It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Matter will be created from light within a year, claim scientists

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiM3LoRd

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

Now when it comes to this stuff I am pretty ignorant, but wow if true and they can advance this technology I can already envision a matter making machine hooked to a 3-d printer.

Im pretty sure a matter making machine IS a 3D printer but I get what you mean.

Im thinking more holodeck and replicator technology

Nope... Replicators don't work this way.

Replicators are in essence transmuting re-sequencing machines... They take an equal amount of inert-matter in mass and re-sequence at the molecular scale based upon a database of template patterns.

The replicator is not converting energy into matter.

Peace,

Korg.

P.S. This is why I love Star Trek.... 90% of it is Scientifically plausible.

edit on 19-5-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
a reply to: Biigs

Turning matter into light is a simple process other way a bit more difficult. But its already been done at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center in California. Years ago just takes alot of energy. As for nuclear explosion you take matter and get light and heat. Rather ineficient though since were only converting about a 5 percent of the total energy.

During a nuclear explosion (or controlled nuclear reaction in a power station), there is a slight change of mass between the original heavy metal atom that underwent fission and the resulting lighter end products. This is the mass value that goes into E=mc^2. The difference in mass became pure energy, so it's like the bonds between the nucleii sub-atomic particles are storing mass.

It is possible to get a couple of sub-atomic particles when a gamma-ray photon disintegrates into an electron and positron. I'd imagine if they were able to place a source in a collider ring, they could use a strong magnetic field to keep the two groups of particle separate and recombine them when they wanted.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
S&F!

So within 1 light year = 9.4605284 × 10^15 meters, 2 light beams with the same extremely high frequency will be made to cross each other in phase and the resulting peak of the photonic waves will suddenly hook up to the Higgs field and a positron or electron will have emerged and become realized!

That concept has quite some gravita to it!

Amazing!

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: DietJoke
S&F!

So within 1 light year = 9.4605284 × 10^15 meters, 2 light beams with the same extremely high frequency will be made to cross each other in phase and the resulting peak of the photonic waves will suddenly hook up to the Higgs field and a positron or electron will have emerged and become realized!

That concept has quite some gravita to it!

Amazing!

Yep! you got it!

Well done!

Korg.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

This sounds like "conversion" rather than "creation" to me.

A big point if one considers how much energy will be wasted in doing so.

Bloody scientists have lost the plot these days.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   

The first thing that came to mind was Artificial Intelligence and what Hawking's said.

Couple this new claim into the mix, and look out.

edit on 19-5-2014 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs

originally posted by: ArtemisE
What element would be created I wonder.

If they can only create a few subatomic particles at a time and if those cant be contained/stored then nothing.

The first element is hydrogen though, so id imagine thats what they could go for. Can you imagine being about to turn light into hydrogen and oxygen off sunlight in space? Rocket fuel

This is along the lines of what I was thinking.

But on an earthly scale. We know how to turn matter into light, heat works well. Turning light into matter though.....this has been know for decades to be happening out in space, but we don't know the mechanism.

This will change the standard model and physics as we understand it.

Imagine using a flashlight to make etc.... on the fly IRL. We would be the epitome of Gods(capital G yes) in a generation.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: oblvion

originally posted by: Biigs

If they can only create a few subatomic particles at a time and if those cant be contained/stored then nothing.

The first element is hydrogen though, so id imagine thats what they could go for. Can you imagine being about to turn light into hydrogen and oxygen off sunlight in space? Rocket fuel

This is along the lines of what I was thinking.

But on an earthly scale. We know how to turn matter into light, heat works well. Turning light into matter though.....this has been know for decades to be happening out in space, but we don't know the mechanism.

This will change the standard model and physics as we understand it.

Imagine using a flashlight to make etc.... on the fly IRL. We would be the epitome of Gods(capital G yes) in a generation.

I think you have the wrong end of the stick....

Please refer to my previous posts.

Peace,

Korg.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

Of course if something like this works, it is only a matter of time before larger pieces of physical matter can be created, eventually culminating in a 3D light printer.
With a corresponding increase in the amount of energy required to do so.
m=e/c^2
A very small amount of matter requires a great deal of energy.

Where in lies the biggest problem. One must either have matter or energy to transfuse either mater and or energy.

If only we could tap the zero point energy of the void.........

Good point, because matter is nothing but condensed energy. For proof light paper on fire, a great deal of energy is released in its transfer to energy from matter.

Beautiful expression of e=mc2 in your post btw, some will likely miss it in its inverse of matter equals energy times the speed of light ( C) squared.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I wonder how much energy will it take to power such as device?

Furthermore, if I want to create a simple tool like a hammer, how much energy would be required to make this hammer? Would we need to input something else then electricity?

I want to point out that many have made bold and wild statements such as these scientists have only to come out empty handed, let's not set ourselves up for disappointment, we shall see.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Great find. F&S&

a reply to: Biigs

I too have noted the presence of cutting-edge scientific knowledge in ancient texts. I don't take it as "proof" one or the other is the "word of god," but rather, as evidence mankind has had significant scientific knowledge in the past. The major implication being: We too can lose what we have - all it takes is one major catastrophe.

edit on 19/5/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ArtemisE

Positronium: electron-positron pair. It has the lowest sum rest mass of anything which can be created with other conservation laws.

There will need to be some other reactant (charged nucleus?) I think to conserve total momentum, I think.
edit on 19-5-2014 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee

Probably found the Staff of Aaron another staff of power or the wand of Merlin and have been back engeneering it.
www.nemo.nu...

You win the thread! I like the way you think and I love this matter from light concept. I imagine a fully interactive "virtual" reality room where you can create different scenes.

Imagine the perpetual source of fuel we could generate! Assuming of course this can be honed and advanced beyond its current theory. I'm of the belief that if it can be imagined then it can be created in one dimension or another and we are just beginning to understand how to interact with other dimensions.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: JewelOfDenial

originally posted by: Char-Lee

Probably found the Staff of Aaron another staff of power or the wand of Merlin and have been back engeneering it.
www.nemo.nu...

You win the thread! I like the way you think and I love this matter from light concept. I imagine a fully interactive "virtual" reality room where you can create different scenes.

Imagine the perpetual source of fuel we could generate! Assuming of course this can be honed and advanced beyond its current theory. I'm of the belief that if it can be imagined then it can be created in one dimension or another and we are just beginning to understand how to interact with other dimensions.

I am thinking MUCH bigger, imagine you could create like in this movie.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

I'm now thinking of the Starship Voyager and the new "slipstream" drive... but the Delta Flyer had to map the spacial anomalies in front of the ship... I'm hoping we can get a food replicator at least! Maybe a Klingon Batleth at least??

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Woo hoo Im having a star trek gasm! Lol!

Replicators, phasers, emergency medical holograms?? HOLODECKS!!!

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Woo hoo Im having a star trek gasm! Lol!

Replicators, phasers, emergency medical holograms?? HOLODECKS!!!

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Element 115 for anti-gravity drives?

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vortiki
What the [expletive removed].

I am just stunned. If this is prototyping technology than you can rest assured to see big bad stuff coming our way within the next decade. The ability to convert energies leads to stuff like teleportation. If they can convert light into physical matter, they can convert physical matter into light.

If they can do that, they can convert a human body into light, send it flying off to its destination, then, upon arrival, be converted back into physical matter.

Hell, this paves the way for all sorts of things.

Allow me to be the first to formally welcome you to the Quantum Era of humanity. So long information era, we're on to bigger and badder things.

Khenpo Ach

Rainbow Body

Rainbow Body (Wikipedia)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join