It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Nationwide Shortage of Firefighters and Police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), at least two-thirds of the nation's fire departments are understaffed. And according to several sources, many big-city police departments are having staffing problems, with officer numbers on the decline due to budget cuts and other things. Concerns are growing that many people may be left unprotected in the event of a mass-casuality terrorism event. Important: Please see the original article on this to grasp the full extent of this problem, as many facts and figures are given.

sto ry.news.yahoo.com
At least two-thirds of the nation's fire departments are understaffed, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), which sets firefighting codes and standards. The shortage is worst in rural volunteer departments that have trouble recruiting new members. But many big and medium-size cities that are more likely to be terrorist targets are also short-handed.

That can have a real impact. Investigators cited many factors that contributed to the deaths of 100 people in a West Warwick, R.I., nightclub fire last year. But a report commissioned by the state noted that the five firetrucks at the scene arrived with only two firefighters each - half the number recommended by the NFPA - and video showed delays in getting hoses turned on.

Staffing problems are being felt coast to coast. New York City, with 23,000 police officers, has lost 1,000 a year for the past three years. Minneapolis cut 38 positions from its police force last year. The Oregon State Police laid off 129 troopers from its 600-member force. "It's almost completely budget-driven," says Gene Voegtlin of the International Association of Chiefs of Police.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It is still very important that we keep our sights on problems here in the US, despite the tremendous attention being given to world affairs overseas. And this here is a big one. You would think that with increasing population numbers and the threat of terrorism at an all time high, that Firefighter and Police staff numbers should rise in direct proportion. This article plainly shows that this is not happening, and on the contrary, the numbers of staff are decreasing. Enter the terrorist attack, and you can see why this article brings us right back to our problems at home. We are at a point where we need 911 emergency people more than ever, and yet, sadly, this is not happening.

Related News Links:
www.queenscourier.com
www.emmitsburg.net

[edit on 29-11-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Dont worry, weve had a shortage of Police and Firefighters in the UK for ages. 'He' in office the Fuhr-sorry- PM Tony TB Blair has tied up our Police behind their desks with so much paperwork they might as well go home for all the good they do. As for the firefighters they are closing Firestations for 'cost' reasons at a rate of knots you wouln't believe.

Sorry US but we are used to it in UK.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I wish when the news was in an area it would say the country when regards to the USA like it does with every other country

Not a rant, just confuses me at times as i dont know all the US states/areas ect if it dosnt say the country

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   
It say budget driven, that means that the shortage is cause by not enough money to pay for more people.

Now how is this problem going to affect our nation?

And is our government going to do something about it.

Those are the question we must ask, I believe that this shortage was in the debates before the elections so is been a problem for some time.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Well, yeah it has been a problem, Marge. But with reports like this, I think our beaurocrats need to take a good hard look at the monetary appropriations being made for the critical issues. At this point, is it more important to spend millions and millions on foreign wars waged for questionable reasons, or to first make sure our people are well-protected at home? I would tend to side with the latter. The protection of our people, with adequate provision of 911 emergency services is critical, now more than ever. With the staff shortages, if a mass-casuality attack did occur, think of the lives that will be lost due to these shortages. And it doesn't necessarily have to be a mass casuality attack, either. Look at the original article, and check the example they provide. It could be a fire, it could be a homicidal robber. I might remind you that one of those lives lost could be YOURS. It is just one of the many areas where I strongly disagree with administration spending policy.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Hey, what police there are have more important things to do than protect you. There are pot smokers to put in jail, property to confiscate, and brain tumor victims to harrass.

If you want to cheer me up, find an article that says there is a shortage of lawyers....

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
This does not surprise me. In my part of the country, as an electrician, I make more than twice as much as a police officer. There are ads in the local paper all the time looking for certified patrol officers, paying $10-$13 an hour. That�s pathetic.

BG

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
$10.00 an hour to die on the streets at the ruthless hands of some criminal. Yeah, pathetic. In my mind police that are on the streets risking their life every day should make not a penny less than $ 100,000 a year. The desk people should make less, IMO.

[edit on 29-11-2004 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Yep, and since anyone who has any sense wouldn't risk their life for that little pay, you have all the people who might have been good cops (assuming such a thing exists) going and doing something else, which just leaves the Clockwork Orange type cops who enjoy beating people up legally.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
So true, and great point, ambient. The sheer lack of money itself invites corruption.

kam

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Not here in Massachusettes, True we have a shortage of firefighters. But we always need more firefighters in this country. The police on the other hand they can`t give people badges fast enough and does the crime go down? No! And I`m willing to bet thier some of the hightest paid in the country. And they do jack. The police do not protect and they definately do not serve. If any one thinks The police are here for the people your wrong the police are here to protect the government when the people finally get sick of them. So to be short of police is the least of worries! And the money, do you notice all of the politicians are living large.

join