It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why would the astronauts be offended by a hoax...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
...if they really went? Wouldn't it be funny to them? Why get angry if you really stepped foot on the moon and someone doesn't believe you?

Personally, this may be the most telling aspect of the production of Apollo IMO. It reminds me of that friend, everyone has, that embellishes or just flat out lies about EVERYTHING. If you question one of his/her fables - their first move is to act uspect you don't believe them which quickly turns to anger - and you even KNOW they're lying yet they continue this charade. I see some of these same examples when astronauts are called out, in public, without a NASA teleprompter there to help them.

Don't believe me? Watch this video - it basically has a man who believes the moon hoax 100%. He confronts astronauts to watch footage of what he believes are men in low earth orbit, faking being 130k miles out. As they realize the interviewer's intentions - watch what happens! Why would it cause some to get as angry as they became? He was polite. What would you, yourself do?

Disclaimer: Sibrel does go to the extreme and went too far with Aldrin. Nobody disputes this, not even Sibrel himself as he's gone on the record and stated such. This video does have some awkard sections, so be warned. Also, I wanted you to pay attention to his interviews and questions not when he's asking men to swear on a bible or cornering Aldrin. Pay attention to the astronaut's reactions - which come off as a guily-natured impulse to a rather polite interview.

If you haven't seen this: Enjoy!

www.youtube.com...
edit on 19-5-2014 by cestrup because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: cestrup
...if they really went? Wouldn't it be funny to them? Why get angry if you really stepped foot on the moon and someone doesn't believe you?

They're Americans. Arrogance is the Supreme Law of the Land here.

I found this to be great: "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Moon." Priceless. Good work Bart Sibrel.

Disclaimer: Sibrel does go to the extreme and went too far with Aldrin. Nobody disputes this, not even Sibrel himself as he's gone on the record and stated such.

I dispute that.

+22 more 
posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: cestrup

Or maybe because it's insulting to call someones life accomplishments which include them doing something only a few people in history could claim to have done to be false.

Imagine if you went up to Galileo or Newton and called them a liar and a fake to their face after everything they did and all they risked to help bring humanity into a new world. Do you think they might be just a bit offended????

+22 more 
posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
If you built your entire life around your career, worked your ass off for decades to accomplish something few other human beings ever have or will, and put your life on the line to do it, would you not be pissed if someone told you that you're a liar (and one goof even called buzz a coward, which he got decked for) and you never did any of it? I know I would be.

Bart Sibrel is a jerk and a moron, and deserves the responses he gets.
edit on 19-5-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

You're describing one incident in the movie with Aldrin where he gets socked - I tried to explain that this incident he did go over the line. I really wish I could have edited out this scene so we can discuss all the other material but I have a feeling the Aldrin altercation may derail. To answer your question: I would get upset if he wouldn't let me out of a door way, called me names, and all in front of my daughter. I would refrain to resort to violence but I would certainly be at the very least, annoyed.

He was much more polite in his other interviews. I wanted to focus on those and the reactions by the other astronauts.

+9 more 
posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
A polite interview? Really?

You understand that Sibrel called Aldrin a coward, liar and thief, right?
You don't think that is offensive?

edit on 5/19/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Well then you obviously didn't read my post. I wanted the focus to be off of that event. But screw it - let's all just talk about MY DISCLAIMER

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Not only are they calling them liars, they are trying to keep the meme going - the meme created by the lie - and take away the awe and wonder of thousands of young people that the human race, a few decades after learning how to fly, counted coup on the moon.

+9 more 
posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I wanted the focus to be off of that event.
Why? So that Sibrel would look like a victim?

Sibrel made (or tried to anyway) a career of lying about the Apollo landings. Yes, that is offensive to the astronauts as well as everyone else who was involved in the program.

+1 more 
posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

What would you, yourself do?

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Had I been there as an observer, I might've belted him myself.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

No. This would apply to almost anyone who's spent their life working toward something once thought beyond the ability of mankind. Achieving it and then continuously having other people say your life's accomplishments are all BS.

Think about it. If you did something great with your life, risked so much and did something unique amongst men only to have a bunch of idiots call you a fake and fraud out of ignorance over and over again, don't you think eventually you'd be a little pissed too???

Even if it's not something amazing but just above average??? Go and repeatedly tell Ali that he sucked at boxing. Go tell MLK his "Dream" was a bunch of crap. Go tell Frank Sinatra he couldn't carry a tune if his life depended on it. I don't think they'd find it funny.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Okay, well this post is about the reactions of the astronauts and you chose to focus on the one event, that I agree with you on. There are several other interviews where he's not doing any name-calling, yet the astronauts are. Even threatening to get the CIA to kill him. Watch the entire video - or just continue to focus on one event, where even Sibrel himself admitted his own guilt.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Here is the full video linked in the OP. Seibel is actually a very lucky man, as his passion guided him to meet and interview some of the greatest explorers in human history.

If you don't have time to watch it all, the first couple of minutes give the "crescendo" points where he got the astronauts angry enough to either curse him, punch him, or kick him. His mom must be proud.

edit on 19-5-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Well then you obviously didn't read my post. I wanted the focus to be off of that event. But screw it - let's all just talk about MY DISCLAIMER

The very fact that you wanted focus to be off that event, then you would have to concede that there are many other events and I would suggest that even you could not just laugh off nut jobs who stalk you and repeatedly call you a liar and a fraud.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
For goodness sake! that film maker is an idiot, and even his own docu actually confirmed that they went to the Moon, he was too stupid to realise it. He was also OTT and very loud in his insults to Aldrin in that incident, calling him a cheat and a liar. Do that to an American cop and see what happens...there would be twenty of them duffing his head, in as many seconds.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I disagree and so does "confidence". If it's so "silly" that people even begin to think that Apollo was a production - why would you defend it with anger? That doesn't add up.

Let's say you had a hole in one, but you were all by yourself when you did it. You told some people and someone says "I don't believe you." What would be your best reaction? To kick them out of your house? Sounds like you're trying to protect a lie rather than the truth.

Think about it. If you did something great with your life, risked so much and did something unique amongst men only to have a bunch of idiots call you a fake and fraud out of ignorance over and over again, don't you think eventually you'd be a little pissed too??? - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Do you have proof to this? Who are these idiots that pester the astronauts their entire lives? Enough so, that they resort to anger. As far as I know, Sibrels work is one of a kind. Are there others? It may add to this thread..

edit on 19-5-2014 by cestrup because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

There are several other interviews where he's not doing any name-calling, yet the astronauts are.

Sibrel's claims proceed him. The astronauts knew with whom they were dealing, someone who very publicly claimed they were liars. Sibrel is an ass in anyone's book.

The actions of a "reasonable man":

Court documents show he was arrested after another driver refused to pull out of a parking space he wanted. She was waiting for her car engine to warm up.

The arresting officer wrote, "A few moments later, the parking space in front of the victim opened up and [Sibrel] drove into it and parked."

Sibrel "then walked up to the victim's car and jumped onto the hood, and then jumped up and down several times."

www.newschannel5.com...

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Even if you ignore that event, Sibrel has hounded and stalked the astronauts, repeatedly called them liars and crooks and cheats and cowards, thrust Bibles in their face and generally been an all-round PITA. He was arrested for trespassing on Neil Armstrong's property. He got himself inside Ed Mitchell's house under false pretences and Mitchell actually had to physically kick him out.

Both Mitchell and Cernan have been confronted by the most persistent and annoying conspiracy theorist, Bart Sibrel, a Nashville man who created the 2001 documentary A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Moon, which aired on Fox. Sibrel spent years interviewing and sometimes ambushing astronauts, demanding that they confess to their role in the fraud or swear on the bible that they had truly touched the moon. At Sibrel's urging, Cernan put his hand on a bible and swore "under penalty of perjury, treason, and eternal damnation that I walked on the moon." Mitchell was less accommodating. He called Sibrel an asshole and kicked him out of his house.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Also from that article:

Sibrel, who now works as a cab driver, told the New York Times in 2009 that his crusade had left him financially ruined, barred from visiting his son, and expelled from churches. When I spoke with him by phone, Sibrel told me his pursuit was "a matter of justice ... it's a matter of being deceived by the government."

I would dispute that, given that Sibrel's video company, AFTH, LLC (that stands for "A Funny Thing Happened") has estimated revenues of $190,000 a year: www.manta.com...

Seems BS's BS is a nice little money spinner.

(post by cestrup removed for a manners violation)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

I would be pretty pissed - and hurt - if I as an old man was lead to believe that someone would like to talk about my proudest moment, that my moment of pride still mattered to someone ..only to be insulted and ridiculed by that same someone instead.

Believing it is a hoax or not, he would not get away with acting like that towards my dad!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join