It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney calls for NH police commissioner to apologize, resign for Obama slur

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: skalla
a reply to: FairAndBalanced

and what is the typical come-uppance for that, getting you a sammich?

A m[y]ssage'll do.....must U leave yourself so wide open?

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: phinubian
a reply to: Krazysh0t
Unfortunately if he were just any individual, holding this belief, hurling racial epithets would be ok by your standard, and of course he has every right to say what he thinks, but what this is going to come down to is, he is a police commissioner, someone that is view as having some public trust, possibly not supposed to show bias, but he has revealed by his own words it would be hard for someone to see anything good of what came out of his mouth and it really reveals his insensitivity to people of color, so can someone shut those feelings on and off, no I do not think.

The line would be blurred on any judgement call this buffoon would have to make in his line of work as a police commissioner, concerning that type of language in a government workplace and having to enforce policies against it, he let all of the people down he works for when this came out, his credibility in matters concerning these issues, have been greatly diminished especially if he would have to make judgements about it, for him not apologizing it really reveals that he has no time for sensitivity to others and more importantly he let everyone know what is really on his mind.

If you do not know how to discretely use free speech there is a chance it might be used against you on some other level if it were seen as divisive, offensive or racist and your line of work and livelihood is made possible by all people that pay their taxes, white or black, I think there should be some say in that regard and he should have enough sense to realize the position he is now in and simply step down than attempt to defend this language especially if he has blacks and other people of color who are his subordinates, what kind of example is that ?

Fine, maybe his actions need further investigation. Investigate his police activities and look for any racially motivated preferences. For all you know this man could be a shining star police commissioner in his town who may have just said a racial joke to a friend at lunch for a laugh. The only thing this man saying the N-word makes me think, is that maybe his racial opinions warrant further investigation. But as it stands we are trying to throw the baby out with the bathwater here and jumping down this man's throat without a proper look into his actions.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Thanks for your attempt to clear that up, but it appears in none of the sources posted on the two threads present on ATS, and as i stated earlier it absolutely does not appear in the TV news source that you posted in your own thread - we all dislike dis-info and wish for accurate information so i'm sure you can appreciate why i would question this.

As to it being beaten like a dead horse, many issues here receive that treatment and if it bothers you so much then "certain people" should maybe avoid starting threads on issues that are clearly seen as contentious in some way and should also be more accurate in their sources or the reporting of them.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

What we don't know here is the context.

Does anyone know the topic of those guys conversation? I certainly don't.

Context is, as they say, more than everything...it's the only thing.

I don't like the word. It has connotations that go back to evil times, and usually reflect thought patterns that should have no place in our world.

Another question...

Does his refusal to apologize reflect his true thought on race? Or his thoughts on kowtowing to PC'ness?

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: skalla
"certain people"

My use of the term 'certain people' wasn't directed at you.

should maybe avoid starting threads on issues that are clearly seen as contentious in some way

If people would just stick to the topic instead of calling each other ignorant names ... and stop insinuating things about others ... and instead just discuss facts like grown ups ... then it wouldn't be a problem.

and should also be more accurate in their sources or the reporting of them.

At the time of the writing the TV news was reporting 'waitress resident was a witness'. So it was accurate reporting back here that it was said. What was said in the news was reported to ATS as it was said. The written article just said 'witness'. The TV news only covered this for a short time so it's not still being reported.

Whatever. It's an old story and moving on ....

edit on 5/19/2014 by FlyersFan because: fixed words

(post by skalla removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

A social relapse is saying a word by accident, this guy admitted saying the word because the president fit his criteria of what that word meant.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

You're right. I stand corrected. He seems to be an asshat...

But...

Should this end a career? I've no idea whether this guy is good at his job, or if he's a political hack who got it through being a talented asskisser... No clue.

Still needs some context, IMHO.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
He didn't shout, he was speaking to someone at a restaurant which was overheard by the waitress. Get your facts straight.

LOL How ironic!
Show me a source that says this was a waitress.
Show me a source that says he said it quietly.

Source

Robert Copeland, a member of the police commission in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, exclaimed loudly that he hated watching TV because every time he turns it on, he sees "that f****** n*****." An appalled witness, who didn't know who Copeland was at the time, asked if he was just "throwing the n-word around," and he responded, "Yeah."

She was a witness, a town resident. Nowhere does it say she was a waitress. He also wasn't just having a conversation. He exclaimed loudly.

Free speech means there are NO repercussions...

NO IT DOESN'T ! You are cracking me up here! You clearly don't know what free speech even means.

How did you get that from what I said? I don't have a problem with the people complaining about his use of wordage. That is their right, I just question their reasoning for complaining.

You talk of a "public lynching" etc. There has been no such thing. People have responded with WORDS, that's it. He said words - They said words. You're defending HIS right, but decrying theirs.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

At the time of the writing the TV news was reporting 'waitress resident was a witness'.

What difference does the occupation of the witness make, if that's even correct? She clearly was a patron at the time, no matter what kind of work she does.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

It shouldn't make any difference.

a reply to: seagull

Should elected officials be held accountable for admitted racist remarks in a public place?

Do public officials have more rights than ordinary citizens?

Why does this guy have the right to free speech but the witness doesn't?

Why are so many here on ATS defending a admitted racist?

Do you really think he shouldn't resign?

edit on 19-5-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: phinubian

Yes words are loaded with meaning but diffrent people attach diffrent meanings to diffrent words, for example here in the UK if you call someone a "paki" it is incredibly offensive racial slur, yet in a lot of other countries it isn't. There are still plenty of people who for a variety of reasons such as social/family influence for an example don't see words like this as truly offensive. While someone who uses a racial slur clearly shows either ignorance or lack of empathy that isn't always a guarantee of racism, just poor judgment.

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Let me guess, you watched the version where when Romney said Russia was our greatest geo-political foe you thought he was stuck in cold war era thinking because Russia is friendly now right?

Oh oh oh, and you saw the election where Obama said Benghazi was a terrorist attack since day 1.

Yeah .. you definitely saw something different than me. Then again people tend to see what they want to be true, not what is true.

Lol, sounds like you think I'm a progressive.

To be honest though if you like Romney I can't understand why you don't like Obama, their policies were pretty much the same, although they did have a slightly diffrent flavour of rhetoric.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
CNN is reporting that the commissioner has just resigned

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

Should elected officials be held accountable for admitted racist remarks in a public place?

I suppose they should. However, if it's the only time he's ever said anything in public? Do his actions, job performance, reflect a bias towards race? If so, of course. Straw that broke the camels back, as it were. If not, he certainly shouldn't lose his job over a onetime incident. Context. As I've said a time or four before now.

Why does this guy have the right to free speech but the witness doesn't?

Who said she doesn't? I certainly haven't. He's also got rights. Doesn't he?

Why are so many here on ATS defending a admitted racist?

Does one event equate to racist? I don't know anything about the man. What do you know, aside from this one event? Does it reflect well on him? No, not in the slightest does it reflect well on him, quite the contrary. Are there other things in his life that say "racist"?

Not defending him, really. If he is a bigot, he's got to go. No argument from me. I'll kick him in the ass on the way out the door. But is he? Who knows?

Do you really think he shouldn't resign?

Assuming he's a bigot in truth, rather than in perception? Of course he should. He should be fired.
If he's not, and this is a one off event? Maybe even then, but I'd have to look into his eyes, talk to him, before I'd make that judgement...

I can't make that decision based on hearsay. Nor should anyone.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

He didn't shout, he was speaking to someone at a restaurant which was overheard by the waitress. Get your facts straight.

LOL How ironic!
Show me a source that says this was a waitress.
Show me a source that says he said it quietly.

Source

Robert Copeland, a member of the police commission in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire, exclaimed loudly that he hated watching TV because every time he turns it on, he sees "that f****** n*****." An appalled witness, who didn't know who Copeland was at the time, asked if he was just "throwing the n-word around," and he responded, "Yeah."

She was a witness, a town resident. Nowhere does it say she was a waitress. He also wasn't just having a conversation. He exclaimed loudly.

Fine, she was a witness. That makes it even less her business. By the way, the term "loudly" can be subjective. Loudly in this case could have just been him talking over the crowd, maybe with a slightly elevated volume, but somehow I doubt that he was shouting.

Free speech means there are NO repercussions...

NO IT DOESN'T ! You are cracking me up here! You clearly don't know what free speech even means.

Yes I do know what free speech means. It means you can say what you want without reprisal. Hence the term "free". I also know what the 1st amendment says as well. I'm not sure why you are treating me like a buffoon here. I'm just trying to have a rational discussion yet you seem to be getting emotional about the discussion.

How did you get that from what I said? I don't have a problem with the people complaining about his use of wordage. That is their right, I just question their reasoning for complaining.

You talk of a "public lynching" etc. There has been no such thing. People have responded with WORDS, that's it. He said words - They said words. You're defending HIS right, but decrying theirs.

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Read this very slowly. I. DON'T. HAVE. A. PROBLEM. WITH. THE. PUBLIC. ASKING. HIM. TO. RESIGN.

All -I- want is for people to consider what they are asking for before they demand his resignation. You know, consider your actions before you let emotions get the better of you? Is the consequence worth the infraction? I mean wouldn't it make more sense to demand a background investigation into him to see if he has hidden more racism from view? If he was a true racist, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find. Yet you are getting angry with me because I'm just asking for everyone to be sensible about their demands (and again, I'm not telling them they cannot demand his resignation). I just want more information before I join the public mob in condemning this man. Seeing as how angry you get about this (as well as you misinterpreting my words), apparently that is just too tall of an order.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
If free speech is without reprisal, can someone call my lovely better half a slag without me kicking their teeth in? Or perhaps yours? How about our blessed mothers?

Hell no, free speech aint so simple.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Loudly in this case could have just been him talking over the crowd, maybe with a slightly elevated volume, but somehow I doubt that he was shouting.

Fair enough. If it was loud enough for other patrons to hear him, it's no longer private.

Yes I do know what free speech means. It means you can say what you want without reprisal. Hence the term "free". I also know what the 1st amendment says as well. I'm not sure why you are treating me like a buffoon here. I'm just trying to have a rational discussion yet you seem to be getting emotional about the discussion.

I apologize if I seem emotional. I have heard so many people say that his first amendment free speech rights have been infringed (in so many words) that I have become frustrated to hear it and that's coming across in my posts. Sorry about that.

There is no such thing as a legal right to free speech without consequences. I cannot say whatever I want in public and be protected from people giving their opinion about it, calling my boss or taking some other action against me.

Yet you are getting angry with me because I'm just asking for everyone to be sensible about their demands (and again, I'm not telling them they cannot demand his resignation). I just want more information before I join the public mob in condemning this man.

I swear to you I'm not angry at all. I am harsh and I know I come across that way sometimes. I will be more careful. Thanks for pointing it out. Also, I'm not condemning him, myself. It's none of my business if he resigns or not. It's up to the town.

Copeland Reportedly Resigns

Ms. O'Toole's comments start at 14:30 on the video. Some excellent comments by the townspeople follow her. The more I hear, the more I support the people.

edit on 5/19/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Fair enough. All I really want is for people to exercise some restraint before gnashing their teeth and kicking him out of office. A public outing of being called a racist destroys lives; prevents future employment; ostracizes you from your family, friends, and community; and generally makes things difficult for you. The word carries SO much weight behind it, we should make sure we use it correctly before labeling someone as such.

Watch that episode of South Park where Randy Marsh gets outed as a racist. I just don't want to see a hard working person's life destroyed because of some stupid gaff he may have made. I'm all for further investigation into his actions while on the force though. If he's really a racist it should be hard to cover up racist profiling that he may have warranted or participated in.

I guess that he is resigning, so the story can be over.
edit on 19-5-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I support Ms. O'Toole's comments wholeheartedly and am in agreement that this scumbag needed to go.

We can't have elected officials with this old way of thinking. Let's move on as a society, shall we?

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Watch that episode of South Park where Randy Marsh gets outed as a racist.

I've seen it. Uttering the word is not the same as CALLING someone that, complete with expletive. Yes, Randy Marsh was wrongfully criticized, but that's not the case with Copeland.
edit on 5/19/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join