It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dinosaur Unearthed in Argentina Breaks Record for Largest Ever Discovered

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

A team of scientists in Argentina have unearthed the remains of the largest species of dinosaur discovered to date, paleontologists announced Saturday.

Seven "huge" herbivorous dinosaurs were discovered at one site in the province of Chubut, Argentina, according to the Paleontological Museum Egidio Feruglio, which led the dig.

The new species are estimated to have been 40 meters in length and 80 tons in weight, surpassing the previous record-holder for the world's largest dinosaur — the Argentinosaurus.

Dinosaur Unearthed in Argentina Breaks Record for Largest Ever Discovered

The largest species of dinosaur yet discovered, found in Argentina which already held the record for previous largest dinosaur (the aptly named "Argentinosaurus"). I hope they come up with a slightly more imaginative name for this one though.

Thought this would be an interesting post with Godzilla opening this weekend...

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Just so very awesome.
By the sounds of it this guy is a beast.
Imagine how many we can't get to because they're bones are at the bottom of the sea.
Also how many we improperly construct..just fantastic stuff.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Thanks for posting, I love anything on dinosaurs.

Interesting that the two largest Dinosaurs came from Argentina, must be something in the water. I know it is a good thing for our human species that they no longer walk the earth, but man what I wouldn't give to see what life was like back then, to see them waking around causing a ruckus, that would be something to see.

Life in all its forms is so fascinating. I also wonder (as the above poster said) just how much we get wrong about them.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I wonder if in reality, it's just an older, larger Argentinosaurus.

Just because someone else found it doesn't necessarily mean it's a new species.

Look what happened when they discovered that many of the different species of Triceratopsians were just youths, juveniles and adults... all of the same species.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
The BBC article has a lot of photos of the find:

'Biggest dinosaur ever' discovered

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   
WoW bigger the better. Nice find

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer

Maybe they could call it Godzillasaurus!!

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Brilliant Stuff!
But the first thing that popped into my head was...

Largest Dinosaurs yet discovered... SEVEN of them so far... at the ONE site?
Seven of the Largest creatures ever to walk the earth, and they ALL die in the one spot, possibly (probably) at the same time??

What could have caused that?

Interesting...

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Very cool OP! That thing must have been enormous.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   
yup its the biggest accepted so far but we do have Amphicoelias and Bruhathkayosaurus based on the limited samples found estimated to be up to 30% bigger

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Good point. Another poster mentioned that all of the largest dinosaurs since discovered come from the same relative area of argentina. This dinosaur is a whole lot like the previous size record holder. What if they are just the same species and this guy was just bigger.

Case in point. I'm 5'4". My cousin. A dude that shares 50% of the same DNA I do is 6'6". Were the same species. Same family even. but look at the difference.

Also like posted on this thread how bout the differences in the triceretops families that they thought were different species but were just different ages and sexes in the same species.

a reply to: gspat

edit on 18-5-2014 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Amazing find. Always love anything to do with dinosaurs. There must be so many more bones under the sea that we''ll probably never get the chance to find.
I wonder how big these things can get. We seem to be finding bigger dinosaurs all the time.

It would be just amazing to see these amazing creatures in all their glory, roaming around and doing their thing.

Nice find OP S+F

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackmarketeer I seen this on the news this morning and my first thought was...............holy crap!!!! Wouldn't it be neat if they still existed?

S&F

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Im not Suprised

NEXT ... wishfull thinking of giants .

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
and can you believe people still deny the existence of dinosaur lol...

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Gordi The Drummer
Wear The Fox Hat

Mood: Mischievous
Member is offline.
2,027 81
2,922 21 22

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:37 link quote reply Brilliant Stuff!

Seven of the Largest creatures ever to walk the earth, and they ALL die in the one spot, possibly (probably) at the same time??

Interesting... - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

edit on 18-5-2014 by neileboy because: my post has dissappeared?

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: neileboy
Gordi The Drummer
Wear The Fox Hat

Mood: Mischievous
Member is offline.
2,027 81
2,922 21 22

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:37 link quote reply Brilliant Stuff!

Interesting... - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...
a reply to: Gordi The Drummer

having a prob with replying, been a bit! I was thinking flash floods or massive landslides. also wondering about O2 in the air at the time?

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Yay Argentina! I hope they don't give it some politic related name (the current givernment and its mindless followers are known for such stupid #)

An epic monster brawl to the death?

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I wonder how big the jockeys were? Has the blue whale been surpassed? Maybe in length.
edit on 19-5-2014 by symptomoftheuniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: neileboy

I did see a dino documentary once, where they speculated that a low-lying depression, located in an area of volcanic activity, could act as a catch-pool for any heavier-than-air gases coming from the volcanic action?

The dinos wander in... lower their head to feed/drink, and get light-headed from lack of oxygen in the gas-filled depression. Eventually faint and fall into the depression... lose consciousness and die.
Other dinos wander over to check out what's happened.... get light headed.... faint.... etc
Then the carnivores find them.... lower their heads to feed... get light headed.... etc

I think that they were likening it to the LaBrea tarpits in that respect?
Dino gets stuck in the tar.... carnivores come to feed... get stuck in tar.... and so on.

I wonder if the location of the find lies in a low depression in an area of previous volcanic activity?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join