It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Balkans Threatened by Historic Floods

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Dare I say it...? Climate Change....! If what scientists are sounding the horn about is true then we are in for some tough times. Here is just another example of how things are going awry with nature pertaining to climate as there is major flooding in the Balkans. Things are going to get worse before they get better.

Floodwaters triggered more than 3,000 landslides across the Balkans on Sunday, laying waste to entire towns and villages and disturbing land mines leftover from the region's 1990s war, along with warning signs that marked the unexploded weapons.

The Balkans' worst flooding since record keeping began forced tens of thousands of people from their homes and threatened to inundate Serbia's main power plant, which supplies electricity to a third of the country and most of the capital, Belgrade.

In searching about flooding, I found this link: FEMA Launches Campaign To Prepare Americans For Natural Disasters

www.redorbit.com...

It's already too late to stop the danger(s) attributed to Climate Change so now we have to adjust. There will be less food and clean water, and more viruses/ bacteria so maybe I'll start there with items to stock up.

What says ATS?

www.nbcnews.com...

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I've had about enough of the 'global warming', 'climate change', and the brand new 'climate chaos'. The fact of the matter is that every planet in the solar system is being affected by whatever is going on. The Sun is showing effects. The Earth. The whole bloody plan is to convince everyone that they're carbon footprint is too big, depopulation is essential! (we have robots that can do most jobs now, really).

Al Gore and Bill Clinton both invested tremendously in "green stocks" in the 6 months leading up to the release of Gore's, since thoroughly debunked, "an inconvienient truth". In the ensuing panic, Gore and Clinton made Million after million after million once their new 'green' companies were coincidently getting the contract.

This is all before all the Lehman Bros, AIG, Enron, too big to fail, bend over and grab your ankles of 07-08, keep in mind.

No less a Ponzi scheme. Obama wrote, what, 2 before he even got elected? On sale, the day the announcement was made, along with all his collector coin roalties. Cant you people see, our world is run by Gargameld. Insatiable lust for money and power have made the top 1% richer than all the rest of us three times over.

Our world is screwed because our leaders are criminals. We have NO TERM LIMITS FOR THESE PRICKS! What did you think was going to happen? Power should never be given to them that desire it......

We need reluctant heroes. George Washington was one such. We need Ron Paul, Ben Carson, Rand Paul. If we could have a Prez and V.P. out of two of those three, I promise they will be either killed immediately by the CIA/NSA/DIA/FBI, etc., or they will be the best thing that has happened to this country since Andy Jackson....

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I love how you started the thread of with your smirky climate change remarks. I guess you trying to prove your point takes precedent over the actual event.

I really feel for these people. I hope that is subsides soon.

With that being said,

Natural disasters have always happened and always will. Nothing will change this.

It just sucks that now when ever a natural disaster strikes, we are going to get the whole "climate change, I told you so" reaction.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: liejunkie01
I love how you started the thread of with your smirky climate change remarks. I guess you trying to prove your point takes precedent over the actual event.

I really feel for these people. I hope that is subsides soon.

With that being said,

Natural disasters have always happened and always will. Nothing will change this.

It just sucks that now when ever a natural disaster strikes, we are going to get the whole "climate change, I told you so" reaction.

I started the way I did to make light of the situation. I hope it subsides too but I'm not gonna sit here and tell myself "the climate always changes..." and do nothing. There's more water now and whenever there is any kind of large storm, there's a flood. There is a lot of major flooding worldwide.

I also posted a link in the Op showing where FEMA has launched a campaign that's all about preparing Americans for natural disasters.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
And lets not forget,

Massive Flood Overflows Mecca
Published on May 11, 2014

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
3 months worth of rainfall in 3 days.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
3 months worth of rainfall in 3 days.

Where?

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

The Balkans.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

The Balkans.

Yes, that's right. These violent downpours were predicted by climate scientists years ago and it's happening now.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Meh nvm.
edit on 5/19/2014 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

that's a hell of a lot of rain in a short time...wasn't there a power plant about to be flooded and there was more rain coming??

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: research100

Yeah I forget how many people are now without power but it was a pretty big number. Another huge problem, the floods have washed away the mounds of dirt used to cover live landmines leftover from the war in the 90's. This flood is affecting millions of people, entire cities are submerged.

During the last week, countries in the Balkans have experienced extremely heavy rain - the amount of rainfall expected over the period of three months, fell on the region in only three days, bringing about catastrophic floods. The rain has stopped, but the force of water has caused horrific destruction. Bosnia and Serbia have declared a state of emergency, and flooding has in recent days also reached eastern parts of Croatia. Entire cities are submerged. The map of the flooding shows that large parts of Serbia and a third of Bosnia and Herzegovina are under water; a territory larger than Slovenia is currently flooded. In Bosnia and Herzegovina, more than a million people live in the affected areas.

Consequences of the floods

The floods have caused not only infrastructural destruction. Tens of thousands of people have been displaced across the region. Al Jazeera Balkans has reported that over 16.000 people have been evacuated in Serbia, 10,000 in the Bosnian town of Bijeljina alone, and hundreds in Croatia. The number of victims has still not been released. As the water recedes, it is expected that more bodies will be found and the death toll will rise.

The rains have brought not only flooding, but also landslides. The poorest are often the ones who are hit the hardest during natural disasters, and this one was no different. It is heart-breaking to see that the people who have been rebuilding their houses after the war have now lost everything again. Entire villages in Bosnia have been buried due to landslides and there is nothing but the rooftops emerging from the ground to testify that these places were once inhabited. More than 200 active landslides have been identified in the eastern part of Bosnia.

The water has also inundated minefields in Bosnia, a remnant from the 1992-1995 war. The unexploded devices are likely to become a problem during the clean-up. Economic losses and health consequences are also a concern. Thousands of hectares of agricultural land in Bosnia and Serbia have been flooded, which will have an imminent impact on food distribution and prices this year. In the future, recovery of agriculture in these areas will likely be a challenge, as the soil has been contaminated by the flood water. The disaster is also expected to have epidemiological consequences, due to the shortage of clean drinking water and medicines.

aljazeera.com

new topics

top topics

join