It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Town's White Police Official Calls Obama N-word - Refuses to Apologize

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
The definition of what constitutes a "private conversation" is not as clear-cut as many are making it out to be. Just because something takes place in a public venue does not mean the conversation is for public consumption.

For example, say the manager of a restaurant wants to talk to the waitress about her late start times and give her a verbal warning, would it be appropriate to do it out on the floor in ear-shot of the customers, or would the conversation take place in a more "private" area? Why or why not?

Another example, what if the President is giving a speech at a conference and a personal aid needs to advise him of a national disaster? Should anyone who overhears the aid's low voice be permitted to report the story if they happen to hear it? Why or why not?

Judging by the context, this was a private conversation, the contents of which should not have been repeated by the waitress.

If the guy was issuing a threat then that would be different.

(post by tsingtao removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I wonder why Hollywood is immune to being accused of racism, there are very few blacks in television/movies.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: mattsawaufo
I wonder why Hollywood is immune to being accused of racism, there are very few blacks in television/movies.

not much talent lately?

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: captaintyinknots

originally posted by: TiedDestructor

a reply to: mwood

Nice try, but not only did the man admit it, but he is still defending it.

Would you rather have him "pretend" to apologize?

You know that's what they do right?

personally I couldnt care less. Its an ignorant statement. Thats all I really need to know, as none of it is up to me.

Ignorant?

His statement reflected his opinion based of his personal knowledge.

You know...like we all do.

Ignorance to me isn't defined by those who choose to remain that way in defiance of arbitrary knowledge.

You couldn't deny this man's substance based off his perception could you?

No!

That would be "ignorant".

edit on 5/17/2014 by TiedDestructor because: '

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: TiedDestructor
Nope. Using that word, in a public place, in a derogatory way, knowing the social landscape we live in, and expecting no reaction, is, indeed, ignorant.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Nope. Using that word, in a public place, in a derogatory way, knowing the social landscape we live in, and expecting no reaction, is, indeed, ignorant.

You mean defiant?

An ignorant person would have apologized right?

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Its subjective. I consider it ignorant.

Why, my I ask, is my opinion on what he is relevant?

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Its subjective. I consider it ignorant.

Why, my I ask, is my opinion on what he is relevant?

Because you choose to debate the subject.

That's enough validation as minuscule as it may seem.
edit on 5/17/2014 by TiedDestructor because: gotta love ats mobile

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
So, in other words, you all have nothing left to debate on the subject but me.

Fair enough. Enjoy.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Fair enough. Enjoy.

You've wore that horse out cowboy.

You can have the saddle.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   

a reply to: bobs_uruncle
The people have every right to speak on that, too.

Though i do think comparing an elected official to an artist is hardly parallel

I didn't say artist, I said rapper, there is a huge difference IMHO ;-) Plus, a town sheriff or police commissioner effects his local area, what, between 1,000 and say 50,000 people. A rapper and the racist crap they spout effects a whole generation in a country, literally millions of people, many of whom are just starting to mature and formulate opinions on society. Tolerance and acceptance is one thing, but having to listen to some idiot drone on and on about "shootin' crackers," their stolen "bling," their "gangsta lifestyle" and their "every woman be whores" is not art, it racist, gender stereotyping and just plain ignorant and obscene.

Art LOL! If you listen to the lyrics and musical construction of some of the 60's, 70's and 80's bands and then to some of the garbage that's falling out of the pie-holes of rappers and things like Niki Menage, you really have to give your head a shake. Man, the bar has been lowered on "art."

Back to racist statements, equality is applying the same rules to everyone equally, no bending the rules or exceptions for race, gender, sexual preference, religion, etc.... One rule fits all or that one rule fits none.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 5/17.2014 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Fair enough. Enjoy.

then anything you say or believe is irrelevant. rght?

so wtf are you doing here>?

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Proofs in the pudding, blacksmith. If you have anything to say about the topic, have at it. Otherwise, it seems you are, inded, trying to deflect onto me for lack of your own argument.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: tsingtao

See the above post.If you have something on topic to discuss, have at it. I will not play this little troll game.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: TiedDestructor

a reply to: mwood

Nice try, but not only did the man admit it, but he is still defending it.

Would you rather have him "pretend" to apologize?

You know that's what they do right?

Why would he need to apologize when he's got a so many people on ATS doing it for him? Looks like the people of Wolfeboro want him gone because they didn't appreciate his bigoted remarks. Shouldn't it matter most how the people of Wolfeboro feel about what their police commissioner said?

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Im not going to debate whether or not rap is art with you. I personally dont enjoy it, but, by all definitions, it is art.

You people are so transparent.

Back to racist statements, equality is applying the same rules to everyone equally, no bending the rules or exceptions for race, gender, sexual preference, religion, etc.... One rule fits all or that one rule fits none.
Theres no 'rule' about it at all, THAT'S THE POINT.

This town has chosen to pressure this man to leave his position, because they question a man that would use that word in public.

Meanwhile, in Arizona, theres a vocally racist sheriff name 'Ol Joe that keeps getting re-elected.

Its called democracy.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: yamammasamonkey
Does calling one white person a cracker mean you are a racist? Does calling one Mexican a wetback mean you are a racist? Does calling one person a Wop mean you are a racist? Does calling one Saudi a camel jockey mean you are a racist? Does calling one single black person a 'n-word' actually mean you are a racist? Maybe he had a good reason to call Obama that.

Why is only one of those terms automatically changed by software? (I typed the n in full) Does that make the software racist?

"Maybe he had good reason to call Obama that" What? So there are good reasons for bigotry? He could have called the President any number of things that wouldn't have been a racial slur but he chose to drop the n-bomb. Seems like he's not only a bigot but a dumbass with a big mouth and no sense of decorum. You on the other hand are spewing epithets for attention.
edit on 2014-5-17 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

The people have every right to speak on that, too.

Though i do think comparing an elected official to an artist is hardly parallel

I didn't say artist, I said rapper, there is a huge difference IMHO ;-) Plus, a town sheriff or police commissioner effects his local area, what, between 1,000 and say 50,000 people.

Again Artists (whether you think it is art or not) serve a totally different function in society then do Civil Servants.

Again, Civil Servants, those we put in authority positions function to maintain civil standards (not so much these days - but that's off topic) expected by all in public stiuations. Artists function to elicit controversy and question the values, more and norms of public society.

Rap certainly elicits a reaction from you - that's what it's supposed to do. I'm not a fan of the misogynistic variety but some rap and hip-hop is quite profound I've found. Some of these artists may be the Dylans and Segers of the day. It took me a long time with a lot of 'suggestions' from young friends to even listen to the stuff - I couldn't understand what the H*** they were even saying - viola - you tube with lyrics solved that problem. I'll never like it, but I can appreciate some of it now.

A lot of the words used are used for shock value - much as Frank Zappa did throughout his career.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   

a reply to: alienrealitythis isnt about supporting obama. This is about a towns right to question whether or not they want him in that position.

Still amazes me that the best arguments you all have are either based on "well that guy did it" or a completely misinformed understanding of free speech.

My entire point was about how this is being put out in media with all the usual pizzazz the media does with these things, (but they only do it when it isn't someone they support, like Obama) Then it is ignored like it doesn't exist..

But now that we have some dopy white cop being overheard saying a thing like this, the media and talking heads are all over this and emphasize things like "should he be removed from his job" etc..

All it is that we see is the usual hypocrisy being performed. And the hypocrisy does in fact include both liberals and conservatives, and knows no real group, i.e., everyone is good at hypocrisy.. Wouldn't you agree? It's pretty obvious in my opinion..

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join