It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An eloquent rant on the darker side of the Internet era...from before the Internet era!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 05:30 AM
link   
The clip below is from the masterful 1988 movie Talk Radio, which follows the inner and outer travails of an outspoken, edgy talk radio host on his way up. What strikes me watching this 26 years later is how clearly it captures some of the darker aspects of the Internet, the "alternative media," social media, and the conspiracy world.

This was probably not meant to be prophetic...but it really is. Written at a time when the Internet was the province of a few geeks and academic types, it was meant to skewer the world of talk radio. Yet rarely have I seen a piece this powerul that captures the essense of the narcissism, pathology, and yes -- lonliness -- of "being connected."

In the clip he speaks as an individual DJ addressing an audience...but ask yourself this: Aren't these the kinds of feelings and frustrations that every man and woman on the Internet or social networks feels now (at least some of the time and to some extent)? We've gone beyond talk radio...in our age everyone is his own DJ.

Worth your time, IMHO. Raises all sorts of interesting questions about the world we have made and are making for ourselves.

"...You're on me every night like a pack of wolves because you can't stand facing what you are and what you've made! Yes, the world is a terrible place. Yes, cancer and garbage disposals will get you. Yes, a war is coming. Yes, the world is shot to hell and you're all goners. Everything's screwed up and you like it that way don't you? You're fascinated by the gory details. You're mesmerized by your own fear. You revel in floods and car accidents, unstoppable diseases. You're happiest when others are in pain. That's where I come in, isn't it?..."

edit on 19-5-2014 by Never Despise because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Never Despise

Blocked here in the US on"Copyright Grounds".

My ass. Must have to much truth dressing on it.

Friggin censors.

EDIT: Here we go…

Link
edit on 19-5-2014 by intrptr because: link

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Blocked here in the US on"Copyright Grounds".

My ass. Must have to much truth dressing on it.

Friggin censors.

EDIT: Here we go…

Link

No way! Arrrgh!

Do a youtube search for "Talk radio rant" (without quotes) and see if you can get a "local" version...

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
This was a fantastic topic the OP brought up

Thank you to intrptr for getting a link to the video!

I remember watching this movie awhile back and finding "the rant" moving.

To Never Despise, To bad this topic didn't get more attention. Your OP was top notch ATS material

top topics

join