Hubble showed Andromeda was another galaxy.

Modern value for the Hubble constant is still close to 71.
We have a modern crisis in cosmology because we get three different values for the Hubble constant using three different methods. This graphic shows that 71 is excluded by the error bars of two of the three methods, it's only included in the middle method.

How a Dispute over a Single Number Became a Cosmological Crisis

edit on 202447 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Apr, 7 2024 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Maybe "hiding" is the wrong term, if the math works for different interpretations than there can be different interpretations.

Similar issue to Earth rotation instead of the middle age belief the heavens rotate around the earth.

If I were to try and understand how the mathematics used in quantum mechanics relates to physical reality in the many worlds theory I'd probably start with something philosophical.

Nicole Oresme

We don't even know for sure when Oresme was born...

posted on Apr, 7 2024 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Skinnerbot
I get a 503 error at your link:

There's a wikipedia article about a Nicole Oreseme who lived from about 1325 to 1382, but I can't see what that person would have to do with some claim about the Hubble constant knowledge in the mid-1800s.

Whether you call it "hidden" or something else, mid-1800s seems like a nonsensical claim from what I know of the evolution of astronomy and the discovery of the Hubble constant.

posted on Apr, 7 2024 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

Well, they said it. It's the simplified rest version.

E = M (subscript 0) C² denoting that version does have any inherent momentum. Relativistic mass.

People barely get the simplified version. It's like when you'd reduce terms back in simple math. And because your denoting no momentum on the Mass you can exclude the momentum.

It doesn't work for those massless particles in the simplified form, but there are people that think the oceans should fly off the planet because we are traveling so fast... so... the simplified version.

The "public can't cope with anything more complicated" is a nice euphemism for "people are idiots".

ETA:

This is an old thread. Didn't check the post date. Like the video though.
edit on 7-4-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2024 @ 07:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

In 1939 Einstein started out a speech at the New York worlds fair “If science, like art, is to perform its mission truly and fully,” he began, “its achievements must enter not only superficially but with their inner meaning into the consciousness of people.”

Probably because most of us can more easily conceive some of the "many worlds" of art.

But art is not exact and can hide things and is seemingly almost a predatory phenomena, unexplained phenomena can terrify.
Maybe in the mid 1800's they were concerned that kindling a mass energy conversion might not be a controllable venture thus the secrecy?

posted on Apr, 8 2024 @ 07:48 AM
link   
in my best Justin Wilson vocie,

he was wrong, cause everybody knows pie are round and cornbread are square

posted on Apr, 8 2024 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: BernnieJGato

And you can't get to the correct side of the river through Dublin either.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join