It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Hard drive. Should I windows update?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I just got a new hard drive since my old one failed so of course had to re-install windows, etc. My question is should I let windows update everything? The conspiracy side of me says they are putting bad stuff on my comp (tin foil). what say you? Thanks.
Firepiston

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: FirePiston

If you dont do the update your Windows it will be open to years of known exploits and will become a target for hackers.

Im sure someone will be along to try to convert you to Linux shortly..

edit on 17-5-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: FirePiston
I just got a new hard drive since my old one failed so of course had to re-install windows, etc. My question is should I let windows update everything? The conspiracy side of me says they are putting bad stuff on my comp (tin foil). what say you? Thanks.
Firepiston

The government already has permission to enter your computer when it wants, any version. Update it for viruses.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Okay it is updating thanks for the replies. And it isn't the Gov I am worried about just microsfot putting virus's on it.
Firepiston
edit on 17-5-2014 by FirePiston because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: FirePiston
Firepiston

Tell me again what your logic is for not updating?

It doesn't make a difference if you run Windows, Linux, OSX or something else. If you want to be invisible online then don't connect to any network other wise follow the most basic of security principals which is keeping your OS up to date.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Well, I used to turn updates off because if I need to go somewhere and I go to shut comp down, it wont let me until it is finished. Also. Even when I click "only download and install when I say so" it somehow by itself installs them anyway which is fishy to me. Like, (your getting our updates wether you like it or not)
Firepiston
edit on 17-5-2014 by FirePiston because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhoenixOD

If you dont do the update your Windows it will be open to years of known exploits and will become a target for hackers.

Im sure someone will be along to try to convert you to Linux shortly..

OPINION: Good Grief !!! ... No FREEDOM-o-CHOICE ???

HOWEVER

I'll satisfy your ... "someone will be along to try to convert you to Linux".

AND

Something(s) (NEW?) to Consider ???

Sensory Overload of FREE Choices.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I dont update anything unless I have to... My first computer I had for 6 years and the last 3 years I ran it without any virus protection and I realized it operated faster and I had no problems at all with viruses. On my present pc I have updates turned off and save a lot of disk space...Also like you, I trust microsoft as much as the hackers.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
If I might throw an opinion in here? Update ..always update for the reasons people already said. Those who want in, already have ways to get there ..and those who don't? Those are who the updates for security block out.

A word of caution though? Since losing a new install last year to this, I have come to make the first update to a new install an incremental thing. I mean after the Service packs are in (depending on version). Select from the top down on the update list, but not ALL of them at ONCE. Not when it's dozens and dozens upon more to run.

I don't know what happened with me, and it may have been a one-off fluke, but running them all together conflicted something, somewhere and nuked that install. I've never had it repeat in doing it a chunk at a time.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I've found that half the updates are security fixes for IE , so if you're using a different browser, you probably don't need to download them.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Under the assumption that Microsoft do not do bad things to your computer and you can trust them with all data->Use Microsoft and windows update.

Under the assumption that Microsoft is a bad and share your information then would not the security holes be implemented already when you install the OS and not matter if you install windows update or not you will be screwed.

Your assumption only works if the OS is perfect from start and the holes are created afterwards in updates.

I run Microsoft myself.
edit on 17-5-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

Been there done that. Microsoft really sucks at conflicting updates and should have added a few restarts when installing many updates so the updates do not conflict. Especially dot net framework updates seem to be very sensitive from my experience.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
never update your computer, thats what 'they' want you to do.

it worked fine when you bought it, so why the updates?
think about it.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
There's a little known fact about windows updates. When Microsoft discover a vulnerability or exploit they of course develop an update to patch the problem. Hackers then back engineer the update to find out exactly where the vulnerability is and how to exploit it. Within days (sometimes hours) they develop virus's and malware to take advantage of the weakness because they know that not everyone updates their operating system and the one that do update don't always do it as soon as the update is made available.

In many large organizations updates need to be extensively tested before they are applied to the entire network. So hackers know they have a short window of opportunity to try to use the exploits on large companies. Individual users who flatly refuse to update their systems are just a bonus.

This is not directed at the op personally but not applying updates is a monumentally stupid thing to do.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Windows 8 is horrible! Stay away!

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: texasyeti

I've been using Windows 8 and then 8.1 since last September or so... I reboot once every week or two, maybe, and then just when I notice it lagging a bit. Programs sometimes crash but OS crash is so rare, I can't honestly recall the last one. It happens...to be sure, but in my experience, it's that rare for me. (I had some issues for awhile with Malware but that was user error...not the OS's fault)

Now I'll be the first to say "Metro" tile interface is crap on a cracker unless you have a touch screen. However, I never used 8 in a tile mode, outside screwing around with it a bit in the start. I've always had it in a Win 7 style desktop view.

Just my two carrots in what I know opinions vary greatly on.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Wrabbit2000

I recently got a replacement laptop (no touchscreen) with windows 8.1
At first I hated it!
Now after configuring it like windows 7 I'm very happy with it.

My old system was windows vista. I didnt like it either but adapted and used it for almost 8 years on my old Toshiba Satellite (many it rest in peace)

I think learning any new/different OS puts most non computer sauvey people off (I mean me!)
But, once you learn it and adapt it to your needs and comfort everything is OK again.

P.S. windows updates and security essentials are good!
edit on 17-5-2014 by grubblesnert because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Well I just installed updates.. Now when my computer is at idle, both cores are at 65C and the GPU at 72C...It is crap like this that I was worried about. I stopped unnecessary services but its still running as if I am playing a graphic intense game. Grr!

*edit* Seems to have cooled down now. Not sure what was running in the background.
Firepiston
edit on 19-5-2014 by FirePiston because: (no reason given)

top topics

join