It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I was wondering, does anyone here have experience with hyperbaric oxygen therapy?

I'm trying to get my son into one of the experimental studies using HBOT due to a severe brain injury. I know of at least one other member who has tried it for an autistic child. But I'm looking for more information so that we can afford this treatment for my child.

The closest study I can find in Oklahoma is in Oklahoma City (an hour and a half drive from home), but the physician who is working in conjunction with the study is located in Tulsa, which is a 3 - 4 hour drive for us (And I can't get them to call me back to set up the initial exam!). I could make those drives a couple of times with no issue, but they want him to spend an hour a day in the chamber, six days per week for a total of 80 treatments - so around three months total. Then, we will have to buy a portable chamber to have at home for maintenance treatments every so often. If we could find a doctor who would prescribe the chamber and then show me how to use it a few times in an office setting, I think we could do the vast majority of the treatments at home. I'm very excited about this treatment because I think it really could help my son with a minimum amount of side effects.

So is there anyone else here who has children who have undergone HBOT? Did it help your child and in what ways? Did you participate in a study or did you pay for the treatments? Did you see any adverse side effects? Do you know of any studies for children that you would recommend?

The only downsides to this treatment that I can find are the travelling distances while I try to work 40 hours a week, our insurance won't pay for any of it, because it hasn't been proven (probably because it doesn't involve a ton of pills and drugs for the pharmaceutical companies to make money!) and is still experimental. I have also found a few studies that would involve less driving, but they will only consider candidates who are adults and have seen active combat. My son is only 9 and has no combat experience except with Nerf guns - lol.

Our pediatrician has indicated that she thinks this could really turn things around for my son, as she has read up on it quite a lot since she took over his treatment. Unfortunately, she says she isn't trained well enough on the subject to write us the prescription for the portable chamber or to show us how to use it properly.

It baffles me that apparently the military has some faith in this therapy, as there are trials going on everywhere for returning combat veterans, but the insurance industry thinks it's hokum and it would be better to just prescribe some more pills - they WILL pay for chemicals, but not pressurized oxygen.

Any suggestions or information about your experiences would be greatly appreciated. And please tell me what the person was being treated for, as I know they are using this for autism, chronic concussive syndrome, brain injuries and all sorts of brain related conditions.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: DustbowlDebutante

Hyperbaric oxygen treatments are really fantastic. Our bodies function MUCH better in such an environment. Its almost like our bodies were designed for such an environment. I would HIGHLY recommend it. I only wish I could afford a chamber just for a daily use. I am sorry to hear about his injuries but IMO your best chance of seeing a recovery is using a HBO chamber.

We heal faster, our bodies detoxify faster, and we generally feel better. There are allot of benefits. I would say to go all in with it. Its definately something to consider.

My prayers are with you son.
Good luck, be well.

Hold it down.
edit on 5 20 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

Everything I have read agrees completely with what you've just said.

The lead researcher of the study I found said they will likely put me into the chamber with him the first few times and I have to admit, I was looking forward to that!

We plan on buying a portable chamber for maintenance treatments at home and I plan to use it as well, as I can't see how it could hurt me

Have you personally used HBOT? May I ask what for condition you used it, whether or not it helped your condition and what it was like?

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

No I have never used one. I have just been obsessed with them for a couple years now and researched them extensively.

Its crazy that we dont have these things readily available. You could go to a spa in LA and use one everyday for beautification but not a hospital anywhere else in the USA for a wide range of afflictions it would cure. Crazy world.

I have read of ultra rich setting up entire sections of their house to act like a HBO chamber. I would!

I have always wondered what a person would be like if he /she spent their entire lives in a HBO environment from birth to death. Super men?

There have been studies done on different insects where they were born and raised in a chamber. They grew to be MASSIVE! and will probably live longer life spans as a result of the experiment. That is the reason for my obsession with them anyways.

I see it as a superman /fountain of youth chamber.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

It IS ridiculous that they can be used for a beauty treatment, but not for medical uses...smh.

This has been the thing chapping my ass here. Our hospital here in town has TWO hyperbaric chambers at our wound care center. Yes, there are 2 of them located ten minutes from my home. But we can't use them because it's an off label, unproven use. Not to mention, each session in a chamber at the hospital would cost $1000 per treatment (because insurance won't pay on it). There is a clinic (actual clinic, not just an experimental study) in Tulsa that does chelation and HBOT and some other treatments in the same vein, and they only charge $100 per session. But that runs into about $8000 for 80 sessions (that I sure don't have) on top of the daily 8 hour drive, round-trip.

My family (mostly the grandmothers of this child - God bless them) has said that they will help us come up with the money for a portable home unit, which can run anywhere from $4000 to $5000 for a small portable unit. I cannot see the sense in paying $8000 for treatments and running my poor car to death - not mention all the gas it would take! - when I can just buy a home unit for half that cost or even less when you factor in fuel costs and the wear and tear on my car.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

It IS ridiculous that they can be used for a beauty treatment, but not for medical uses...

Used for treating carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. It helps to displace CO which has a greater affinity to haemoglobin than oxygen. There is also a small amount of oxygen dissolved in plasma. With HBOT you can increase the partial pressure of oxygen so that adequate oxygenation occurs just from plasma. Obviously you need to be near facilities that have HBOT.

I have also seen it used with divers that come up to quickly and get the bends (decompression sickness).

I have read that it is very useful for deep ischaemic wounds with anaerobic bacteria.

Maybe its not licensed for these uses in the US.

edit on 20/5/2014 by earthblaze because: spelling mistake

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: earthblaze

I see what you are saying: It IS used for medical reasons - from wound healing to decompression sickness. I should have said "brain injuries and autism" instead of "medical uses."

But yes, you are quite right in that the key is being near HBOT facilities. The problem with that is that I am literally 10 minutes of driving time away from 2 hyperbaric chambers. BUT! They are located at the local hospital and they charge $1000 per session and will not allow use of their chambers except for wound healing (and other "approved" uses). And insurance will not pay for HBOT for a brain injury because it isn't yet approved as treatment for autism and/or brain injuries. However, if you are a combat veteran, you can participate in a study using HBOT and receive the treatment at no cost. So I guess the military has decided it's worth trying...but the FDA and AMA haven't gotten the memo yet.

The problems I am having are cost, location and finding a doctor who would prescribe the device and teach me to use it. I would gladly buy the portable chamber, but you can only by one with a prescription from a doctor. Then, I would need said doctor to show me how to set it up and operate it so I can use it at home for my son.

I was really hoping someone here at ATS might know of a doctor or organization who will prescribe the device and teach me to use it at home since there are no HBOT studies or facilities nearby...

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Just had a conversation yesterday with a friend who got a concussion in a car accident. because of his connections with the NFL he qualified for a test. They stuck him in one of these things one hour a day for 8 weeks. He said it did wonders. His improvement was measured by testing, before and after. he was definitely impaired prior, as shown by his scores. Afterwards he had improved to normal or superior. These are all "cognitive" tests measuring brain activity.

He's 63, not a kid. Some interesting side effects: His hair started growing back black instead of grey.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I've read about this a little. I do not know what to say. They are having success with this, but weather it will work in the case of your child, I do not know. I won't recommend it nor will I not recommend it. You should research it and make a determination on your own. Let us know how it works if you decide to do it. I don't understand why this should cost so much, I suppose a lot of cost is acquired by this technology and few people are doing it so the cost will remain high. There must be a natural way to accomplish this. Increasing the efficiency of the blood to utilize oxygen might accomplish the same thing, making all blood cells work at their best. Certain chemistry can adjuvate crossing of nutrients and oxygen to the brain so healing can occur better. This chemistry can come from nature.

How bad is your kids brain damage?

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Have you thought about renting one? The link below is for a portable home hyperbaric unit. It is a Class 2 medical device. The company may have medical/nursing staff to help you. Worth a look if you have not already seen it.

Link

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Yeah buddy.

This really is the most amazing best kept secret the public isnt being given. I like to think of it like the healing sarcophagus from stargate.

The list goes on.....

Here is a good resource of known conditions treated with HBO. Autism is on the list.

www.drcranton.com...

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

He has what is called a Diffuse Axonal Brain Injury. It's similar to the brain damage one would see in a shaken baby.

When they showed me the MRI of his brain, there were little spots all over his brain that were visible in the image. The neurosurgeon explained to me that those are the spots that are basically dead. They no longer receive any blood and they never will.

But from what I understand about HBOT and this type of brain injury, the therapy will force oxygen to those parts of the brain, and can stimulate new stem cell growth which could not only help the dead spots, but also assist with the re-routing his brain is having to do to work around the dead spots so that the brain can function more normally.

Everyone I have talked to (pediatrician, internist, HBOT director at a HBOT clinic, lead researcher on HBOT study) all say he is a prime candidate for this treatment and agree that he needs it and it may make all the difference in the world for him. The logistics and money are the main issue for us.

However, this treatment may eliminate some of the medicines he is on, which is an added benefit. The child still has horrific headaches that he has to take narcotic pain pills for which have their own risks and side-effects. One of the HBOT doctors I spoke with explained that this is largely in part due to the fact that his brain is still swollen. It can take years for the swelling to go away on its own, but HBOT will bring it down much faster, along with numerous other benefits.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Just had a conversation yesterday with a friend who got a concussion in a car accident. because of his connections with the NFL he qualified for a test. They stuck him in one of these things one hour a day for 8 weeks. He said it did wonders. His improvement was measured by testing, before and after. he was definitely impaired prior, as shown by his scores. Afterwards he had improved to normal or superior. These are all "cognitive" tests measuring brain activity.

He's 63, not a kid. Some interesting side effects: His hair started growing back black instead of grey.

That is amazing!!! This is what we are hoping for with my son! I pray he has results like this and that we can get him this treatment somewhere!!! Thanks!

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: earthblaze
Have you thought about renting one? The link below is for a portable home hyperbaric unit. It is a Class 2 medical device. The company may have medical/nursing staff to help you. Worth a look if you have not already seen it.

Link

Thank you for that link. We have indeed looked at renting/leasing. The cheapest price I could find was $1800 per month! And we will need the device for at least three to four months, and then sporadically for maintenance treatments. Unfortunately, considering how long we would have to rent it, buying a soft portable chamber costs about $4000, so buying would be cheaper for us. Plus, then it is ours forever, so his maintenance treatments would be no big deal.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
a reply to: schuyler
Here is a good resource of known conditions treated with HBO. Autism is on the list.

www.drcranton.com...

My son did a year of physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy after the accident that left him with the brain injury. There were TONS of kids with autism doing therapy there as well, and I had the privilege of meeting lots of their moms. I know there was one mom who had bought a portable chamber for her autistic son. A few months after they started using it, her son stopped coming to therapy and I never saw her again.

Maybe one of the therapists there would know how she went about getting the prescription for the chamber and whatnot... I will have to look into that!

Eta: Conditions that "may be treated with HBOT" is different than "approved uses for HBOT" in that health insurance will pay for HBOT for an "approved" use, while other conditions that don't fall under the "approved conditions/uses," insurance won't pay on it at all.
edit on 20-5-2014 by DustbowlDebutante because: added stuff

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Since the doctor's office that was supposed to do his initial exam won't make the appointment - and I have been calling them every week for four months! - I just called the clinic in Tulsa instead. He will see the clinic doctor on Friday morning and then have his first treatment that afternoon. The one hour treatment will cost $125 and there will be a fee for the initial doctor's exam.

But! While we are there, they will teach me what I need to know to administer these treatments at home AND they will write us a prescription for the chamber and the oxygen concentrator!

I am so excited for my kiddo!!!

I will come back to this thread after the treatment and give y'all the lowdown on it all! Thank you all for your input, suggestions and help! And whether he knows it or not, my son thanks you as well

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I am so happy you finally are going to be able to try this therapy. I actually shed a little tear for you and your family. Please do let us know how it works out...and I am certainly wishing you the best possible results!

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Well... We went, we saw, we were pressurized, we were oxygenated and we survived!

It's hard to say whether I saw any major difference after just the one treatment, however...

The pressure in the chamber forces all the mucus and nasty stuff out of your head and sinuses. The HBOT operator guy at the clinic said this is normal, although it usually doesn't occur until the third or fourth treatment. We had been in the chamber (they put me in there with him just in case he freaked out, as small children sometimes do) about 20 minutes when he started sneezing and the stuff started literally POURING out of his nose and mouth. He must have sneezed fifty times with this stuff just going everywhere. I've never seen anything like it. We didn't have any tissues or anything in the chamber, and they can't just open the hatch to hand you a box a tissues (the chamber must be depressurized first), so we had to make do by taking a pillow case off of one of the pillows and use it to mop up the mess. I must have soaked up between 15 and 20 ounces of this nasty junk that was in his sinuses. The pillow case was completely saturated and dripping.

The HBOT operator said his whole head must have really been plugged up for that much stuff to be pouring out on his first visit. And since the treatment, he hasn't needed any allergy medication or his inhaler. Weird, but awesome.

I also noticed he seemed to feel good and happy, and he had lots of energy after the treatment. I found it to be very relaxing and kind of wanted a nap afterward. Of course, that also could have had to do with the fact I had been up since four that morning and on the road since 6:00 am to make it to the appointment on time.

Tomorrow afternoon, he sees his pediatrician. We have to take her some papers the HBOT clinic gave us and they said they will help her with the information she needs to write him a prescription for a portable home chamber and oxygen concentrator. So hopefully, we will have a portable chamber at home within the next couple of weeks and start his HBO therapy in earnest!

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:28 AM
link   

I have major inhalant chemical allergies and tried the Hyperbaric treatment once...couldn't afford more....but wish I could have....
Once wasn't enough and I didn't see a noticeable change....
That the one treatment flushed that much mucous, etc from your youngster suggests that you may be onto something....thank God for benevolent grandmothers...!

You may get some extraordinary support from the Environmental Health Centre in Dallas.... www.ehcd.com...
....referrals to supportive doctors, procedures and advice....

Email them and see if they can help....

Good luck,
Tarasco
(Canada)

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Now as a fitness professional I would love to get my hands on one of these.

Even just to use one once a day for an hour over a week to see the differences in recovery, muscle soreness, neurological function, and of course, athletic performance.

Not to mention all the other amazing benefits something like this could provide everyone of us.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join