It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PROOF we are "influenced" by the media...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
hello ATSers...

ok, i was working on this for a couple of minutes now so here it goes:

we are ALL "influenced" by the media...

in today's day, the media is telling us that the middle easterns are bad people (roughly am i correct???)...

now ever since 911, we ALL walk around and do our daily jobs and when we see a middle easterner or a brown skinned person (excuse my language), we say: "what if he is a terrorist, what if, what if..."

even if you are the nicest person around, i am shure (even for a split second) you are thinking: "what if he is a terrorist, what if, what if..."

try to not do it...

you can't!!!

how is this thread???

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Lol, Imagine a muslim man of mid eastern ethnicity, who is genuinly trying to get his pilots license in America today
"Sorry Mustafa, have you considered plumbing?"

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Most mass communication media exist for one purpose and one purpose only and that is to get you to buy the products and services which sponsor the programming and programming has one and only one purpose and that is to put you in a position to get you to watch the advertising. If mass media advertising did not work, businesses would spend their money elsewhere. That is the proof that the media influence behavior.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Well, I don't normally associate middle eastern appearance or background with a predisposition towards acts of violence or terror. And maybe 6 billion other people don't either.

More of the world's media are probably telling readers/viewers that the American government of this day is rotten to the core. Only a select few would be saying Americans are rotten to the core, and they pander to the small-minded in the same way that xenophobic Arab-bashing or Muslim-bashing press does.

It is wisdom that would prevent the mirror image of your own perceived "media influence" operating. Otherwise everyone in the world would develop fear and loathing for America and Americans.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I'm of Middle eastern heritage.
I get it a little more often in airports.
Especially in the summer months, when my complexion is a little darker.
But not so much in the "streets".
However, Hispanics, will often start talking to me in spanish!

So, I would say it goes both ways.
And yes, there is probably something to your theory..
But there weren't many Scandinavians hijacking planes recently either..

I think ALL races are guilty of Racial Profiling, to be honest...
Unfortunately, it's natural, and has to be unlearned..

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Damn right most of us are influenced by the media on most of the issues, but not all.

Since I am almost middle-eastern (Indian, very close), does that mean I am a terrorist. I don't think so, even though my mom tells me I am.

So not on all issues are we being influenced by the media.

Surf

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   
There's this one person that people say look like Osama Bin Laden, that walks past my school everyday. People say things like look it's Bin Laden he's come to blow up the school, etc, but as Mr. Icke states that Osama was only a false excuse the U.S. government or the Illuminati made to tighten our system, causing loss of freedom. My point is that the media or whoever told us that, has brainwashed us into believing such things, and thinking about terrorists. And how we have been brainwashed into dislike of many mid-eastern decsent peoples... (not sure if this was posted in other replys to this topic cause i didnt bother looking...sorry if it was)

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 07:38 PM
link   
i am in no way saying that all middle eastern people are terrorists...

MaskedAvatar---

you DO think in your head (even for a split second) when you see a middle eastern person (excuse my language) walking around...

everyone does it...

it is healthy (i think)...

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I can understand what your getting at. We are told we should become more aware of things going on around us in relation to terrorism, but when you look for suspicious behaviour who do you focus on? Probably Arabs, right? I guess it's a subliminal thing.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
i am in no way saying that all middle eastern people are terrorists...

MaskedAvatar---

you DO think in your head (even for a split second) when you see a middle eastern person (excuse my language) walking around...

Not at all, for any reason. That's allowing yourself to be conditioned.

I do look at images of George Bush and several of the individuals in the current gang, however, and see... unfit for leadership... dangerous... criminal... terrorist... In the case of these specific individuals known past behavior justifies such a conclusion fully.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

Not at all, for any reason. That's allowing yourself to be conditioned.

I do look at images of George Bush and several of the individuals in the current gang, however, and see... unfit for leadership... dangerous... criminal... terrorist... In the case of these specific individuals known past behavior justifies such a conclusion fully.

this is a form of being "influenced"...

would you agree???

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   
We must respect everyone's unique way of t3rr0rizing. White people have their own way. We usually prefer tactics that don't hurt. And I think if we put our minds to it we all can be better t3rr0ists in our own special way.

We should be thankful that there are people that want our money so bad they will go to great lengths to get it. Look at all the media we are provided. Some one has to care to do all that. It almost brings a tear to my eye.

If it wasn't for the media I might do something constuctive. And that can only lead to trouble.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Not really.

I know something about George W Bush in his past behavior and in his own statements that enables me to form conclusions.

I know nothing about the past behavior of a person from any region of the world whom I have not met, that enables me to form any conclusions at all.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Not really.

I know something about George W Bush in his past behavior and in his own statements that enables me to form conclusions.

I know nothing about the past behavior of a person from any region of the world whom I have not met, that enables me to form any conclusions at all.

that might be the case but:

are you really shure that you don't think (even for a split second) that the indian (sry for the language) at the deli is a terrorist...

if so, than you have a pretty strong mind that is not open to being "influenced"...

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   

are you really shure that you don't think (even for a split second) that the indian (sry for the language) at the deli is a terrorist...

if so, than you have a pretty strong mind that is not open to being "influenced"...

Not only do I not consider the Indian at the deli to be a terrorist even for a moment, but I wonder how you extend your "reluctant" stereotype from people that live in a particular region that includes Arabic and Hebrew speaking populations to a further one billion people who live on another subcontinent altogether.

I am momentarily so sorry for you, truly. Do you think your world view is typical of people who have been "influenced" by US media? Do you want to do something about that?

And don't forget, if this works both ways, there must be billions of people casting aspersions on you right now for being American. Do you want that?

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Sorry folk, I made a joke based on the apparent influence of media beatup of certain ethnic folk as terrorist. It was tongue in cheek, not serious, i was just highlighting that folk are influenced by such mass media overkill enough to atleast become suspicious of an ethnic minority, or indeed of any perceived "stereotype". For instance, anyone with lots of tattoos and a beard who rides a motorbike, becomes "a bikie", anyone who wears a black beanie becomes "a burgular" etc etc. If im wearing a suit and clean shaven, i can pass an elderly lady in the street and she wont notice me, but if i dont shave and wear street clothes, she will clutch her purse tightly to her and detour widely if I pass her.
I try not to allow such shallow thinking myself and judge folk I meet by behaviour, not appearance or stereotyping, and I think for myself.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
sterotyping is indeed an ugly aspect of humanity. i dont think the media generally plays into the racial aspect of it as much as the ideal aspect of islamic extremist views, and anti-americanism. they just pin them up as a dart board, let the global propaganda fire away, spun into a tightly knit talking points memo on the bill oreilly show.

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 03:21 AM
link   
what few people understand, is that there is nothing BUT media. a typical person is bombarded with thousands of words and images everyday, everywhere he/she looks. you have been programmed since birth by 'society' i put that in quotes, because it's an artificial society.
a real society is the ebb and flow of needs and fullfilments throughout a group of people.
our society is the forced ebb and flow of the needs and fullfilments of people. forced by conrol systems inside of control systems, which are all controlled by a handful of uber powerful men. they follow an age old blueprint for controlling the masses.
when you realise you've been SWIMMING in media for your whole life, then the question becomes not what ios being said, but rather, what is the mechanism that allows it to be said?

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by billybob
what few people understand, is that there is nothing BUT media. a typical person is bombarded with thousands of words and images everyday, everywhere he/she looks. you have been programmed since birth by 'society' i put that in quotes, because it's an artificial society.
a real society is the ebb and flow of needs and fullfilments throughout a group of people.
our society is the forced ebb and flow of the needs and fullfilments of people. forced by conrol systems inside of control systems, which are all controlled by a handful of uber powerful men. they follow an age old blueprint for controlling the masses.
when you realise you've been SWIMMING in media for your whole life, then the question becomes not what ios being said, but rather, what is the mechanism that allows it to be said?

good words...

you have a good point too...

posted on Nov, 30 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   

hello ATSers...

ok, i was working on this for a couple of minutes now so here it goes:

we are ALL "influenced" by the media...

in today's day, the media is telling us that the middle easterns are bad people (roughly am i correct???)...

now ever since 911, we ALL walk around and do our daily jobs and when we see a middle easterner or a brown skinned person (excuse my language), we say: "what if he is a terrorist, what if, what if..."

even if you are the nicest person around, i am shure (even for a split second) you are thinking: "what if he is a terrorist, what if, what if..."

try to not do it...

you can't!!!

how is this thread???

this thread really sucks, but only because the first post was lame. i don't walk around wondering about the people around me no matter what color skin they may have. of course the media influences people, it is there to serve the purpose of relaying the facts to the public, but they constantly put a bit of a ratings-influenced leftist spin on everything. they aren't telling you that arabs are bad people, although, that is what many ignorant fools have begun to believe. the media tells us that it is right to treat muslim extremists with skepticism. that is all. if you got anything else out of it, you are reading your own prejudices into it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join