It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge floods in Serbia and Bosnia and Hercezogvina

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

More than 20 people have been killed in the worst floods in more than a century in Serbia and Bosnia, authorities said on Saturday, with thousands evacuated from towns still under threat from rising rivers.

The death toll in Bosnia alone reached 19, including nine found on Saturday when waters receded from the northeastern town of Doboj.

Thousands of volunteers joined soldiers, police and fire-fighters in building flood barriers made of sandbags in the Serbian capital Belgrade and the western town of Sabac.

The River Sava hit its highest-recorded level in Serbia, the army said, rising at a rate of three centimeters (one inch) per hour after several days of the heaviest rainfall in almost 120 years.

Huge floods in Serbia and Bosnia and Hercezogvina

BBC

So many people lost their homes, many got evacuated, the real fight begins once the water goes away. Im just surprised at just how little main stream media attention this got. For those wondering, dont worry my family and me are fine!
edit on 17-5-2014 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Must be global warming eh?

"a common threat can make enemies allies in the end"

--me

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Well, I can tell you I don't remember anything like this happening before. It was raining for two whole days. Constantly. In those two days, we had more rain than we had during the entire fall this year. Very soon, another wave is expecting to hit Serbia, this time the capital. I'm scared to think what will happen if we don't manage to defend the river Sava from going rampage. This is far from over, because it is expected that the rivers from Bosnia will hit Serbia in the next couple of days.

The only good thing that came out of this is to see just how united people can be. How not selfish, caring, wiling to help, donating money, food, clothes, going to help the military and the police. It's just amazing.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Nikola014

The rate of permafrost melt in those northern regions should also be alarming.

It will get worse... In my opinion.

Weather can be indiscriminate and brutal at times. Thoughts and prayers for those in the devastated areas.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Glad to hear you and your family are safe. Those are shocking pictures; for a river to rise an inch an hour the rain must have been torrential.
Wishing you luck, and hoping that the next few days aren't as bad as forecast.
Take good care,

B x

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
My prayers go out to all both directly and indirectly affected by this.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
In a place called Duboko, near Belgrade, the water got two meters from the highway. There are just so many critical places to look after for. So many potential granades

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014
In a place called Duboko, near Belgrade, the water got two meters from the highway. There are just so many critical places to look after for. So many potential granades

I am so sorry you and your people have to experience such distress, I truly hope you and everyone else remains safe and in continued support of each other. Stay strong my friend, my city has been getting scorched by wild fires all week and many thousands of people have lost a lot but luckily everyone is pulling together to support one another just like yours.

There is still hope. *hugs*

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Thanks for the support! It is reported that over 16 thousand people got evacuated.

River Sava in BiH...It's coming to Serbia.

EDIT: This is how a city near Belgrade looks like:

pbs.twimg.com...:large

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Blessings to all Serbs who are suffering during this time... Today was beautiful and Sunny, hopefully marking the end of the flooding...

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Once in a lifetime, appreciate every moment

P.S. lol added afterwards
More and more people and local media talks about this "super-floods" ad HAARP. It is quite interesting how people work close together. Even some of the most popular newspapers openly talked about this "theory". Literally noone I heard blame "global warming" for this.
edit on 20-5-2014 by poweref because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   

There are now 51 deaths due to flooding.

I found out about this over the long weekend from my Dad's friend who is a Doukhobor & has family family in Russia still. I was surprised when he told me of this & was wondering if it's being mentioned much in the MSM?? I don't have tv so I don't know the coverage it's getting. I imagine not much.

top topics

join