It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At least two wildfires happening in Alaska today (5/19/2014)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

My bad, I was in a rush and didn't look at your previous posts.

Yes I can imagine how scary it is to face mother nature in the way you are forced to because of fire.

Be safe and please keep us posted of any updates.

edit on PM5312014555pm1531pm by Antoniastar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Antoniastar

No worries!

Back home now, smoke has cleared out quite a bit.

Not sure what the future holds, I've heard a few different figures.

I'll link any good info I may find.

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Ok ATS, apparently we have reached "megafire" status. It's over 100,000 acres now. If I seem or seemed light hearted it's because I can't dwell in negativity.

The wind has picked up significantly, basically worse case scenario I would think.

The smoke plume is F--ing apocalyptic!

Not sure if there is anyone who hasn't evacuated funny river.....this really sucks.

A fire in Alaska, the #FunnyRiverFire , will obtain #Megafire status wildfiretoday.com/2014/05/24/ala… #wildfire

inagist.com...

On the other, trees and fresh greenery stood untouched under a smoky yellow sky. Late-night evacuation At more than 96,000 acres as of Saturday morning, the Funny River wildfire is now the second-largest in the refuge’s 72-year history, surpassing the 80,000 acres burned in the 1969 Swanson River fire.

The fire’s size is now second only to the Skilak Lake fire, which burned 310,000 acres in 1947. On Saturday, the Alaska Army National Guard sent two Black Hawk helicopters with water buckets and crews to boost firefighting efforts through Monday. Other aerial forces include five helicopters and four Canadian water-scooping air tankers. About 400 personnel are now assigned to the fire.

Approximately 1,300 residents were placed under evacuation watch Saturday morning in the communities of Funny River and eastern Kasilof and in residences along the Sterling Highway corridor. The advisories came as the National Weather Service issued a red flag warning for the western Kenai Peninsula, calling for strong south-to-southwest winds of 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 35 mph along Cook Inlet.

Winds were expected to increase during the afternoon and peak in the evening hours, likely creating more fire activity, officials said. A heightened sense of alert followed the wildfire’s first evacuation order late Friday night. Officials issued the order for about 50 homes between milepost 103 and 105 of the Sterling Highway after suddenly strong gusts kicked up a towering wall of flame on the ridge overlooking the highway. “A HUGE wall of flames out our window now,” Fred Colvin, who lives off Heavy Down Drive near mile 105 of the highway, texted a reporter at 10:46 p.m.

www.alaskadispatch.com...

edit on 25-5-2014 by GoShredAK because: Links

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Woodsmom, hope you and your home are doing ok.

I can only imagine the smoke has completely taken over

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Wind

Weather for Kenai, AK 47°F | °C Sat Sun Mon Tue Smoke Wind: SW at 22 mph Humidity: 80% 54° 42° 59° 42° 55° 42° 50° 41° Detailed forecast: The Weather Channel - Weather Underground - AccuWeather

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Getting nervous, guess well see what tomorrow looks like.....

Funny River fire now over 100k acres. The scene on the ground is frantic j.mp/1nGY35N @Nat_Herz @adndotcom pic.twitter.com/uNhrkx6DWO lorenholmes @lorenholmes Sun May 25 06:46:33 UTC+0000 2014 3 retweets Soldotna area fire threatens homes on northern edge of Kenai National Wildlife Refuge | Alaska Dispatch Smoke and uncertainty hang in the air on the Kenai Peninsula, where residents and visitors alike are experiencing a holiday weekend clouded — literally — by the second-largest wildfire in the history of the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge. Read more at www.alaskadispatch.com

posted on May, 25 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Well today is no better. Much worse actually.

Thousands of evacuations today.....

www.weather.com...

Alaska: On FireAutoplayONOFF A massive wildfire in Alaska's Kenai Peninsula grew to more than 110,000 acres on Sunday, prompting thousands of evacuations on Sunday and threatening hundreds of cabins, vacation homes and year-round residences.

The wildfire, which was only 20 percent contained by Sunday morning, covered more than 218 square miles. The number of people told to flee their homes isn't clear, said Michelle Weston, spokeswoman with the Alaska Interagency Management Team, which includes the state Division of Forestry and federal and local officials. Weston said the fire recently covered nearly 218 square miles and has grown significantly as it burns in the 1.9 million-acre Kenai National Wildlife Refuge, but she didn't immediately have a new estimated size.

The Funny River Fire is named after a nearby road where all residents are being evacuated. Alaska State Troopers are going door to door, evacuating an area that's mostly second homes and is home to many retirees. Weston says no injuries were reported, and it's unclear if any buildings were damaged. Brenda Ahlberg, spokeswoman for the Kenai Peninsula Borough, said a Red Cross shelter was being set up for evacuees.

The Funny River Fire grew rapidly over the weekend, pushed by high winds. Around 450 firefighters, as well as the Alaska Air National Guard and Anchorage Fire Department, are battling the six-day-old blaze from the ground and from the air, Reuters reports.

edit on 25-5-2014 by GoShredAK because: Link

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   

We are for the moment! Thanks!

We actually went camping for a few days to get out of the smoke. We just packed up in a hurry and rushed home because the fire jumped the river. That has been my too close for comfort line.

Funny river has been evacuated, as well an area in Kasilof. The area just past us is now under evacuation advisory as well as a few other areas. We are kind of stuck between a couple of those areas and are preparing to evacuate ourselves at any point. We will be fine though. And besides so far they have been kicking ass and shifting focus to keeping structures safe. Not a single home has been lost!! These firefighters and smoke jumpers and hot shot crews are seriously bad ass and they are doing an awesome job.

Keep yourself safe too GoShred! It's is wandering all over the place with no rain in sight still. It could realistically end up just about anywhere on the peninsula at this point. They evacuated lower Skilak lake campground even.

Correction: Kasilof is only under evacuation watch.
edit on 26-5-2014 by woodsmom because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
The fire jumped the river near torpedo lake up by Skilak lake, and is traveling in a north easterly direction. There is now a small possibility that some remote cabins have been lost, but they are unable to confirm or deny because of the smoke.

It has grown to over 150,000 acres. The funny river evacuation is still in effect until its safe to return. I did see that they have it 30% contained now. Contained means that they have created a barrier that should slow or stop the forward movement of the fire. It is still 0% under control.

The smoke has lifted for the day which helps. It is still holding at about 3 miles from my house across the river. The community members and businesses have stepped up to provide whatever people possibly can. People are being sheltered in homes across the peninsula, and animals have been taken in to be cared for while their owners take care of other things. The firefighters are being incredible, everyone is beyond thankful for their hard work in keeping us all safe.

posted on May, 27 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Here's the most updated map. They have lifted the evacuation on Funny River road though they are still under advisory. We got a sprinkling of rain last night, but we could use more, much more. The clouds and moisture have weighed the smoke down pretty heavy and it's pretty thick at the house again. Here are a few pics of the cloud over us yesterday though.

The fire is now 189,000 acres and 30% contained. There are 670 firefighters working on the blaze now, and they are still holding at 0 injuries! We have people showing up from all over the country as well as from Canada. We even had two black hawk helicopters show up yesterday. When they were flying in they came right over the top of our house, low and fast. It was an impressive sight for sure. I only wish I had been quicker with my camera there. I was packing food up at the time though, and just didn't get the picture.
The best news on the fire is coming from the folks at KSRM, here's their link.

radiokenai.net...

edit on 27-5-2014 by woodsmom because: Hopefully fixed the link

posted on May, 28 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Well, I will probably make this my last update unless things flare back up.
I think the entire Kenai peninsula is breathing a sigh of relief this morning. We got more rain!!!
The incident command had two town meetings last night and most of the updates were consisted of mopping up in most places. This moisture and lack of wind really gave them a chance to get a handle on it.

We have been informed that the fire will basically burn all summer. It is just too prohibitively expensive to send crews in to deep wilderness to fight what remains where there are no roads or trails. We will have smoke around all season this year. I'm grateful though, this is the first day in over a week waking up and not being in a cloud of smoke. We chose not to leave last night since they have been doing such a good job.
Today is also the first day people are being told that they can unpack their stuff.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Holy cow!

Our firefighters found human remains out there.

Says the body was most likely there for several years.

freaky.....

www.adn.com.../99/188/

A crew working on the massive Funny River wildfire on the Kenai Peninsula found unidentified human remains Sunday near the community of Sterling, according to the Alaska State Troopers.

There were no identifying items discovered with the remains, which appeared to be several years old, according to a dispatch from troopers, who flew to the scene in a fire crew helicopter.

The troopers are waiting for information from the state's medical examiner on the age and sex of the remains, said spokeswoman Megan Peters. She declined to provide more information about how the remains were found.

Peters said troopers are reviewing cases in a missing persons database to help with identification.

"We have a lot of unanswered questions. We want to know why this person is there," she said.

"We don't even know if it's a suspicious case or not, because we don't know who the person is," she added.

Reach Nathaniel Herz at [email protected] or 257-4311

Read more here: www.adn.com...=cpy

edit on 2-6-2014 by GoShredAK because: link

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Looks like we are burning again my local AK friends. Hope it gets under control
85 freakin degrees in Alaska today folks

at work so gotta bail, any updates or further research would be appreciated

peninsulaclarion.com...

edit on 15-6-2015 by GoShredAK because: linkage

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
It's pretty hazy out right now. I can barley see Sleeping Lady across the inlet.

The emergency alert system went off on my TV yesterday, but didn't specify what the "emergency" was. Just that there was an emergency. Great, and I was all set for the zombie apocalypse to kick off, only to hear it was more wild fires!

Interrupted my Harry Potter on cable too.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

To add to the sketch factor, temperatures are supposed to be in the high seventies and beyond for a week and a half. Which is awesome, but a massive wildfire could ruin that....

thanks for weighing in Mystik
sounds like you got one in the Mat-Su too?
edit on 15-6-2015 by GoShredAK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Already seeing the haze in the air, this could be quite a bummer

not stoked, I repeat, not stoked.

ok I should really get back to work.......ATS is so much more fun though!

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

No problemo...I have a good view of inlet

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
So what? What has this to do with a conspiracy site?

There are usually dozens of wild fires burning in every state, at any given time.

posted on Jun, 15 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Two or three houses already gone

www.breakingnews.com...

I don't know babybunnies
I report things here on ATS that concern me and other Alaskans. Don't like it? so sorry grasshoppa.

Fragile earth forum, wildfires? seems legit to me. Did not realize everything had to be a conspiracy.

Will you feel better if I throw in the words "climate change" bb?

edit on 15-6-2015 by GoShredAK because: really?

posted on Jun, 17 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Insanity! So now Cooper Landing is on fire too, Tanana Slough and of course Willow. The Willow fire is so sketchy. I did just read that people may be on their way back into the Kenai Keys. I'm only grateful there isn't as much smoke as last year. I did also just read that it has jumped the Kenai river back into the Killey river area in Funny River.

With the gorgeous weather in our forecast hopefully these firefighters are able to make some headway being spread so thin. With all of our record breaking high temperatures, I saw with my own two eyes 90 degrees in Sterling, and record breaking lack of moisture, things are looking rough. Let's hope that the winds continue to cooperate.

Thanks for renewing last years watch!

ETA: at last count I believe there are ten structures lost, some primary residences. People have lost their homes this time here on the Kenai peninsula. Many many homes have also been lost in Willow. There may well be hundreds of displaced people after the smoke clears this summer.

edit on 17-6-2015 by woodsmom because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join