It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Town's White Police Official Calls Obama N-word - Refuses to Apologize

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Well, I am going to post my response before reading the rest of the thread. This is beyond ridiculous! The waitress is completely wrong, and needs to mind her own business. A conversation in a restaurant is private, and the chief owes no one an apology. He's entitled to his opinion. No complaints about his job performance? No problem. leave him alone.

So. Not a waitress. Not a Chief. There is no expectation of privacy in public. This guy is an elected public official. He was overheard calling somebody a n# and the woman who overheard it decided to write a complaint to the police commission — so people don't have a right to complain and should just "mind their business" or does that only apply to waitresses? The residents of Wolfeboro have every right to express their displeasure over having a police commissioner who is a bigot or don't you agree with that either? Is there any aspect of a free society you do support that doesn't involve using the "n-word?"

Mr. Copeland has a right to free speech and people have a right to be upset by what he says. This is not a First Amendment issue. You've been wrong about basically everything you've said — maybe reactionary commenting isn't the best course of action?
edit on 2014-5-17 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

originally posted by: captaintyinknots
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

I see you are still coming from a place of ignorance on this topic. No one is being fined, imprisoned, or arrested for this. No such laws exist.

Not sure where you are from, but we have a constitution in america that ensures that.

Ok, so there are no hate speech laws in the US? That's odd, I just did a search HERE and a load information comes up.

Cheers - Dave

Well that's a fail. Did you actually look at any of the results? I just Googled "dave is wrong" and "a load of information comes up." Guess that settles it then.

There are no laws in the U.S. against hate speech and I don't think a single person in the nearly 500 posts in this thread has expressed support of limiting the protections of the First Amendment.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
It never fails to amaze me: all the ATS'ers who will defend or make excuses for racist [WORD] who say repugnant things.

This racist made the remark in a public area, it was overheard and reported on. Then this guy acknowledges what he said, and makes it clear that he won't take it back.

So NO, unlike some posters are claiming, what this woman reported is no longer hearsay. The guy admitted he said it.

And I guess everything then is hearsay unless one has a video or audio recording of it; yet such hearsay is evidence in court of law all the time.

But even when someone is recorded saying something racist, like Donald Sterling did, the crypto-racists then claim that he was recorded without his knowledge, which apparently isn't the truth either as Sterling evidently had his "assistant" record all of their conversations. And then DS goes and sticks his foot in his mouth even farther with repugnant statements, yet the closet racists are stilling pushing their already terribly tired lie that this is a privacy issue.

This guy in NH is a racist sack of excrement and he got caught, and moreover he has publicly defended what he said and is proud of it. People defending this guy are real pieces of work.

ATS needs to have a feature that allows members to put a white sheet or pillow case over their avatars.
edit on 17-5-2014 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-5-2014 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I hate all the PC nonsense, but this isn't another case of that.

Every single person here knows the reaction that word get's before using it. It's not a word I'm ever compelled to use. I could find many other insults for people I dislike, including Obama, but I never feel 'n-word' bubble up. It's not a part of my outlook. I think some of you justify it because you feel it.

Being overly PC is freaking out over Uncle Ruckus, or maybe Don Imus, or a joke on Tosh.O. To flat out call someone a 'n-word', then double down with an explanation for why he's a 'n-word', leaves much less room to work with.

One of you said he's not a cop, he's the guy who hires and disciplines. I imagine those two tasks go a good way in shaping the culture of his force. I can't say I'd trust him with those duties. If I had a vote in that county I'd can him. If he was the waiter and said that, I might care less, but not an elected representative of the people. It's unacceptable to go there.

I agree that people need to be thick skinned, but calling people 'n-word's isn't something we need to cling to and defend.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
a reply to: FlyersFan

Well, I am going to post my response before reading the rest of the thread. This is beyond ridiculous! The waitress is completely wrong, and needs to mind her own business. A conversation in a restaurant is private, and the chief owes no one an apology. He's entitled to his opinion. No complaints about his job performance? No problem. leave him alone.

We have "comedians" (I don't find most of them amusing at all), various celebrities, and political activists going around making anti-white comments all the time, and they never apologize, or have their positions threatened as a result. The double standard MUST stop. We have a right to free speech, not a right to not be offended!

You just compared comedians, who typically make fun of everyone, to cops. If your standard for police behavior is equal to comedians, then it's pretty clear where you are having a problem here.
edit on 05am03am312014-05-17T03:37:10-05:0003America/Chicago by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
So. Not a waitress. Not a Chief. There is no expectation of privacy in public. This guy is an elected public official. He was overheard calling somebody a n# and the woman who overheard it decided to write a complaint to the police commission — so people don't have a right to complain and should just "mind their business" or does that only apply to waitresses? The residents of Wolfeboro have every right to express their displeasure over having a police commissioner who is a bigot or don't you agree with that either? Is there any aspect of a free society you do support that doesn't involve using the "n-word?"

Mr. Copeland has a right to free speech and people have a right to be upset by what he says. This is not a First Amendment issue. You've been wrong about basically everything you've said — maybe reactionary commenting isn't the best course of action?

He isn't a "bigot" because he used a word to describe ONE person. The man has no history of racism in his work that anyone can find, no complaints of that, till this one, nothing. One comment, about an elected official that is a bigot himself, and that makes the guy a bigot? No; that makes him a person with an opinion about an elected official who is doing a great job of destroying the country.

Nothing I stated was incorrect. I stated we have a right to free speech, and that is a fact. People do NOT have a right to never hear anything that offends them. If we do, then a LOT of music, comedy, etc. better be pulled and destroyed, and banned, immediately. If that word is so bad, then NO ONE can use it. If someone taking offense is the standard, then the target of that word from this man should resign immediately, because he is offensive to people all the time. He can take some members of Congress with him when he goes, and some from other offices as well. Musicians, comedians, actors, activists, and a lot more people can resign tomorrow. They offend people regularly. Unless you demand that, then you can't say he should resign, or be removed. No double standards allowed.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: mahatche

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

We have "comedians" (I don't find most of them amusing at all), various celebrities, and political activists going around making anti-white comments all the time, and they never apologize, or have their positions threatened as a result. The double standard MUST stop. We have a right to free speech, not a right to not be offended!

You just compared comedians, who typically make fun of everyone, to cops. If your standard for police behavior is equal to comedians, then it's pretty clear where you are having a problem here.

Both are people with a right to speak their minds. Being a cop doesn't mean you lose your right to free speech. This man made a comment about ONE person, not an entire race, and a waitress decided to get herself into the limelight by making a stink about it.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Ya know.. I'm not racist but i say.. if the shoe fits.. wear it.. and in this case..

the shoe does fit..like a glove..

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   
While I'm not in favor of using racist terms and think this fellow is rude and thoughtless, he has that right to free speech. If I were in that community, I would most certainly rally for his dismissal as an employee of the community as a whole.

Here is my comment....free speech is free speech. Growing up, we are all called names. I could list a plethora of them but you get my point. While cruel, rude, and just plain insensitive, why is everything we say becoming a game of is is free speech or not?

Today you can't say this word, tomorrow, let's add these words.... Etc.

What is different between calling someone the "insert racist term here" to calling them a slut, whore, ass?

While all of them are insensitive, they are just words. Yes, words hurt, but they are just words. Despite the current erosion of our current Constitution, we live in an overly sensitive society. Those things I was called growing up helped shape me. Helped me grow a spine. Learn what the realities of life are.

I did not like being referred to in such an insensitive way, but it only showed me that they cannot hurt me. We need to prop up our kids, teach them right from wrong and hope that this serves as an example of what insensitivity exists.

Ty OP for sharing this article as it truly shows the ignorance of one public figure.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Very poor choice of word/s on part of the Police official, however is that not what free speech is all about?

People are entitled to their opinion, the halfwits should just be ignored!

edit on 17-5-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Ummm...I suppose we could come to the waitresses defense and just chalk it up to "see something, say something"...or in this case..."hear" something...a fine logical extension of that particular mentality...

In her defense...I also believe she should be fired.....perhaps then she might consider that her waitressing job does not include making herself a party to the private conversation of the cliental...nor does it invite her to arbitrate whose right to the first amendment should be championed or denigrated...

Perhaps...under further reflection...she might consider that another's right's are not abrogated by the whimsy of her affront...and that perceptions of offense are neither badge.......nor shield to cover ones desire to insulate or infringe...

YouSir

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Sterling was/is an owner to a sports team, the guy in the article is a police commissioner who is in a position of enforcement/authority over others - i believe the commissioner should face some judgement since he is in that position and it shows negligence and hints at hatred, which are traits that should obviously not be shared by people in his position.

Sterling on the other hand... i dont support racism, but i dont think he should lose his team. Its a stupid sport where players pretend to care about their city and team, when they are really just trying to show off to get that big contract at the end of the year. His views are his views, if anything, his attendance record for his team should drop, and his players should file for termination of their contract - but he shouldnt lose his team over a silly sport.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Very poor choice of word/s on part of the Police official, however is that not what free speech is all about?

People are entitled to their opinion, the halfwits should just be ignored!

It's a bit hard to ignore this halfwit as he's a police chief. Using that kind of language is so moronically stupid that I'm amazed that this twit hasn't done it before.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   

I have not read the entire thread and I just dont have time too but I would like to add my two cents.

This man said what he said in a private conversation - yes it was racist but it was what he thought and so he said it to one person. That person got very offended and spread around what the man said... told anyone and everyone who would listen.

And you know what? This police chief could have denied every word, could have said "I never said that" or other such things, he could have tried to make excuse for himself in some way. It was an unrecorded private conversation. But the fact is, he didn't. He said yes - I said that, and it is my opinion. I'm not going to make excuse for having a personal opinion of the president nor will I apologize, that is simply what I think.

Just for that, the fact he is as honest as they come... I would re-elect him. He doesn't lie, he doesn't play games, he is who he is and his word is everything to him. He is re-electable just on that one basis alone.

Anyone can disagree with his opinion - but the fact is - he is an honest man. Those are hard to find in this world. Very hard to find.
edit on 17-5-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Freedom of speech is there to protect the halfwits just as much as the rest of us, probably more so.

If the morons don't get to spew there gibberish then neither does anybody else with maybe something meaningful to contribute.

Granted freedom of speech is a double edged sword with all the pros and cons that come with such a notion, but it's the lesser of two evils. And the alternative doesn't bear thinking about.

Then again the worst parts of Orwell's 1984 are already in full swing, as is plain for anyone with half a mind to see simply by looking out a window.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Oh, freedom of speech is vitally important. This twit has the right to say what he wants. But the people around him have right to use what he said as being grounds for doubting his competence.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   

The fact that we don't have a right to our private conversation's anymore and can be prosecuted or removed from a job only proves that the progressive Marxist agenda of this race baiting administration is working.

The problem is , it seems that if your skin is white you are the only ones being persecuted...or even being reported on for that matter.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Buddy the dude is a Police official there competence is already in doubt, certainly in question these days!

Statements such as the one made just reinforce peoples already derogatory opinion regarding our so-called officers of the law. That being said even this apparently racist individual has the right to herd, laughed at, the ultimately ignored!

Probably on the same page really.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Now this town is supposed to be about 6600 people. That info was on the news. This is one of three police commissioners in the town.

My question is why does a town of 6600 people need three police commissioners?

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   

If someone is a publicly elected official they are fair game for any type of slurs, especially the president of the united states.

It's happened, happens and will continue happen to every president, congressmen, judge, or public figure.

His comment may have been distasteful, but it was a private conversation.

And the waitress, and restaurant could get sued for invasion of privacy tort law.

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join