It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas man faces life in prison for pot brownies

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I tried to post this in the Posse Comitatus forum but for some reason it would not let me so if belongs there mods please move.

A Texas man faces 5 years to life for making and selling pot brownies. He used hash oil in his recipe and the hash ingredient allows the state to use the sugar, cocoa, butter and other ingredients to determine the weight of the drugs.

If they did not include all that extra weight this would be a misdemeanor. The kid is 19 years old with a clean record so this is just stupid.

5 years to life for pot brownies??? You can drive about 600 miles north in the same country and but them legally and eat them right in front of a cop.

www.keyetv.com...

Lavoro's lawyer Jack Holmes agrees. "I was outraged. I've been doing this 22 years as a lawyer and I've got 10 years as a police officer and I've never seen anything like this before."

The former high school football player has a clean record. His charge is so severe because the recipe includes hash oil. The hash ingredient allows the state to use the sugar, cocoa, butter and other ingredients to determine the weight of the drugs.

"They've weighed baked goods in this case" laughed Holmes. "It ought to be a misdemeanor."

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I don't know if ATS will let this one go ... it's kinda got an illegal brownie lesson ... That being said .... legalize, regulate and tax!! I hope that's within T&C to say ...
edit on 5/19/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
There would be outrage, if this 19 year old gets 5 years to life, he'll get a year of probation, 2,000-3000 fine, and community service or a drug court type service, including urine analysis and probation officer. why put another kid in jail for messing around with hash, its not like its crack coc aine or herion. geeez

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Altered states of consciousnesses are not conducive to the smooth flow of the dollar driven machine and we can't have that now can we? The kid should have just drank beer and stupefied himself...He would then have been totally acceptable in the watchful eyes of the overlords!

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

ones entire life is a sesies of risk assesements - if you are knowingly breaking laws - don't whine when caught - you knew what could happen

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I think soft natural drugs must be legalized and taxed just like alcohol,pain relievers,tobacco,etc....Putting people in jail for using or selling/growing plants is like punishing people for having a beer or smoking a cigar....And a lot of people believe naturally planted herbs could cause way less damage to one's health than alcohol/tobacco or even sugar or potato chips.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
So, he goes to jail for a mind altering fiber filled laxative

Is there something better they could be doing with their time and MY tax dollars?

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

The fact of the matter is that what he was doing should never have been illegal to begin with. He could have been making jello #s and no one would have batted an eye but you make baked goods with a little hash oil? Its the big house for you little man. Does that not seem backwards?

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

ones entire life is a sesies of risk assesements - if you are knowingly breaking laws - don't whine when caught - you knew what could happen

That is placing upon the people who make laws a god-like reverence and authority, as if their will and word is objective moral right, and can only be broken by those who choose to do objective moral wrong.

The government may be your god, ignorant ape, but it is not mine, nor many others.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Too bad he isn't wealthy. Then he could just claim afluenza and get off with some rehab in a luxury rehab center for the rich and worthless. Be out in 6 months and well rested.

Our so called Justice System is a Joke and anyone not in the top 1% is the punchline!!!

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
The war on drugs removes another desperado from the streets. We can all feel safer, right?

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
So, he goes to jail for a mind altering fiber filled laxative

Is there something better they could be doing with their time and MY tax dollars?

Only marginally Slayer, they could be putting everyone who
disagrees with this on a list--- and the greatest injustice is
the ones making out the list belong on its top.

Edit: I'm beginning to believe in my old age the public safety
is turning into a bigger cash cow/control mech than the
interstate commerce clause. Wow has fairyland grown some
ogres or what...
edit on 19-5-2014 by derfreebie because: Caesar SAVE US! And protect us first fom YOU

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
In another news bulletin...

Absolutely no one from anywhere will visit Texas this year predicts everyone not from Texas

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
You arent allowed to thread/post in that forum. Read the rules and T's and C's. Regarding your thread here? It may be...(unfair as it may seem to us all)...that the issue isnt WHAT it was...but that NO MATTER WHAT it was...that regulation/law/rule was broken.

Whether or not that product should or shouldnt have been determined to be in violation...thats for another thread. I think its all about the violation...not the product.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

5 years to life for pot brownies??? You can drive about 600 miles north in the same country and but them legally and eat them right in front of a cop.

Yeah, but he didn't.

He broke the law very, very deliberately for the sake of turning a profit.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   
"Texas man faces life in prison for pot brownies"

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I can see where you're coming from. However, in this case, I would argue that in most people's risk assessment, they expect the subsequent consequences, if they are caught, to be on par with the crime. This is a reasonable expectation.

In this case, where this young man didn't even use the product proper but a derivative from a less potent cousin, an expectation of imprisonment of 5 years to life is completely out of the realm of what he could have reasonably anticipated.

"You do the crime, you do the time." Okay, fair enough, but exactly just what crime was committed here? Is it a crime that is actually, legitimately worth 5 years to life, or is this a situation where the police are, for whatever reason, choosing to manipulate the circumstances to go for a harsher penalty than is really warranted?

I'd personally like to know more about this situation. Is the department in hot water with a higher authority and needs a good conviction in this realm for some reason? Is this kid one with a lot of assets and they can use asset forfeiture to help an underfunded department? Is there something between him and the arresting officers or the DA, or some beef between this guy and one of their family members? Does this particular department have a history of harsh and possibly excessive treatment of drug offenders or just offenders in general? Is this kid just having the misfortune of being the one that they make an example out of?

There are a lot of reasons that this could be happening, but the one that I don't see is that the consequences actually fits the crime.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: DupontDeux
He broke the law very, very deliberately for the sake of turning a profit.

Exactly. In addition to breaking the law, he broke it stupidly. Yeah, the law. It exists. Don't like it? Get a bunch of people together and change it. Until then, follow it or go to jail. Smart people understand this.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
It does not sound like it was just him and his friends sitting around getting stoned on pot brownies. Was he selling them to people who had no clue what they would be taking?

If that is the case, then the sentence is still extreme but it makes more sense. People could get a surprise piss test and lose their jobs over a hash brownie, not too mention people not having a clue what the heck is going on.

Pot is not the worst drug, not even close but for someone who has never smoked it and has no clue what its effects are they would most likely have a terrible experience. Has oil is stronger than pot alone, could have been a real sucky hour or two if unsuspecting people took this.

He deserves to do some serious time if even one single person did not know what they were eating. Life though, ouch that is extreme. Let this be a case that other people learn from.

I'd change my tune if it everyone knew exactly what they were eating.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Let this be a case that other people learn from.

Yeah, just how insanely sick the justice system is and the people that run it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join