It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Single mom thanked Obama for her $169/mo insurance -- But...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
This doesn't surprise me at all and I'm sure she won't be the only one being shocked by a large repayment of overpaid subsidies come tax time next year.

Regarding the ACA as a whole, this whole mess could have been avoided and things simplified by just doing a couple of things;

-limit lawsuit amounts to reduce liability ins. costs.
-limit the markup on pharmaceuticals. (5% above cost)
-limit profit margins on health care supply companies, hospitals and physicians can charge. (5% over cost)
-disconnect our health ins. policies from our employers to allow competition, and better rates.
-offer Medicaid buy-in policies for the following - those who have been denied or are only offered unaffordable ins. policies, the elderly, disabled and those who can't get affordable policies elsewhere.
-add an emergency fund for cases where a private ins. policy can be supplemented by Medicaid during medical crisis's that exceed a certain percentage of income. (to cover those horrid deductibles for low-income families)

These are just some of my ideas that I believe would reduce costs, offer a fail-safe for those who fall through the cracks and utilize systems already in place.

Besides, there have been so many good ideas out there, so many ways we could have tackled this situation and the one we ended up with is this mess. Why, because Obama wanted his healthcare reform regardless of the cost to our economy, healthcare system or the lives of the people he is supposed to be looking out for.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: HanzHenry

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe

She has found out (like the rest of us) that Obamacare is not as affordable as promised.

Of course, it was written BY the insurance companies. The industry that profits off of something gets to design the program that becomes law? W T F ?

healthcare companies are first place
in the SCUMBAG category.. I mean profiting off of people sick/injured/dying?

Can NOT possibly be a bigger pile of excrement than that pretty much.

how about you and I start a widget company, then have the govt come to us to write the program and laws about mandatory widget buying by every citizen?

Healthcare being for profit designed by those who will profit is of course ridiculous..there are other models that function fairly well.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: lynn112
This doesn't surprise me at all and I'm sure she won't be the only one being shocked by a large repayment of overpaid subsidies come tax time next year.

Regarding the ACA as a whole, this whole mess could have been avoided and things simplified by just doing a couple of things;

-limit lawsuit amounts to reduce liability ins. costs.
-limit the markup on pharmaceuticals. (5% above cost)
-limit profit margins on health care supply companies, hospitals and physicians can charge. (5% over cost)
-disconnect our health ins. policies from our employers to allow competition, and better rates.
-offer Medicaid buy-in policies for the following - those who have been denied or are only offered unaffordable ins. policies, the elderly, disabled and those who can't get affordable policies elsewhere.
-add an emergency fund for cases where a private ins. policy can be supplemented by Medicaid during medical crisis's that exceed a certain percentage of income. (to cover those horrid deductibles for low-income families)

These are just some of my ideas that I believe would reduce costs, offer a fail-safe for those who fall through the cracks and utilize systems already in place.

Many of these are good ideas, and there are yet-others - thing is, I'm pretty sure if we could wave a wand and reduce the fraud/waste in Medicaid and Medicare, we could likely have afforded Medicaid for any that wanted it, with no other changes.

The problem with these programs is there's so little oversight, so little enforcement - I hear things like how insurance companies routinely audit pharmacies and medical suppliers, while the government never does that, and how utilization review is non-existent among government insurance programs, which allowing unscrupulous doctors to bill Medicare/Medicaid for procedures that were never performed. Estimates vary wildly; but fraud takes between 20 and 50% of government spending on these programs. Since we're spending nearly a trillion dollars for Medicare/Medicaid/CHIP, we're talking between $200B and $500B a year wasted - we could easily cover another 50m americans without spending a dime more with some proper controls.

The usual government solution to waste is just to throw *more* money at it to paper over the gaps - this cannot continue to work. They have to make the system more efficient - that means, getting their own house in order, and not continuing to point fingers at private enterprise.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: squittles

You are absolutely right. Fraud does need to be addressed in our Medicaid program, millions are lost to fraud in NY state alone, I can only imagine it's billions nationwide. Thing is, I don't think it ever will be truly addressed, to much bureaucracy, to little oversight and lack of concern because it's our money they are flushing away.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Keep posting this propaganda, you sneaky fox...

here is a hard fact: my insurance went down by $60 a month. You want cheaper rates? Here is a hint....go get a "well visit" (i.e., go get a physical). My insurance company appreciates those who "prove" they are not a health risk. In fact, they paid for the entire thing OUT OF THEIR POCKET....not only do they pay for it, but they lowered my rates. so whine on tough guy...whine on.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
At one point, out of curiosity, I went to the "health care" site to see what my premiums would be. At that time, I made below the minimum & would supposedly be given a "discount" but when everything was calculated my monthly premium, for just me, was over $260 a month. Through my new employer I pay less than $40 a month for medical, dental & vision. Yep, our gov't is sure looking out for us!

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Health care in America sucks for the poor and sick, that's the bottom line.
Nice if you are healthy 25 year old and prove it with a medical checkup, but if you are old or have some disease you are hooped.

My health care is 70 bucks a month everything covered and my nice employeer pays that for me

So my health care costs are zip use them or not

I don't live in in America, and I am glad.
edit on 20-5-2014 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: SearchLightsInc

It pains me to admit it, but you're absolutely right. We are screwing ourselves.

Most people do not remember history. When Social Security was first implemented, it was a hot mess for the first few years.

We need to give the AHA a chance to get the kinks worked out.

We Americans are way too impatient.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
I also want to be clear that the experience of one person is meaningless. There will be winners and losers, the overall outcome is what matters.

As a health insurance broker who works with hundreds of individuals and families ranging from poor to wealthy, it's becoming clearer by the week that ObamaCare is hurting more people than it's helping.

Those who felt good about receiving a subsidy to help pay their premium are now finding that their 2014 raise, or cost of living adjustment at work will trigger a substantial subsidy repayment to the IRS when 2014 taxes are filed. As the economy improves, more subsidy recipients are being moved to the "repayment/clawback" side of the scale.

Premiums for all ObamaCare plans will be increasing by 9% to 85% effective on 1/1/2015, depending on what state they reside. By law, insurance companies must inform customers of their increase no later than October 1, 2014. Right before the mid-term elections.

Also in October, MILLIONS of employees will be informed of huge increases in the cost of their medical insurance at work, or learning that it's being canceled all-together, because the ObamaCare Employer Mandate goes into effect on 1/1/2015. This will make the last wave of policy cancellations and price hikes insignificant by comparison. As expected, several Democrats in the House/Senate are pushing to have the Employer Mandate delayed by another year. They may be successful if the Republicans continue losing their appetite for fighting against ObamaCare.
-cwm

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Ok so what happens is you put down the income you think you will show on next years taxes. That's what your premiums are based on, and what you're subsidies are figured on, if applicable. A prediction - fortune telling, gambling, seeing the future, however one wants to put it - if you get subsidies your playing a guessing game and may see a vey big bill the following tax year. Two IRS agents told me if your income is different than what you have projected (say you get lots of overtime or more or less work), you will be back charged the difference, and it will simply be charged as a tax due to the IRS.

Where I'm going with this - this woman now finds out it is really 621 a month. She has been using it and someone has to pay that premium. She knew she was gambling but because it's their mistake will she have to pay? Will it come to her via an additional tax in 2015?

It's a suspicious situation all the way around - strangest federal law/tax change in memory for me.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Misinformation

I am not wanting to go off topic, but at the end of this video, what is up with the guy in the background?

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
From the LA Times -

www.latimes.com...=1

The Obama administration has quietly adjusted key provisions of its signature healthcare law to potentially make billions of additional taxpayer dollars available to the insurance industry if companies providing coverage through the Affordable Care Act lose money.

The move was buried in hundreds of pages of new regulations issued late last week. It comes as part of an intensive administration effort to hold down premium increases for next year, a top priority for the White House as the rates will be announced ahead of this fall's congressional elections.

So, basically, if I understand it correctly, this move allows HHS to move money around from other appropriated programs to supplement the risk corridor payment program, and there's a suggestion in the article that "If the insurers play ball with the administration, and hold the line of premium increases this year, then they'll get paid; but if they embarrass the administration with too large of premium increases, they won't."

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
What.. the woman makes 50 grand a year and she's got a problem with this? Thats absurd.. she deserves NOTHING.

That said she's stupid for applying for Satan care to begin with. Don't Take The mark of the Beast!

ADHD is Very easily treatable with Guarrana a very cheap over the counter herb thats more effective than all the prescription drugs put together.. its been studied for ADHD since the early 80's. Her son dont need those meds at all so there is no reason she should have coverage for this.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: squittles

Yup.

It's blackmail pure and simple.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen
It seems to me they willl do ANYTHING to get their way.Its unbelievable yet there it is. How do these people afford to live? How do they afford nessecities..food.
How is it we teach the 'warning' signs of people with obvious control issues in day to day life,yet when there is "control issues' from govts we are to accept it?

<< 1  2   >>

join