It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Setting Up Emergency Shelter in Texas as Youths Cross Border Alone

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: mrsdudara

The one thing I know for certain, is that the only thing truly worth fighting for... is innocence. If we can not take care of these kids - and I don't care how many cross that border. If we can not find a way to take care of them, then we as a country have fallen.

We have homeless and hungry children that are citizens and get no help. How can we help another Country's kids if we can't take care of our own? Even with all the generous people who donate all the time to homeless people, it is never enough. Shelters are filled to capacity, tent cities are growing. Jobs have become more scarce over the years. There are too many people and not enough jobs. What will these kids do when they are of age? In any case, it is a tragic situation, but we have failed our own poor citizens and homelessness and hunger rises.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: mrsdudara
You want the middle class back? Well they just showed up, and half of you want them to leave.

Nooooo. Illegals showed up and people want the parents of the illegals to step up and actually be responsible for their actions as a reproducer, parent and Mexican National.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: HanzHenry
I grew up poor, I know all about struggle. Been there, done that, didn't even get a stinking t-shirt for it.

Immigration never worked out very well for the people that were already there, NEVER in HISTORY.

Tell me about it, my father's side is native canadian, my mother's side has a lot of native american blood in it. I know all about immigrants coming and wrecking everything

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

I think it needs to be a priority to find out how. Not just for the new arrivals but for all of them. It is not that help can't happen it is that it won't happen. Our government has decided to do other things with what money they can scrounge up. Like health care that cost them $2mil per US citizen so far. As a country, we have some SERIOUS issues that need to be addressed. Our government is not going to address it because as individuals, they put us in this position while becoming rich.

I dont know how, but it needs to be figured out.

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: macman

Well, heck, I want ALL parents to take responsibility for their kids not just the illegals. Doesn't mean it is going to happen.

Out of curiosity, what would you like to have happen to these kids realistically?

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

a reply to: macman

Well, heck, I want ALL parents to take responsibility for their kids not just the illegals. Doesn't mean it is going to happen.

Out of curiosity, what would you like to have happen to these kids realistically?

To be returned to their parents, as the parents are the sole responsible party for under-aged persons.

Are you for denying of reuniting children with their parents???

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Perhaps return to their own governments (assuming that can be determined).

And where is the U.N. with these problems ??

posted on May, 21 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star
Sorry, missed this post before somehow. I gave them up willingly because I knew they were going to go to my "aunt and uncle"(really second cousins, but grew up knowing them as that). I knew they were going to a good home. If it was them going into state custody or something, it would have been over my dead body lol. I have known people that ended up in group homes or orphanages, then got pimped out to perverts. Not on my watch. And I still skype them every day and help with math homework, and make sure they are happy there

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: macman

To be returned to their parents, as the parents are the sole responsible party for under-aged persons.

Are you for denying of reuniting children with their parents???

I think in a perfect world where all kids have Moms and Dads who love them... that's great. What makes you think they have parents to go home to? These kids are primarily from Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador. Do you know what that area is like right now? Especially for kids. Some of these kids came looking for a parent or relative because the parent responsible for them died and they have no where else to go. They came for help. Don't you want to help kids in need?

As for their government assuming responsibility... they do not have a stable government in those areas that can take care of anything.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I think in a perfect world where all kids have Moms and Dads who love them... that's great. What makes you think they have parents to go home to?

Not my problem, nor the problem of the US.

These kids are primarily from Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador. Do you know what that area is like right now?

Don't really care.
Sounds like the people need to take care of their country.
If you would want, I am sure we can send the US Military to door kick some "Freedom and Democracy" there as well, along with Iraq and Afghanistan.
The resources of the US need to be utilized on taking care of the US.

Especially for kids. Some of these kids came looking for a parent or relative because the parent responsible for them died and they have no where else to go. They came for help.

Their Govt needs to help them, not the US.

Don't you want to help kids in need?

US Citizens sure.
Foreigners??? Nope. Not my problem. The US has its own people to take care of.

As for their government assuming responsibility... they do not have a stable government in those areas that can take care of anything.

Again, not my concern.
I love it when people bitch and moan about the US moving military forces into countries or covertly overthrowing Govts due to what is done to the people there, but then cry like hell when "the children" are thrust into our faces saying that we need to help.

There is a whole lot of nopes.

Nope, the US does not and should not be using tax dollars to take care of foreigners.
Nope, these kids should not stay here.
Nope, my level of give a crap for other countries is none.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The good old American business men wants them here for cheap labor. The patriots who think so much of the USA and are so worried about not having a powerful military to protect it. They are just helping to destroy it in their own greedy ways.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   

I think in a perfect world where all kids have Moms and Dads who love them... that's great. What makes you think they have parents to go home to? These kids are primarily from Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador. Do you know what that area is like right now? Especially for kids. Some of these kids came looking for a parent or relative because the parent responsible for them died and they have no where else to go. They came for help. Don't you want to help kids in need?

I once saw a video of kids trying to make it to the border. One child was just adorable and funny as hell, if I had money, I would have loved to have adopted him. For this boy, he came from a large family and wasn't treated well and knew the mother and step father couldn't afford to keep him so he tried to make the trek across. It was too hard and he never made it and had to return home where he wasn't treated well.

For any parent who can't afford a lot of kids, they shouldn't be bringing them into the world. Some kids had both parents here and missed them so undertook the trek. Some just heard how easy it was for illegals once they got here and that all their needs would be met. There are many variables on why children try to cross that dangerous border. If their own countries government is unstable then something drastic needs to be done.

What kind of country allows their children to be put into harms way. Along their travels there are rattle snakes, scorpions, child trafficking, heat that can reach 115 degrees and more. For the US to be responsible for other countries kids when their own are suffering and hungry and homeless is ridiculous.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
There have been so many deaths of adults trying to cross, to have a child do this is insane!

posted on Mar, 4 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The Statue had nothing to do with immigration. It was about freedom. The French honored us with the Statue to celebrate the friendship between our countries. We were the first nation ever to make the rulers of their country aware that freedom and liberty was possible. The sonnet, "The New Colossus", engraved at the base, was written by the Jewish poet Emma Lazarus as part of a fund raising campaign. She wrote as a way of honoring those Jews suffering from anti-semitism who wanted to flee from their host countries. The original manuscript is held by the American Jewish Historical Society. The sonnet played no significant part in the celebration of the opening of the statue in 1883 and was all but forgotten. 20 years later the text of the poem was put on the inner wall of the pedestal of the Statue of Liberty. And that's how the poem ended up on a Statue that was specifically created to honor freedom and originally inscribed only with the adoption date of the Declaration of Independence (JULY IV MDCCLXXVI). And that's why we call it the Statue of Liberty and not the Statue of Immigration.

Today the true story of the Statue of Liberty is disingenuously used for political purposes to paint a gauzy picture of those happy times when we weren't so picky about who was allowed to immigrate to our country. In fact it was just the opposite, the US had (like the rest of the world had, and still has) a merit based immigration policy. Potential immigrants had to stop on the island and pass a rigorous inspection before being allowed to set foot on the mainland. If you didn't have enough money with you, if you had no job skills, or if you had a criminal record, you were rejected. If you passed that phase you were sent to the medical inspection line and uniformed military surgeons quickly culled out those with minor medical conditions. Even a case of glaucoma could cause you to be rejected. The doctors would observe the immigrants as they climbed the stairs leaving the baggage area. If you had difficulty with those stairs, that could cause you to be rejected. Ellis Island was sometimes known as "The Island of Tears" or "Heartbreak Island" because of the immigrants that were turned away.

<< 2  3  4   >>

join