It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

80's is it a decade most of people want to come back to?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

It may have been a barren desert in the U.S. for music in the 80's but it certainly wasn't in the U.K. :-

The Smiths
The Jam
Bowie
Queen
Floyd
Eurythmics
Spandau Ballet
The Communards
Dire Straits
New Order
James
Joy Division
Flock Of Seagulls
The Cure
Happy Mondays
Stone Roses
The Police
Depeche Mode
Elvis Costello
Simple Minds

To name but a few.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
a reply to: theantediluvian
Aliens was Cameron and Hurd. I remember 86.
"GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER!"

Went to the first four Lollapaloozas, skipped Woodstock in 94.
I was going to go to Soungarden/NIN...I dont know yet. I'd have to go to New Jersey. Ewww....

Hey now! Some of us actually live in New Jersey! I didn't grow up here, but I've lived in the southern part of the state since the late 90's and it's much maligned. Well, Camden isn't.. Camden is a s#hole but you're pretty safe just going directly to the Susquehanna Bank Center (formerly the Tweeter Center and before that the E-Center).

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: AnnieWolf19

-Deleted-
edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Not bad, though Joy Division is really a 70's band and New Order is Joy Division minus Ian Curtis and Bowie started off in what? The late 60's? (Dancing in the Streets is nothing to remember fondly) The best Floyd was all in the 70's. The Jam was mostly a 70's band as they'd broken up by the early 80's (82-83?) Some of those acts like Queen, The Cure and The Police stood the test of time much better than others like Flock of Seagulls.

Star for the list though, some of those like The Smiths are a lot more influential than kids these days would be aware of.
edit on 2014-5-18 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I had a good time during the eighties...but would I want to return to that era? Not on your life. Unless you could promise that I get back my body from that time frame but with my current mind.

I would make a killing!

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
i would go back to the 60's and invent heavy metal. everyone's all love and anti war and the only way i'm gonna be easy is when i'm killed by death

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I was born in 86, so I don't remember them too much. I think the 80's were a time of excess in a way. I also think that America lost some of her national identity after the fall of the Soviet Union, even if that identity was a sham to begin with, but the Cold War was very real. I think that each side thought the other side was a bit crazier than they actually were however. One thing I could not stand about the 80's...the freaking colors. The clothing. Who would think it was okay to wear lime green, blue, purple, etc., all together? Haha. I think that people are going to be fond of their childhood years, regardless of the time period. Not everybody, but many.

I think if I had a choice I would check out England's music scenes in the late 70's early 80's. Maybe see Joy Division play live or something, or some of the other post-punk bands. I think that the music being played across the Atlantic during that time was superior to that in the US in a lot of ways. But further into the 80's I am not really certain about. There is a lot of 80's music I cannot stand, even some of the rock music. Many people would probably disagree with me, but I think "hair bands" are something we could have done without.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: HanzHenry

originally posted by: rickymouse
Just leave the disco back in the eighties. All the other stuff in the eighties was just fine.

disco was the 70's..

Not around here it wasn't. Not many around here believed it was more than a fad...Then all of a sudden in the early eighties, they started to have disco at one bar here. Most bars had live bands on the weekends and maybe Wednesday night here, but the disco,disk jockey took over a wednesday night at one bar. Other than that, the only time I actually went to a disco bar was in 81 in Sheboygan Wisconsin on the east side of town. Close to the bar where they had piranhas you could feed goldfish to. I think it was 6 goldfish for a buck. A friend of mine told the bartender to put in five bucks worth. Cool.....the water was swarming just like in the movies.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
- Big Hair
- Mullet haircuts
- Valley girl speak
- Skinny ties
- High-waisted jeans
- Parachute pants
- Pastel-coloured everything
- Neon-coloured everything
- Shoulder pads
- Madonna wannabes
- Duran Duran
- Wham!
- Mr. Mister
- Lipstick rock
- 12% mortgage rates
- Yuppie lifestyle worship
- Jane Fonda's Workout
- The distortion of the classic Mustang car into a compact hatchback
- The peak of the nuclear arms race

No.
Just friggin' NO.

edit on 18-5-2014 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Ahhh the roaring 80's!

I still live in the 80's at my house. lol. I Mostly, I keep the satellite radio on 80's hairbands, 80's top 40, or 80's country. I watch mostly old TV shows. My wife prefers 80's too. I was born in '71, I grew up as a 70's/80's kid. !984-1989 seemed magical for many reasons. The music was good, the movies were good, actors were intriguing(not like the lame-o ones of today) TV shows were different from each other, actors and musicians were vastly different from each other(individualism), -instead of this 'uniform' crap they have now.

The economy was good, most seemed happy. On the weekends, after working hard all week, many people played with their toys, be it boats, new vehicles, ATV's, campers, etc., etc.. But you don't see a lot of that anymore. Mostly, only the rich get to do those things. Old camping spots have grown over and many other places have too. It's like nobody does anything, anymore. It's sad.

I cannot stand new music. I cannot stand most new TV shows or movies(reference Inglorious Basterds). Even most of the commercials suck. It's almost as if the non-talented got control of everything, ripped off the talented, and we have to endure it. The talented are being suppressed other than getting ideas stolen by the idiots. The roaring 80's was an incredible time. I have so many great memories. I would love to see it come back around, but I doubt it ever will. I think we'll slip further into this cesspool that has been hanging on since about 1996. Most of my family and friends agree with me, as we talk about it occasionally.

But if the 80's come back, I still have some ripped-up jeans and my Levi jacket somewhere

Oh, and mullets are still cool. I don't know what this hate is for them(I have my suspicions).

edit on 18-5-2014 by Fylgje because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje
But if the 80's come back, I still have some ripped-up jeans and my Levi jacket somewhere

I haven't waited for the 80's to come back for that!

Commercials we're cooler in the 80's, now it's just too much.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Mullets and big hair ?!

Please gawd no....

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Music got pretty horrible in the last half of the 80's. It's what drove me to listen to old stuff from before I was born.. 50's - 70's.. So fashion and music blew in the 80's, but movies, kids toys and cartoons were great. I'd go back just because they were simpler times.. like how the 50's were revered in the 80's. The small differences stand out.. things weren't as commercial and controled as they are now.If anybody remembers Night Flight that came on the USA network, you know what I mean.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

It's the control that corporations have on EVERYTHING now.. that's why people are zombies and everything sucks. Everything from radio to t.v. commercials is carefully formulated and there is no place for experimentation and creative expression. It's all mere product.

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 04:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: rockoperawriter
i would go back to the 60's and invent heavy metal. everyone's all love and anti war and the only way i'm gonna be easy is when i'm killed by death

Heavy metal was invented in the 60's.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I was just a kid in the 70s, but came of age in the 80s and boy did they suck.
Madonna, Wham, Kajagoogoo, Limahl, leg warmers, roller skates, Reagan, born again mega-churches and bad metal hair bands.

Thank some deity (or non-deity) that the 90s came along and trimmed some of that hideous synthetic excess back.
edit on 20-5-2014 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

The 80s sucked in Canada because up there it was still the 70's. Down here the 80's were great. Which means the 90s should have been good in Canada. At least, that's how Robin Scherbatsky explained time progression in Canada on 'How I Met Your Mother'.

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   

I'd go back in a heartbeat and freeze time so the 80's never ends. The 80's were a time of transition between the care free 70's and the technological 90's.

The music and movies are second to none - nothing the 90's produced could come close to the music of the 80's. The movies were fresh and wonderful because we were just entering the digital age. Think Tron, ET, Close Encounters of the third kind. This time was an awakening for many to see the world in a different view.

MTV was God. So much so suddenly, Americans like never before could get exposure to music from all countries though video. The government and the new owners of MTV in the 90's made sure to squash that quickly because Americans knowing about the plight of others in other countries was an eye opening event. People started to look at the world as a whole and realized we are all in this together as opposed to me being in my country and you being in yours. You cannot get this type of music and influence on MTV today and that's by design - to keep us down.

Oh yeah.. and the chicks were hotter and I had hair then

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join