It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Kiss Seen Round The World

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I follow Gorge Takei online because he is a great guy. He posts funny stuff but he also posts really good blogs.
Like me, George isn't a heterosexual & it is so inspiring for me to see the wonderful life George lives. He is still swimmingly famous despite being gay. I am so glad that the times are slowly changing and he can be accepted for who he is (by most). Seeing the struggles George has gone through, gives me strength to be open about myself and not feel ashamed. After all, there is NOTHING wrong with being a homosexual (or bisexual in my case).

Now people can tell me I'm wrong until their faces turn blue, I'm not going to change my mind. God made me bi sexual & he has 0 problem with me acting on it or not so don't bother wasting my time (or yours) telling me I'm going to hell & God does not approve.

People still freak out about homosexuals being so much in the public eye but guess what, until we get the same freedoms & rights as every other HUMAN (as we are HUMANS) then we will make ourselves public, we will be vocal. Did the African Americans stop because it made some Caucasians uncomfortable? NO. They didn't stop until they became equal & the LGBT community is the same way. It is sad how gay is the new black.

Back to George Takei, I will share with you his blog: (hopefully I do it right so that he gets credit & I don't get in trouble or this thread gets deleted)
George Takei's blog

The Kiss seen round the World - Why Everyone Should Examine Their Reactions To Men Kissing Men

Much has been said about the moment when Michael Sam kissed his boyfriend on national television, as they joyfully and spontaneously celebrated the news of Sam’s drafting by the Rams. They embraced and kissed just like many other happy heterosexual couples do when one of them receives life-changing, great news.
~~~
If you’re someone who finds yourself repulsed by the idea or the image of two men kissing, ask yourself why that is. Ask how someone else’s love, and how they publicly express it, actually affects your life and the enjoyment of your freedoms and liberty. The visceral negative reaction many experience comes down to what I call the “ick” factor–seeing or thinking about something to which we are unaccustomed, and reacting with an “ick.” There are in fact lots of things in life that make people go “ick.” Broccoli, for example, is simply abhorrent to some. But “ick” is never a sound basis for public policy or law. Your own discomfort is just your own issue, and you can’t and shouldn’t make it other people’s problems.

~~~
I’m fairly sure next time an NFL player kisses his boyfriend on camera, it’s not going to get so many people’s panties in a bunch. Then we can finally start talking about how well they play football, and not whether they happen to be gay. But so long as people think a simple kiss is going to end the world as we know it, we sadly do have to keep talking about it, until we finally kick the “ick” out of our public discourse.

– George Takei

George hit the nail right on the head. I can't wait for the day when LGBT can be treated like the HUMANS we are, Not as some horrible monster that will turn everyone else gay & destroy the world.

For my fellow LGBT: Hang in there. If anyone of you are having some struggles & you would like to talk about it you can PM me. I can tell you about coming out to my family, my Mom's surprising response (a good one) & my fears of coming out to my Dad who was raised a Catholic & who has been uncomfortable around homosexual men before. I have been extremely fortunate that I have only had one negative incident & haven't had the struggles that lots can have. (especially if they don't live in North America) One day we will be equal, we just have to stand strong.
edit on Sat May 17 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: knoledgeispower

Nope - can't embed - please embed if you get a chance - www.youtube.com...

It's a great thing.
Two humans sharing their love for each other..Beautiful indeed.

Here are some men that publicly hated the idea of it but in private rejoiced at the chance..

Frazier Glenn Miller
Jan Brewer
Larry Craig
Steve Wiles
Caleb Douglas Hesse
George Rekers
Pastor Eddie Long

Just to name a few....Let the pride shine..
Much love to you OP

edit on 16-5-2014 by Justwatchingyou because: video did not embed properly.

edit on 16-5-2014 by Justwatchingyou because: I think this will embed the video now.

edit on 16-5-2014 by Justwatchingyou because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

The "ick factor" is still very troubling for me. I fully support gay marriage and have never had an issue with it. I've had gay friends growing up and I've even entertained the possibility that I might be into dudes (turns out I'm definitely not) yet, when my friend and his husband comes to town and hangs out to play video games, I feel a little weird when I glance at them and see them share a quick kiss.

I can't explain it. It doesn't change the way I feel about the issue but I have to admit, I have a bit of that "ick factor" myself. Strangely enough, though, two dudes kissing actually bugs me far more than seeing them go at it all the way (don't ask). I think it's facial hair, maybe? I don't know.

Point is this: don't judge somebody if they suffer from the "ick factor". As long as the person isn't making a scene and saying "Ewwww, gross, dudes kissing!", then he should be allowed to feel how he likes privately. If dudes can be born gay, maybe some of us can be born with an ick factor embedded into us. It shouldn't change our values on equality but we also shouldn't force ourselves into trying to like it. Don't judge us for having an ick factor!

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

The "ick factor" is still very troubling for me. I fully support gay marriage and have never had an issue with it. I've had gay friends growing up and I've even entertained the possibility that I might be into dudes (turns out I'm definitely not) yet, when my friend and his husband comes to town and hangs out to play video games, I feel a little weird when I glance at them and see them share a quick kiss.

I can't explain it. It doesn't change the way I feel about the issue but I have to admit, I have a bit of that "ick factor" myself. Strangely enough, though, two dudes kissing actually bugs me far more than seeing them go at it all the way (don't ask). I think it's facial hair, maybe? I don't know.

Point is this: don't judge somebody if they suffer from the "ick factor". As long as the person isn't making a scene and saying "Ewwww, gross, dudes kissing!", then he should be allowed to feel how he likes privately. If dudes can be born gay, maybe some of us can be born with an ick factor embedded into us. It shouldn't change our values on equality but we also shouldn't force ourselves into trying to like it. Don't judge us for having an ick factor!

That ick factor shouldn't be there it's just two people..At least you have the balls to post a message on this thread..This thread has received 5 flags and 5 comments yet no one has spoken or taken the time beyond us to message for or against. Had this been a race thing there would probably already be 3 pages of comments in support of or in counter to.
People rather be perceived as racially for or against rather than sexually for or against yet this topic is just as polarizing.

What gives?? I'm curious..no pun intended.

edit on 16-5-2014 by Justwatchingyou because: added line..typo correction.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justwatchingyou
That ick factor shouldn't be there..

You've made me think about this far more than I ever have before. I never thought of my feeling about it as being a "bad thing" since it's just like you said; no different than somebody's ick factor towards broccoli. That person may fully support the eating of broccoli and wouldn't stop his kids from eating it but it's just not something that appeals to him. I'm not really ashamed of it even though I don't understand it.

But, like I said, what if some people are just born that way? We get mad when a homophobe says it's exculsively a "lifestyle choice" because we all know that nobody would "choose" a life of alienation and prejudice. So... if I was born this way (with the ick factor) with no conditioning from my childhood to feel that way, why is that a "bad" thing? I know gay folks who sneer at straight couples kissing so I just assumed it was an understandable feeling.

I've never voiced my feelings about it in front of my gay friends just because it's in poor taste but I would hope they wouldn't judge me if I did.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Yaaas Gawd take us to church!

i find it strange some will say that two men kissing is disgusting yet they are fine with two Women kissing

Oh and Please stop promoting the Bisexual Agenda!

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Talking to your gay friends about your feelings wouldn't be in poor taste because they're your friends.
Keeping it from them is what is in poor taste, but I say poor taste here though because you used it and is not a reflection of my thoughts of you. I think you're far more along than many in your maturity regarding the subject. Some are born gay some simply go that way.
You like myself and all others are conditioned.
You never saw it on tv until now.
You never heard people openly speak of it until now.
Yet we know that the greeks and romans loved themselves some fresh young boy; yet it's not really spoken of in our textbooks.
It's all about conditioning and what we are taught to accept and not accept- "God made Adam and Even not Adam and Steve".
If you can think back at broccoli - You can maybe remember the shows or cartoons you watched much like I did where I watched kids always say "ugh mom not broccoli" and that stays with us. Therefore if you have never seen it or heard of it, once you are presented with it - than it's alien and unknown and can be shocking.

edit on 16-5-2014 by Justwatchingyou because: typos..added line.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Justwatchingyou

I don't think I explained myself accurately. I get the feeling that you picture me watching two dudes kiss on TV and then me hucking a Coors light can at the screen saying "Oh gawd, why, gawd, why... that kissin' is hurtin' mah freedom fries!" when in reality, I see it and note a slight awkwardness internally. I'm not grossed out by it but "ick factor" is the term we are using here to describe it because that's what people seem to call it.

And perhaps you are right about me needing to get used to it. After all, I eventually plan to extend my services to performing marriages and hand-fastings and I fully intend to perform it for gay folks. It wouldn't look good for me to look away awkwardly when they kiss, hah hah.

Again, though... I think the way I feel about it and the way you think I feel about it are two totally different things. When I see the friend I mentioned with his husband, I do get all giddy and feel their love for one another. I am totally happy to see him happy because I care for him and I love love. Just because seeing it makes me feel awkward doesn't change that.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Fair enough...I don't think you're drinking coors though.
I don't think you see it as a horror otherwise why would you have gay friends?

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
It's unfortunate that this has caused such an uproar.

Honestly, I didn't have any uncomfortable feelings seeing this. What I saw was a college football player getting a chance at living his dream and sharing that moment with his partner.

What makes me uncomfortable is this...

Sadly, many commentators acted with revulsion. Newscasters in Dallas walked off the set in disgust. Conservatives blasted the networks for even airing that moment

They have the right to react that way but the fact that people react that way to what was nothing more than a celebration of a possible life changing moment gives me more of the ick factor than what caused them to act that way.

Hopefully some day, people will get passed things like that.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Starred and flagged. If ATS would let me give this threaf more, there'd be more stars than in the galaxy

When i saw Sam kiss, my reaction was meh it happens, but my family (slighty consrevative country folk) were 'icked' to use George Takei's word

I say good on Sulu and good on you for making it known!

Eta: i'd say something on the trans pov, but we don't matter that much

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I wonder how many Gay and Bisexual people feel disgusted watching a Heterosexual couple kiss?

I don't think Heterosexuality or Homosexuality automatically mean you are disgusted by the other kissing

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   

That kiss didnt bother me at all, its just a kiss for frakk sakes.

Why don't people grow the @#%! UP, It is 2014 not 1914.

I cant comprehend how cities have pride parade, we have shows like true blood or game of thrones that have more then just gay men getting it on plus all the countless movies from hollywood with gay men kissing and even having sex......

BUT ...... If one gay professional athlete kisses his boyfriend its like all hell has broken loose its almost as if the media in the states feels the same way about the lgbt community as Putin and his biggot government.

I am a straight man but I believe everyone has the right to be loved and to love whom ever they want without being ridiculed for it.

I wish you all the best op! Star and Flag for you!

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Why must gay folk feel the need to tell everyone around them their sexual preferences? Just do your job!! I don't go around shouting my sexual preferences at people. It's like you are looking to start trouble because most people aren't gay and you know that they will not wanna hear about it,or they will have an unwanted opinion about it, so you use that scenario to try and forcibly get people to take your side and make it seem like everyone else is wrong and being aggressive. Very bizarre behavior. It's the whole: "sucker punching somebody in the back of the head while screaming help, I'm being attacked" tactic. Why does homosexuals' sexual preferences always have to be forced upon people? You want a pat on the back for it or something?

I don't like to see anyone make out in public. It makes me uncomfortable. Some things should be private.
edit on 17-5-2014 by Fylgje because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Hey there.
I'm sure marriage equality will come. It's on the way ... finally. And once that's in place, people will be getting more used to seeing homosexual couples together. 'New' things take time for some folks.

Note on Gorge Takei - I love it when he shows up on Big Bang Theory in Howards 'fantasies'. It's always fun.

Note on Modern Family - upcoming season finally wedding - looking forward to it. I love that show. (Lilly is my favorite). Even though you say it's a 'sanitized version' of a homosexual couple, it's still nice to see and it helps the older folks feel more comfortable with homosexual marriage. The fact that it's 'sanitized' works well. You don't want to jump in and have a sexually 'R' rated episode ... that's too much too soon and the show doesn't flow in that flavor. A little at a time is more helpful for bringing people along then hitting them over the head with a rolling pin.

That being said. I'm not a fan of ANY sexual public displays of affection by anyone. Holding hands ... fine. Pecks on the lips or cheeks ... fine. Hugging and snuggling ... fine. But the deep throat making out sessions and groping .. no matter who it is .. I find that distracting and unhelpful for story lines. I feel yukky like a voyeur. That's just where I am on all that ...

For the record, the kiss picture of the football fella doesn't raise to that level. I see nothing wrong with it. Eventually, most people won't care either.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

I'm sure Homosexuals can say the same for Heterosexuals..It's every where..Almost every romantic comedy movie poster is two people a male and female loving each other...Games always show a male and female love interest - everything in our standing society is heterosexual based...Is that "pushing it in their face"? Is that the Hetereosexual Agenda?
It's simply not the norm because it's never unless counting greek and roman days, accepted as it is now...Why should it immediately lead to =

"Why must gay folk feel the need to tell everyone around them their sexual preferences? Just do your job!! I don't go around shouting my sexual preferences at people. It's like you are looking to start trouble because most people aren't gay and you know that they will not wanna hear about it,or they will have an unwanted opinion about it, so you use that scenario to try and forcibly get people to take your side and make it seem like everyone else is wrong and being aggressive. Very bizarre behavior. It's the whole: "sucker punching somebody in the back of the head while screaming help, I'm being attacked" tactic."

Seriously you akin two people of the same sex showing affection which sometimes involves kissing and pasion as being sucker punched by it? LMAO - there's no discussion to be had with you - your intolerance is evidence enough of that.
edit on 17-5-2014 by Justwatchingyou because: needed typo correction.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

amen...It's so perfectly fine for lesbians to make out but if I kiss a guy....eeeeeep!!!

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Homosexuals are a microscopic minority living in a mostly heterosexual world. It would be naïve to think that most people wouldn't have an opposing opinion about it, particularly if they make out in public. And I don't ever see most people accepting it as the norm no matter how many marches, or how loud they shout, or how many Hollyweird movies/TV shows portray it as the new norm. There's always gonna be heterosexuals. Humanity depends on it. At one time, homosexuality was considered a mental illness and there were treatments for it. IDK, it's a complicated thing that's gonna stay controversial.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje

Homosexuals are a microscopic minority living in a mostly heterosexual world. It would be naïve to think that most people wouldn't have an opposing opinion about it, particularly if they make out in public. And I don't ever see most people accepting it as the norm no matter how many marches, or how loud they shout, or how many Hollyweird movies/TV shows portray it as the new norm. There's always gonna be heterosexuals. Humanity depends on it. At one time, homosexuality was considered a mental illness and there were treatments for it. IDK, it's a complicated thing that's gonna stay controversial.

Did you just basically tell me their numbers aren't large enough to care about?

posted on May, 20 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Nope. I'm saying that most people in the world are not homosexuals. Many people see it as a mental illness instead of a choice or a right.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join