It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

80's is it a decade most of people want to come back to?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I'm just having some reflection about 80's, especially in the terms of music and movies. You know, I live in 21st century, but when I come back home I listen to 80's music (mostly ballads and some pop or classic rock) and look at 80's video clips and I've got this impression as I would be a child again, but I was born in 1993. It's funn being born in 90's, but having pictures of memories with 80's music in background.

When I find out that one singer or band from 80's record songs in 21st century for me it's not the same singer or band. It's like totally different people. And I came back to looking at them in 80's, not now. It''s cool that they come back, but it's not the same.

In the case of movies I like mostly early 90's. In Poland as a child in primary school I liked watching some Americans drama movies where Melisa Gilbert or Patty Duke were starring. That was so true to me...Dr Quinn.

I like format of screen and special sound of actrs and actresses in 80's and 90's movies. I've got this impression of hearing natural deep voices of actors, not like today everything so technically changed snd improved by machines.

Of course I know that during 80's my country Poland was not in a such a happy condition, because of communism, but lots of people here miss that times, even with control of police in daily life.

Maybe it's just me and I look at romantic side of 80's, especially in the US or in the UK (music), but for sure that was not so memorable decade for some people especially, because of "SATANIC PANIC" in the US, raise of murders and agressive side of 80's rock, hardcore or heavy metal music.

On you tube, when I listen some 80's music I can read lots of comments like:
"I want 80's to come back" or "let's build a time machine".

WHAT ARE YOUR FEELINGS ABOUT 80's FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF COUNTRY YOU LIVE IN?

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Just leave the disco back in the eighties. All the other stuff in the eighties was just fine.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Just leave the disco back in the eighties. All the other stuff in the eighties was just fine.

disco was the 70's..

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Disco was the 70's wasn't it?

I love the 80's. I was a teenager in the mid to late 80's and was great! The music, the concerts, the best time of my life.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: AnnieWolf19

I wouldn't say that i would like to go back there. But i will have some of this..

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I liked the 80's and i'll tell you why.

Because i lived in that time, it was a time for all the firsts and i think you always are fond of the first time you hear or see things, i think that leaves a lasting fondness and all the years go by and you have heard more and more music theres more to choose from diluting the pool as it were.

Sure every now and then you will hear an oldie from before you were born that you love, or somthing new from current times.

Some of my favorate now classic movies were from the 80's, like i fondly remember innerspace, batteries not included, ferris beulers day off, Indiana jones, star wars etc as a kid and i could pick one of them up now and happily watch it with deep seeded reminiscent joy.

well theres my 2 cents as to why this [your title] is. If i could forget it all and do it all again i would in a heart beat, the 90s not so much

edit on b38381159 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

The 80's were a time of complete denial and ignorance. It was a good time and then we gave it away. About '81, the war on the american citizens began. First it was the welfare queen, then it was the potheads, then it was unions, then it was job outsourcing.....there is more but I get angry thinking about it. I was in my 30's in the 80's.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I think some of the 80's outfits were awesome.... But some not so much... Then some music was good and some not..

I like the 80's cause I was born in 1984. I think that's neat that I'm an 80's baby.. I wouldn't wanna go back..

I wanna move forward and live day to day..

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I loved the 80s because that's the era I made an obscene amount of money in the business world.
I have a moderately smooth lifestyle today because of the investments I made during the 80. dot com. explosion.

Culturally the 80s was stupid and ugly, which made it a great time to focus on ambition and work.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Everybody had money in the 80's.

The dot.com boom was in full swing.

I would go back right now.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

The 80's were the peak of something that started in late 60's and continued thru the 70's with some step backs. All went downhill when stuff like hip hop got popular.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Nope. I don't miss the eighties on bit. Cold War tensions, "trickle down economics", ketchup as a vegetable for the poor, apartheid, mass starvation in Ethiopia...

I guess some of the best new wave and punk was great. But the nineties were my decade. Alternative became mainstream. Opportunity knocked. It was like the rroaring 20's all over again. Ten bucks would fill your gas tank. It felt like the 80's was the "me" decade. The 90's were the "we" decade. There were bad things then as well, the Balkans and Yugoslavia, dictators in former Eastern block nations, but no ten year span can be perfect. I'd hop in the Wayback Machine and live them all over again.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
Everybody had money in the 80's.

The dot.com boom was in full swing.

I would go back right now.

The dot com boom was more nineties.
PCs became cheap and affordable for everyone then.
I respect eeveryone's opinion, though, our experiences were all unique.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
The Eighties? No frickin way. They sucked the first time. Take me back ti the 70's. EVERYTHING was better, especially the music. Zep vs Duran Duran. Nuff said.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

The 80's were the peak of something that started in late 60's and continued thru the 70's with some step backs. All went downhill when stuff like hip hop got popular.

It didn't quite feel that way to me. 1989-90 saw the End of the first Cold war. Hippies became Yuppies in the eighties. I think Spielberg captured that nicely and subtlety in his movie "Poltergeist". The real estate former hippy dad played by Craig T. Nelson reading a book about Reagan in his suburban home while his wife did something T&C wont allow me to say...

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
In the early eighties the interest rate for a mortgage was 10-1/8%. I sure don't want to go back there.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
You guys are all over the map! Does anyone actually remember the 80's? There was no dot.com boom in the 80's, that was the late 90's. Disco was in the 70's. Actually I think Dr. Quinn was in the early 90's too.

The 80's was Miami Vice, the A-Team, MacGyver (and Murder She Wrote but only because my mom loved it), hair bands, mostly terrible fashion (that will never come back in style — throw it away!), synth pop and power ballads. The wall came down, there was so much hairspray in the air that the ozone layer was crying, kids were wearing jams, parachute pants and members only jackets to school and the movies were AWESOME.

The Lost Boys
The Goonies
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Ghostbusters
The Terminator
Aliens
Bladerunner
Platoon
Full Metal Jacket
Scarface
E.T.
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
The Empire Strikes Back
Raging Bull
Red Dawn
The Untouchables
Gremlins
Poltergeist
They Live!
The Breakfast Club
The Thing
Stand By Me
Back to the Future
edit on 2014-5-18 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The 80's to me a was a simpler way of life, if the only thing negative about it was the mortgage rates I can live with that, think about it, all this technology was to help us live better, but instead we have more laws in place because of it, the computer was to help save on paper instead it generators more stupid reports needed every day, things were simple back in the 80's, you did not have to worry to much about the government, gas was cheaper by far, the Unemployment rate is like it is now but people still found work, Music and concerts were a thing to do, people were enjoying themselves instead of worrying about the world and the BS going on.

The 80's to be were better than the 70"s and defiantly better than current time.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid
Don't know about the 70"s , Oil crisis, end of Vietnam, Nixon, Ford and Carter, blame Nixon for Wal-Mart and China, he started this mess when it comes to American Made, Can't really think of anything off of the top of my head about Ford but Carter was a lam duck President with his Peanuts and Subsidies, and his drunk brother and Billy Beer. Cold war tensions were high, Unemployment started to get high.

If Music is the only thing that came out of the 70"s I can only agree on that with you.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: 19KTankCommander

things were simple back in the 80's, you did not have to worry to much about the government

Really? The CIA was conducting illegal wars all over the globe and we were in a Cold War with the Soviet Union? Revolution in Iran? War in Afghanistan? Iran-Contra, arming dictators like Hussein, the beginning of the "war on drugs" which is really more like a "war against ourselves."

Well I guess maybe somebody should have been doing a little more worrying!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join