It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Talcum & Baby Powder linked Cancer!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Are men and babies immune? Incredible! My mom used baby powder on me. I’ve used baby powder on my kids, and I also know that some men use talcum powder in the region of concern. So far we are all fine, with the exception of one in-law that recently passed away from ovarian cancer in Indiana. Very horrible and sad. She hadn’t heard about this beforehand. What about men using talcum powder in the “private’ area! I didn’t see any research listed on that.

I wont mention the name of the largest company that makes baby powder but it isn’t hard to find and we all know who that is. Many other links directly indicate they knew years ago, yet said nothing. Most of us like our babies to smell like baby lotion after a bath. I think the lotion is safe and again the toxic talcum in the product claims it isn’t linked to babies for some reason but has me concerned. How can this be? I added a few more links to sources below. A lawyer representing a major company admitted that the company executives knew about the link to ovarian cancer, but did nothing because the risk was not considered SUFFICIENTLY SIGNIFICANT!

Several studies have looked at the possible talcum powder-cancer link and some report an increased risk. One recent study suggested that use of talcum powder in the genital area may increase the risk of endometrial (uterine) cancer in women who are past menopause, the cancer society says. Baby powder and other talcum products have never carried a warning of cancer risks. What about men and boys. They have similar external parts. I haven’t seen a research done of this but common sense tells me n it wouldn’t be wise to use talcum powder in that “private’ area of the body. Talc is a hydrous magnesium silicate, an inorganic material mined from the earth. There are talc mines throughout the United States. Talc is number one, the softest mineral on scale of mineral hardness. Although the tests weren’t intended for babies I’m terrified. We as parents feel we are great parents for applying baby powder after baths, etc.
Talcum powder is frequently used to prevent diaper rash in babies, and is also used by some women. However, there are some concerns about the health risks that this product may pose to women, including research showing an elevated risk of cancer with the use of talc.

According to the American Cancer Society, talcum power is comprised of magnesium, silicon, and oxygen; together, these elements make up the mineral talc. Talc powder is used for rash prevention because it is very effective at soaking up moisture and reducing friction. Talc contains the carcinogen asbestos when it is in its natural form. The American Cancer Society states that consumer talcum products, such as baby powder, adult body and facial powders, have been free of asbestos since the 1970s.

There is a body of research showing that perineal genital use of talc powder is linked to health risks. Using talc-based baby powders in the genital area is “possibly carcinogenic to humans”, according to the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), an arm of the World Health Organization (WHO). It has been suggested that when the powder is applied to or near the genitals, such as on sanitary napkins, it can travel through the vagina, uterus, fallopian tubes and to the ovary.

According to the European Journal of Cancer Prevention, studies conducted over the past 25 years have shown that talc powder is associated with a higher risk of ovarian cancer. Last June, Cancer Prevention Research published a study that combined data from eight research papers involving nearly 2,000 women. The study found that there was a 20 percent to 30 percent increased risk of ovarian cancer in women who used talc for “intimate personal hygiene”. A 2003 analysis that pooled data from 16 studies showing that in talc users, there was a 30 percent increased risk of ovarian cancer. Since the average woman has about a 1.4 percent risk of ovarian cancer in her lifetime, a 30 percent increase equates to about 1.8 percent.

There is also recent evidence suggesting that genital talcum powder use is linked to higher risk of endometrial (uterine) cancer in post-menopausal women. A review in the Nurses’ Health Study showed that regular perineal use of talcum powder (about once a week) was associated with a 24 percent increased risk of endometrial cancer while “ever” use was linked to a 21 percent increased risk.

www.publichealthwatchdog.com...

www.gloucestercitynews.net...

www.courthousenews.com...

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: wonderworld

always thought the risks were due to inhalation while lungs were developing.

As a guy, I use powder in some areas, especially during the heat. Things seem to go more smoothly.

Actually, if I don't have powder I get cranky.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
WOW, i didnt know about this, we use talcum powder for some of our manufacturing processes with glass, i will be paying much closer attention to how we use it

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Talc is also known to cause lung disease. As a nurse in the UK I know that the use of talc has been discouraged in adult care for years. It is not used in maternity care either.
err.ersjournals.com...
Here is an abstract of a study looking at eight papers on the subject of talc and ovarian cancer
cancerpreventionresearch.aacrjournals.org...

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I read about this over 30 years ago, so I never used it on our kids!
That's probably why they came out with Baby Cornstarch Powder!
Don't know if that has any dangers associated with it, since it's a plant!
Unless you happen to be allergic to corn maybe!!!

WOQ

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
pfftt everything seems to cause cancer.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: wasobservingquietly

yeah, back then we were told not to use baby powder (talc because they thought it mixed with the baby nose secretions in their little noses and became thick and effected their breathing and cause some crib deaths

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Looking at Wikipedia, it seems the problem is that Talk is often mined alongside asbestos so there can be migration and contamination.

One particular issue with commercial use of talc is its frequent co-location in underground deposits with asbestos ore, which often leads to contamination of powdered talc products with asbestos fibres.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I'll take the risk. Baby powder on certain areas during the summer months has helped me out of many sticky situations.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: wonderworld

It has been fairly well known for a long time that breathing in talc isn't very good for you. The talc bottles have had warnings on to avoid breathing in the powder for many years.

I remember when I was a kid my dad used to douse himself in the stuff - I'd walk in the bathroom after he had been in there and it was like a snow storm! Doesn't seem to have done him much harm, but I've never really found the need to use talc. Maybe if I lived in a hot climate I would, but 80F is considered a heat wave where I'm from!

I have very rarely used baby powder on my daughter, and when I have I have put a little in my hand and then applied it to the appropriate parts rather than shaking it all over. Common sense really.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
VERY old news to me...

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: wasobservingquietly
I read about this over 30 years ago, so I never used it on our kids!
That's probably why they came out with Baby Cornstarch Powder!
Don't know if that has any dangers associated with it, since it's a plant!
Unless you happen to be allergic to corn maybe!!!

WOQ

exactly, just use Cornstarch Powder, people seem to think its the same thing for some reason, i guess cause it feels so similar, but it isnt the same, much better for you,

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:11 AM
link   
There i a nationwide lawsuit going on right against the company who use talcum powder in their products.
www.callinjuryhelp.com...

reply to: wonderworld

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:33 AM
link   
not so sure i can buy into this. if it were true, i would think just about everyone here would have cancer. since just about everyone here uses it pretty much every day, all of their lives. kids are powdered every day, at least once it not multiple times due to sweating while they play. especially their chests and backs. and many continue to do so all of their adult lives. they are more at risk from skin whitening products, some of which contain things like lead. which are also widely used, than from baby powder.

top topics

join