It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldiers' take on Godzilla

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I saw the movie..not bad at all.
Just interesting how far the movie makers of this film went to to get advice from the military on how they would handle a real situation.
If you have not seen this movie and want to don't read the link...it is a spoiler!
www.army.mil...

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: nighthawk1954

Just interesting how far the movie makers of this film went to to get advice from the military on how they would handle a real situation.

www.army.mil...

Interesting indeed.

The military will provide "helicopters" and "tanks" as long as they are allowed to "make changes" to the script.

The tail wags the dog.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I don't know, most of the soldiers got squished.
Not great for morale

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen
Like I said it was simi good.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

I haven't seen the movie yet, but when I watched the trailer I was thinking, "What the hell are they doing parking tanks and armored vehicles on a bridge that Godzilla could snap like a twig?"

I hate it that the DoD sends idiots to be advisors to Hollywood. But since they are obviously idiots, that means it's getting them out of somebodies hair.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

Disappointed in the film.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Along with the modern twists of the new Godzilla, the movie made fine tribute to the original movie. Godzilla's roar, his slipping into the mists,etc. In the post WWII era, the US military was seen as invincible. Most all the monster movies and alien movies of the time had the military standing up against forces beyond their ability to defeat.

Godzilla has passed the test of time and numerous sequels and remakes. This one was as fun for me as was the original when I saw it in the theater when I was eight. And it wouldn't have been a Godzilla movie without the army pitting their impotent weapons against him.
Let us never forget. " History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men. Oh oh Godzilla"

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I liked all Godzilla movies, yes, even that crappy one. It was different from the rest. I haven't seen this one yet so keep details on the down low

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Not to spoil it S, but when he stomps by, ohhh so close, you can smell his toe jam.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Well, I just seen it. And quite frankly, I'm disappointed. Godzilla doesn't show up til the third act, half the movie makes Godzilla feel like a sideshow, and the MUTO were very, very unoriginal. Oh my, look at those giant monsters tearing down buildings and eating soldiers! That's something we've never before encountered in any monster film of any variety!

But the biggest thing that got me was how Godzilla felt like it was only there to score bonus points on account of being Godzilla. You know, just in case the human cast didn't nail the plot. Once Godzilla 2 comes out, I'm just gonna chalk this one up to an introductory film, letting us know that, "Hey, this is the guy that stars in the sequel, so keep an eye out for him!" Like one giant trailer. The most exciting part of this movie was maybe 20 minutes out of an hour and a half of buildup. Like an hour and a half of foreplay and the rest goes by in a flash.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen
Not great for morale

Today is half price Tuesday so I went and saw it in IMAX on the biggest screen in town.

Wow!

I was impressed, both for the visuals and the deviousness of the metaphor it makes with Fukushima.

Every thing would have been okay if the Japanese owners had only listened to the American Nuclear Physicist, played by Brian Cranston and shut the reactors down in time. The same way Fukushima was TEPCO's fault, not Westinghouse.

Unfortunately GODzilla isn't going to come to our rescue and there is no happy ending in sight for the three meltdowns that continue to spew into the Pacific Ocean.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Saw it in 3D today and was very impressed with the production value....

However the script was so lame, wooden characters except for Brian Cranston, the only real actor in the whole cast.
The Director must have been drunk to let all the continuity glitches slide thru the whole movie.

But it was nonstop action and some of the most fantastic cgi I have ever seen.
3D made the stupid movie into an enjoyable film.

I never thought I'd say that btw....

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

"on location", "Living the Dream", "Production value".

What department are you in?

edit on -05:0059145292014-05-20T23:29:59-05:00 by Psynic because: I missed "Back to One". You're a 3rd A.D. , right?

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Psynic

SAG/AFTRA actor IATSE art dept

also a filmmaker of music videos, festival shorts, indy features, TV pilots, etc.

You??
edit on 21-5-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

SAG/AFTRA actor IATSE art dept

also a filmmaker of music videos, festival shorts, indy features, TV pilots, etc.

You??

Props and Sets for 40 years

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Not a soldier myself, just grew up around the military (military brat).

Things I had a hard time with:

Why was a HALO jump needed? Really wasn't....and that certainly was NOT HALO gear.....

Majority of military vehicles are EMP-hardened...they wouldn't just stop or fall out of the sky from an EMP attack.

Why the hell would they get up close, when you could fire some tactical missiles from a mile away? (and a LOT of them)

What idiot is going to assume small arms fire even has a chance with something like that?

Granted, it's a movie, but man, would be nice to see some actual tactics for a change....

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok
Not a soldier myself, just grew up around the military (military brat).

Things I had a hard time with:

Why was a HALO jump needed? Really wasn't....and that certainly was NOT HALO gear.....

Majority of military vehicles are EMP-hardened...they wouldn't just stop or fall out of the sky from an EMP attack.

Why the hell would they get up close, when you could fire some tactical missiles from a mile away? (and a LOT of them)

What idiot is going to assume small arms fire even has a chance with something like that?

Granted, it's a movie, but man, would be nice to see some actual tactics for a change....

But you had no problem with the gears and chains on the 'steam punk' nuclear detonator?

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

But you had no problem with the gears and chains on the 'steam punk' nuclear detonator? - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

And how it PERFECTLY fit into a modern nuke?

Sure, like I have no problem that we can barely get Macs to talk with PCs, yet in Independence Day, Jeff Goldblum was able to fully integrate his laptop with an ALIEN computer system with no problem whatsoever.... LOL

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: dashen
Not great for morale

Actually "morale" is exactly what the Pentagon had in mind when they wrote this treatment of GODzilla.

Plot point by plot point, this GODzilla movie is based on the events currently happening in Japan.

This is a classic psyop propaganda piece and the message your supposed to take away is Fukushima is a joke.

The reality is, when the MIC decides to engage with any particular issue it's not because of it's comic value.

The biggest lie in the movie is that there's going to be a happy ending to the three active meltdowns at Fukushima Daiichi and that America, as the good guys, not only aren't responsible, but have GOD(zilla) on their side.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

The biggest lie in the movie is that there's going to be a happy ending to the three active meltdowns at Fukushima Daiichi and that America, as the good guys, not only aren't responsible, but have GOD(zilla) on their side.

Interesting assessment of the movie. I usually just look at film as a commercial enterprise but I'm certainly not discounting it being used as propaganda. It's certainly happened before!

new topics

top topics

join