Portland Divests From Walmart

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
For those of you who don't know, the west coast and probably some other areas, have a long standing feud with Walmart because of their questionable business practices in many areas, in addition to issues like traffic problems and impacts on small businesses. Now Portland is putting their money where their mouth is, though this won't stop Walmart from doing business there.

This is always an interesting question- who has more rights? or local governments? I am glad to see someone else calling Walmart out for their shady ways, but I think the dollar amount is too small for them to pay any attention.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
For those of you who don't know, the west coast and probably some other areas, have a long standing feud with Walmart because of their questionable business practices in many areas, in addition to issues like traffic problems and impacts on small businesses. Now Portland is putting their money where their mouth is, though this won't stop Walmart from doing business there.

This is always an interesting question- who has more rights? or local governments? I am glad to see someone else calling Walmart out for their shady ways, but I think the dollar amount is too small for them to pay any attention.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

This is why I think Oregon and Washington should form their our own nation. Or just bring about the Republic of Cascadia into reality.

Just imagine. A nation without Walmart but still has delicious tacos and wonderful landscapes.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

My first thought is "how?" It would almost seem like trying to fight city hall. They easily have more high priced lawyers than the city and I doubt they want to set a precedent of being run out of a town. I'm not defending Walmart, I just don't think the city will have an easy go at it. I suppose they could rezone to commercial-nonretail, but that would take years to actually get them to close shop, assuming the city even won. Could also raise the minimum wage to $30/hr for part time retail workers? They'd have an endaround for that too, not to mention who else it would hurt in the process.

Tough question.

ETA: Didn't read the article. I thought they were actually trying to get rid of their presence. Instead they just took $36M from them. Nope, can't get rid of Walmart
edit on 16-5-2014 by dfens because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

This is why I think Oregon and Washington should form their our own nation.
Then they could vote to rejoin Mother Russia.
I think that is a great idea.
I'm all for it!

edit on 16-5-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
This could actually back fire, badly, remember the TPP......one that gives corporations the ability to sue a government for harming their profit making..............

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: pointr97

......one that gives corporations the ability to sue a government for harming their profit making..............
I'm in favor of getting rid of corporations altogether.
You do realize that corporations are illegal.
What you do to form a corporation is to request a one year exemption from the law.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Yes that evil Walmart...or are they so evil. Yes Walmart has put the squeeze on Mom and Pop businesses but nothing that those same businesses didn't do to themselves with their own greed and selfishness. I worked for Walmart for a short time and didn't like it one bit but they did pay $2.00 over the minimum wage at the time (which ironically its still the same) and they offered insurance and vacation time and an employee discount.

The local business I was working for at the same time paid minimum wage, no insurance, and had the gall to tell me I couldn't work more than 34 hours a week on the time card, of course my schedule called for me to work a minimum of 46 hours a week, yes illegal and yes that's 12 hours a week I was expected to work for free and did for a little while as I needed a job.

I am not going to defend Walmart and the business they do with certain suppliers but they do buy American made products when available. You have to remember that Walmart started as a Mom and Pop store before becoming the over grown behemoth they are today. They do employee lots of people and contribute a bountiful amount of local tax dollars and are very regular with sponsoring local schools and events.

They are one of the best recyclers in the country today and have invested a great deal in America as far as establishing stores around the country. Remember they started in small towns where no one else wanted to be, thus enabling rural Americans to have access to the same products, in some cases cheaper than those of us in urban areas.

Could they afford to pay employees more ? I am sure they could but retailers usually offer the going rate of the communities they are located in,thus Mom and Pop owners are the driving forces of the wages in the communities as they still compete with Walmart for not only business but employees. And many Mom and Pops thrive thanks to Walmart, in a lot of cases as some products Walmart just don't carry them thus a local bussiness fills the holes, for a long time it was Arts and Craft type things like fabric for sewing where I live, so many locals filled that hole and made money until other national franchises moved in, but they have survived.

I guess my point is that for all the bad Walmart is accused of they sure do a lot of good...and as for a city no longer investing money in a proven winner of a stock, its there loss, certainly not going to hurt Walmart

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

. . . nothing that those same businesses didn't do to themselves with their own greed and selfishness.
Are you serious?
Have you ever owned a retail business?
It is hard to get goods from a wholesaler for less than you can buy things on-line.
If you are small, you are stuck with that situation.
Walmart creates a sort of monopoly where they can force suppliers to give them discounts.
This is why there used to be anti-monopoly laws, because it hurts everyone because you have a single entity siphoning off the wealth out of the economy.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: jmdewey60
a reply to: pointr97

......one that gives corporations the ability to sue a government for harming their profit making..............
I'm in favor of getting rid of corporations altogether.
You do realize that corporations are illegal.
What you do to form a corporation is to request a one year exemption from the law.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with the concept of a 'corporation' or 'business' or 'church' or any other organization for profit or not.....I have issue with a company having the same rights as a human, I have an issue with these for profit organizations having complete control over our elected 'Representatives', and I have an issue with the 'Dollar' being given the power of a vote when these organizations are not in it for the consumer, they are in it for the bottom line. Like Walmart and McDonalds, why in the world would they not pay their employees as little as possible when the government will subsidize their profit margin.

If a burger or widget is worth 2 of my out of pocket dollars AND 2 of my tax dollars, then I would gladly pay four out of pocket dollars for that burger or widget while knowing that I have the choice what companies my dollar goes to support....The system now allows shareholders to make a greater profit off my tax dollar regardless of whether their product is worthy or I agree.....A business that is selling an item or service that cannot stand on it's own without relying on constand and steady government support and make a profit is either not a solid business or the product or service isn't that good or profitable......

.....I get the whole 'if we raise min wage the consumer feels the price'.....Bah, we already feel the price, but like most marketing, we aren't aware of it due to smoke and mirrors......We need to get businesses back to a stand alone concept, develop your product, market your product, sell your product by optimizing the product, labor, inventory, distribution, and other expenses to make your profit without my tax dollar reinforcing your labor costs.
edit on 16-5-2014 by pointr97 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Funny thing, this article is exactly the point.....Without the government subsidies, Walmart is still going to expand into the area, which means they are now forking out the funds for growth and not the tax payer......If you had the money to go and buy a burger, wanted a burger, and Bob offered you the money to buy the burger out of his pocket......Why would you spend your own money on the burger?

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: jmdewey60

Are you serious ? Walmart started as one store, its not like they grew overnight. Of course its hard, business is designed to be hard. You act like they are violating some sort of law when they are simply doing business. New ones start everyday and some become big and some fail. Are you going to tell me that as a business owner with buying power that you wouldn't do the same ?

Walmart is not a monopoly by far, as I can shop for the same items at both other national stores and local stores. As far as i know there are no Walmart policeman pulling you into to shop there and only there. Do people look for the best price, of course, me I'm more inclined to shop where its convenient as a couple of dollars is not going to make or break my budget.

Again Walmart is a legal company started by one man who had enough sense to turn it into a big giant that really does not have any advantage over anyone else other than buying power...but guess what...small business still thrives, it just takes good marketing and quality which most people go for over a small savings any day and since Walmart does not always offer the best products, its easy to out m,maneuver them...but the bottom line is they are not breaking any laws nor are they any sorta of monopoly...that's just stupid thinking.

And Government subsides ? Please that local government was investing in a solid company and making a handsome profit from it. In no way was Walmart receiving a subsidy. Portland bought Walmart stock on the open market just as many others do and made a hefty profit from doing so, so nobody was receiving something for nothing.

And I seriously doubt that as a business man that I would be dealing with a supplier like Walmart does, they deal with factories, most small businesses deal with distributors and in many cases can get a better deal on other products that Walmart does not offer, they don't deal with every brand, as a matter of fact they usually deal with cheaper brands where a local guy could deal with a distributor for another brand and sell enough get a better deal than Walmart. Again I'm not going to say they are perfect as they are far from it, like most corporations they could do much better but consumers drive the market and thats you and I, if we don't shop there they eventually close the doors and move on, and its been awhile since I have even been in a Walmart.

edit on 5/16/2014 by DJMSN because: addition
edit on 5/16/2014 by DJMSN because: addition

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Are you serious ? Walmart started as one store, its not like they grew overnight.
In a manner of speaking, it did.
Think about who was on the board, Hillary Clinton, and all that coc aine money they needed to launder from smuggling through Mena Arkansas.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: jmdewey60

Are you kidding ? Walmart started long before the Clinton's and not in a manner....it started exactly as one store by one man.

corporate.walmart.com...

I will give you an example of what Walmart can do for a local community. We have a paper company that was ans still is the largest employer around. They were sinking quickly. They approached Walmart about bringing back paper bags, the local District manager for Walmart though it was a good idea for the environment and the local economy. He took the idea to Corporate who also thought it a good idea. To make a long story short, the paper company now supplies Walmart with paper bags and are in business...also cardboard and even have a line of birthday party supplies they sell in the stores.

Hundreds of people are employed because of that one move....the foresters that cut down the trees...the truck drivers that haul the trees to the paper company....the mechanics that service the trucks...the Mom and Pop gas stations that sell fuel to the trucks...the list goes on and on.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

As a person who has been involved in a few construction projects, you do realize the city decides on everything from plant choice to parking lot ingress and egress, lot size, ADA requirements, etc. The city has to approve all of it to every detail this is why they call it plan check. Then as a requirement you might have to put in traffic signals, street lighting, handicap curbs, repave the street, use the approved subcontractors. It isn't like they woke up one day and said "Holy Crap there is a Walmart on the street and look at the traffic."

Does anyone think the city hasn't spent days, hours, weeks, months and in some cases years deciding the impact on every aspect of a Walmart? Every aspect of the tax implications? There is a reason they call it the planning department. I challenge anyone to build a commercial building in a large city and tell me how easy it was. My personal favorite is gas stations, theres a two year project.

Blaming Walmart for traffic problems is like blaming a Libby Glass for the taste of the water.

Also ask yourself who approves the construction of a walmart or any commercial business that competes with another close by. You telling me planning doesn't know? Planning doesn't already know how many businesses and of what type are already in the city? I tell you they already know not only that, but what color the exterior is painted of all those businesses. They even have colors that are not allowed because it has been used to often, yep and they approved the color in the first place. Go figure. Safety inspectors go by every year for permits to operate an air compressor, fire department goes by every year for safety. It is endless their involvement in your/their business.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   

. . . nothing that those same businesses didn't do to themselves with their own greed and selfishness.
Are you serious?
Have you ever owned a retail business?
It is hard to get goods from a wholesaler for less than you can buy things on-line.
If you are small, you are stuck with that situation.
Walmart creates a sort of monopoly where they can force suppliers to give them discounts.
This is why there used to be anti-monopoly laws, because it hurts everyone because you have a single entity siphoning off the wealth out of the economy.

You are misguided here, walmart and places like Home Depot do what any prudent business person does, yourself included buying in quantity getting better pricing. Do you buy one apple or a bag full? Buy nuts and bolts one at a time or get them by the box or bag.

Home depot buys hot water heaters by the train load, the local supply house where the plumber shops buys them 10 or 20 at a time. Thats why they can't compete. There is no monopoly there just better buying power, and that savings is passed onto the customer, if it wasn't, walmart wouldn't be so successful serving the poor.

These businesses didn't get this way from being evil. They got that way because they worked hard and were very smart. Sam Walton didn't wake up one day with 1000 stores and a million employees, he started with one store. I am old enough "ehem" to have eaten at the original Mac Donalds it was one store with the worlds best fries, there wasn't 10 billion sold. There probably wasn't 10,000 sold. My folks drove us about 20 miles just to get fries.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Walmart products where I live....seem to be kind of low grade stuff....and sure its cheaper.....but who wants to eat stale oreos ?
The name brand stuff aint that muich cheaper, and what is seems old or out of date....
The cheaper brands (no name type stuff) is usually fresher...
The rest of the merchandise is cheap crap too....we have Target, Wallmart,Super store...and the local size grocery stores(three)
I buy from all very selectively now.....and as little as possible...
edit on 17-5-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: MarlinGrace

Sam Walton didn't wake up one day with 1000 stores and a million employees, he started with one store.
I am very skeptical of that.
I mean, it did happen, but these things don't happen by accident.
I already stated how I think it did.
I heard the same thing about Waste Management, that it started with one dude with a truck.
But there were some serious mob connections and money put into it to get it to where it got.
I think the same sort of thing happened with Walmart.
I'm not going to testify with evidence of criminality but I believe there is sufficient circumstantial evidence that ordinary people can look at and come to their own conclusions.
edit on 17-5-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   

a reply to: MarlinGrace

Sam Walton didn't wake up one day with 1000 stores and a million employees, he started with one store.
I am very skeptical of that.
I mean, it did happen, but these things don't happen by accident.
I already stated how I think it did.
I heard the same thing about Waste Management, that it started with one dude with a truck.
But there were some serious mob connections and money put into it to get it to where it got.
I think the same sort of thing happened with Walmart.
I'm not going to testify with evidence of criminality but I believe there is sufficient circumstantial evidence that ordinary people can look at and come to their own conclusions.

You could be right, I am very aware of the mob connections to the rubbish industry, I know of someones involvement there. But I also have a family member in at the beginning at the Warehouse in AK. He started young and through stock options became wealthy as well, he worked his ass of at it but never the less he was brought along through hard work, never has he mentioned it, but that is not to say it isn't true I don't know for sure. Maybe he didn't know. But it isn't something I wouldn't claim unless I knew, and I did know about the rubbish business.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
WalMart's damage has gone so far seems now there's no reverse. My area of the NW kicked WalMart then told them to come back... to bring back jobs again, that WalMart took away by putting local places out of business, in the first place.

a reply to: Cuervo

This is why I think Oregon and Washington should form their our own nation.
Then they could vote to rejoin Mother Russia.
I think that is a great idea.
I'm all for it!

LOL No thanks.
In favor of Cascadia though.
edit on 17-5-2014 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

In favor of Cascadia though.
They would be crushed by Western imperialism.
They would need to join the Russian Confederation to retain their independence from the US.

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join