It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evil - I Think I've Figured It Out

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

I'd love to

Throw some ideas at the team

Click on the link in my sig strip

We love a challenge DS

Cody

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Oh Hell...I can't avoid this one. It's like a itch I have to scratch.

Morals are relative to the individual. Evil is relative to the individual, Good is relative to the individual.

It's always up to the individual and damned be what others think is Good, Evil and Moral. If the individual doesn't care a lick what you think is morally right, then it just doesn't matter to them. Narcissists or Psychopaths come to mind here.

People condemn me for saying I will blow the head off some one who breaking and entering my house. "You're a murderer!" they scream. But I don't see it as murdering them...I see it as killing them. There is a difference.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
wrong thread

You know this is what I thought to, as I scrolled down the
first page. But now Cody and DS have me not so sure any
more.

I wonder what OP's thinking at this point?

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

How convenient that YOU get to decide. So then Hitler was justified in murdering millions of jews because morality is relative? What about the children he made orphans when he gassed their parents?

It's funny how some people will go to such lengths to avoid absolute morality. It induces all sorts of uncomfortable questions, doesn't it? Like perhaps you and I have sinned...

I could corner you all night over your ridiculous notion of morality but I think it's clear you aren't man enough to admit you are wrong. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Good and evil are human evaluations. Morality is a human affair. There's no moral code inherent in the primordial substrate.

There are videos of lions eating their young. Are they evil?
edit on 18-5-2014 by Aphorism because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: SystemResistor

Evil is destructive and ultimately self-destructive. Yes, it tends towards non being. It is spiritual death.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

wrong thread

more.

If I can raise the money via ATS and he agrees, we'll scrap live on youtube!

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeadSeraph

wrong thread

more.

Why not just do it for free and do it via the debate forum.

Money is morally evil...just my opinion.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

Corrrection!

Money is morally evil...just my opinion.

It is the love of money that is morally evil.
You know this stuff Dawg.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

That's why I put the LOL at the end.

I don't think money is the root of evil, though in some peoples cases it can be, nor can money make you happy. I see it as a tool.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
i always thought it was because of the Loc-Nar the green jewel and the sum of all evil.

edit on 18-5-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Interesting. I think there was a time when what we know of as "evil" did not exist. There was a perfect harmony of nature and creatures here on Earth, like a well tended garden. I think it is possible mankind lived in a happy and joyful ignorance, a protected and cared for life called the Golden Age.

Then something happened. It involved folks not from here. What ever they brought, it included more knowledge than we could handle and over all it was bad. Clearly some inter racial mating occurred and their line exists among us now. We are smarter sure, but worse off. Inhuman and unearthly, we seem to have moved away from being in tune with nature and the natural world that cradled us for so long. We are, or something is trying, to break us away from it.

Sometimes I feel like we are organic parts of the earth but nefarious groups are trying to pull us away from it. They understand it is how we survive but we don't. They want us clipped and surviving like flowers in a vase, dying sooner and entirely dependent on them. (whoever they are) It's not right. At least it just feels like, it's not right.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   

You have no logical grounds for moral relativism. Nobody has yet provided grounds for it, even amongst far greater minds than our own. The notion that morality is an evolutionary trait that is completely subjective to cultural factors crumbles under the light of reason every time.

I disagree. I still maintain that there are no such things as moral absolutes.

Using your example, what you fail to understand is that your repulsion and disgust at the idea of raping babies is a human perspective, ingrained into you by the society you grew up in. You highly value the life of a baby and believe they represent the ultimate form of innocence. Another human perspective.

Despite what you wish to believe, this type of thing happens in nature and is not judged or thought about in the way that us humans do.

edit on 18/5/2014 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

wrong thread

more.

Pathetic

You just destroyed all your supposed reasoning

And any credibility you had

My thanks

Cody

ETA: the cred bit
edit on 18/5/14 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
True evil means that you are not redeemable. Your nature is of hatred, lies, and worse. Most "leaders" of this world are pure evil incarnate. If they weren't, the world would have been a much better place. Think of it this way : a little girl ask a shop keep for some bread. He says "where your money"? She says "I don't have any". "Well I guess you won't be eating then". This is the state of the world. Profit over people.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Evil is a Christian based word that started out as meaning "that which we cannot understand". We all know that the people in power back then were the more leaned ones, and they did everything they could to keep it that way. The leaders of churches read from the Bible to make their sermons. The parishioners, the commoners, were not allowed to own Bibles.

God is good because he made everything and knows everything, while Satan is evil because he wanted to be that way. That reasoning was made by the people I described in the first paragraph and is the original tactic used to keep the power structure intact. Keep people afraid and thinking that you know all the answers and keep them believing that you're one of the "good" ones. The evil ones want you intelligent. They want you to question the order of things the way Satan did with God. And Satan is evil....remember?

In the centuries that have passed, how many wars were started in the name of God? How many is the name of Satan? How many in order to keep Satan, or "evil" at bay? There have never been wars against good and evil when you get right down to it. There have been wars when the learned among us start to feel threatened by those who have been kept "ulearned" by the aforementioned a**holes. When people start to see this, when they "wake up", the definition of who is smart and who is not gets turned on its head.

So during all this time, the word "evil" has taken on a connotation that was based on a control tactic. To put mildly, the word is used out of context and the war between the learned and unlearned continues on./

edit on 18-5-2014 by DeepImpactX because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex
...Morals are relative to the individual. Evil is relative to the individual, Good is relative to the individual.

It's always up to the individual and damned be what others think is Good, Evil and Moral....

I agree with Dawg.

The concept of "evil" is a human one.

and IMHO Evil is not a simple, black and white concept. (Although It might be perceived that way by any one individual when viewed from their own perspective!)
It is a complicated, tangled mess of conflicting feelings and emotions, based on each individuals own life experience, upbringing, society, family (values), time-frame, and probably a thousand other things too.

It therefore has to be relative in nature, as it's very existence is defined by our own individual experience and morals, relative to everyone else's.

There are acts/actions which the overwhelming majority of people will agree are evil, but that is not an absolute value. It is a majority value. Even if one person in a hundred million didn't agree that it was evil, then it cannot possibly be described as an absolute, definite evil, only "relatively" evil.

My 2c for what it's worth!
Cheers
G

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I see many people here talking about "Acts" of Evil, but not actually talking about "Evil" it self.

Many people are saying that Evil is relative and then mention how some "acts" are not seen as evil by others. That does not prove that Evil is relative, that only proves that people came to different conclusions about which "acts" are Evil - but not that Evil itself does not exist.

Instead of asking which "acts" are evil to do, a better question would be, what makes something Evil? rather than just saying "evil is relative since people don't agree on which 'acts' are evil".

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: arpgme

what makes something Evil?

Humans do. Evil is an honorific term bestowed by human thought.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Aphorism

The word "Tree" is bestowed by human thought.
The word "grow" and "develop" is bestowed by human thought,

but whether or not the human mind assigns a word to something, it is still happening.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAZ21
I see what you're getting at but, what if evil people believe that there is life after death, but that they won't be held accountable for their actions after death?

In essence, their evil ways are to satisfy their existence on earth, without the fear of judgement later on.

If such a situation in life and death was true, people would run riot doing whatever they want, because in the end it either doesn't matter because nothing exists or it doesn't matter because there is no Hell to go to.

Which brings us to the importance of order here on earth. There must be fear of punishment or else the only fear in this life is pain, and that's usually not enough on its own to stop people from committing heinous acts.

What I mean when I say order, is a story so powerful it can bend the behavior of all but the most evil in this world.

Hi, Sorry if I've mis-interpreted, but are you saying here that you have to believe in (and fear) a creator and later judgement, in order to live a life without inflicting evil on others?

What if you just happen to be a nice person, who believes in a bit of natural karma, and what goes around comes around?

I personally, am not a religious person (in the traditional sense).
I don't "believe" in a divine creator/heaven/hell scenario.
I certainly don't have a "fear" of later punishment for any wrong doing.
But I also do not have an evil urge to do others harm, and quite frankly, am slightly offended at the suggestion that I might be more likely to lean towards evil-doing because I don't believe in hell and later punishment.

I don't mean to sound condescending or confrontational, I'm just pointing out that, as a non-believer, it is entirely possible that I am actually quite a nice person (once you get to know me!! LOL)

regards
G

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join