It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Nations Girl chooses traditional medicine over chemo

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Admins if this is in the wrong forum please move.

Hello everybody

This story has become viral up here in Canada and wanted to get peoples opinions from here. This girl has decided to stop chemo therapy as it has become to much for her to handle. This girl has been through more than some of us have (and ever will be) in our lifetime. But now childrens services is looking at this case for the well being of this child.

www.cbc.ca...

Children’s Aid Society investigating

The hospital has referred Makayla’s case to the Children’s Aid Society, sparking fears that she may be apprehended and forced back into treatment.

“We just felt so scared that they could actually come in and remove our children from a home where we are loving them and caring for them and we want what’s best for them,” said Sonya Sault.

The Saults are from the New Credit First Nation near Caledonia, Ont. Their chief and council are supporting the family’s decision.

So what do you all think? Do they have this right to make this decision for "the well being" of this girl?
edit on 16-5-2014 by Shepard64 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   
They are taking her away and putting her back into chemo...because..IMO, If the world finds out that they don't have to go through Chemo and be Traditional, then TPTB loose Respect, Integrity, and Money. and we can't have that happen, now can we.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: SirKonstantin

Well an adult can choose to not go through chemo. The issue here is that she is a child and is being taken away from her loving parents for a decision (not an easy one) that she has made.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Shepard64

She has the right to decide her own treatment.

she will die but its her life.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

So are the parents not the ones who make the decision? It seems they have and TPTB seem to say No No that's Not UR decision really.
This is just sad.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
If anyone forced me to go to chemo .... I'd kidnap them, strap them into a chair, and then blast their veins full of the poison they wanted me to be taking. (yes I know, that's not possible, but that's what I'd want to do). I feel for the child. Sometimes stupid people think they are being helpful, but they just make things worse ....

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: SirKonstantin

Ya the parents are just supporting her decision after a spiritual encounter the girl had in her hospital room. She also says the chemo will kill her before the cancer does. Very sad indeed

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

People die having chemo...

A lot of people in fact.

Her parents are responsible for her. She is an individual human being and can petition her parents and express her wishes, but ultimately she is her parents child, their genetic future so to speak and so it is their dicision to make regarding their own child's treatment..the Government has no business interferring with a choice being made by the girl, her parents and their tribal community.

edit on 16-5-2014 by MysterX because: added info

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
We don't have Children these days. We have little bundles of State Property we are entrusted with watching over for 18 years, so they can then serve the needs of the State for the future of the State. If we don't live up to the State's trust? They'll come take their property back from us and tell us we aren't parents anymore.

Welcome to the Global Village 2.0. Ain't it grand?

* I'd be happy to see this family disappear with their kid. Live in hell or die in a way of ones own choosing? Not for the Government to even HAVE an opinion on. Period.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
in a survey by an american paper 75 % of oncologists said they would not take chemo if it was them
www.heartcom.org...

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   

There is an extremely high probability she will die within 2 years even if she does continue the chemotherapy. In fact she will probably live longer without the chemotherapy and she'll be much healthier for her remaining time on Earth. But her best chance of living is to seek out alternative and experimental cancer treatments.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
It should be her choice.
The government needs to stay out of these types of situations.
They are taking the "endangerment of the child" and using it for any situation that they don't agree with.

But hey, the government (any) is always right, right?

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   

The article said her parents support her decision, so I don't see the problem... It's the parents' decision to make.

My oncologist said he'd crawl across the floor and BEG me to have chemo if he thought begging would do any good. I assured him it would not, to save embarrassment on both our parts...

That was 11 years ago.

edit on 5/16/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
My father is battling cancer at the moment.

A few years back i 100% believed the conspiracy that the only reason they use radiotherapy and chemo is because big pharma is pushing it for profits sake. But here in the UK our national health service is under financial strain and is not run by profit like the US , so we are constantly trying to find cheaper and more effective ways to combat diseases like cancer.

If there was any cheap way to combat the disease that really did work we would jump on it in a second. As the profit margins for cancer treatment in the UK are very low there simply is no advantage to anyone here using chemo and radio therapy if there is a better alternative.

But of course even if there was a cheaper way some pharmaceutical company would have to produce it. There are lots of things that are being tested at the moment. We can only hope there is some big success. To many times things work in the lab or in animal tests and then not in humans.

edit on 16-5-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Chemo has a 97% fatality rate...

When 91% of oncologists will not even use it on themselves, something is VERY obviously wrong with the picture here.

Will oncologists submit to chemotherapy if they are diagnosed? Well, in 1986, McGill Cancer Center in Montreal, one of the largest and most esteemed cancer treatment centers in the world, surveyed 64 oncologists to see how they would personally respond to a diagnosis of cancer.

The results will blow your mind. Are you sitting down? Of the 64 oncologists surveyed, 58 said that... ALL chemotherapy programs were unacceptable to them and their family members due to the fact that the drugs dont work and are toxic to ones system! That's right, 91% of oncologists will not take chemo!!

Jeff Rense interview Ty Bollinger

“Ty, isn't chemotherapy a proven scientific treatment?”

The answer is YES, it is! It has been scientifically proven to fatally poison several hundred thousand people each and every year. Did you know that the overall success rate for most cancers treated with the chemotherapy is a paltry 3%? In other words . . .

“Chemo has a 97% fatality rate”...

The sad fact is that chemo is not only legal, but it is readily accepted by most oncologists as one of the best treatments for cancer. At least that's what the typical oncologist tells the cancer patient....

But in 1986, McGill Cancer Center in Montreal, one of the largest and most esteemed cancer treatment centers in the world, surveyed 64 oncologists to see how they would personally respond to a diagnosis of cancer. The results will blow your mind. Are you sitting down? Of the 64 oncologists surveyed, 58 said that...

“ALL chemotherapy programs were unacceptable to them and their family members due to the fact that the drugs don’t work and are toxic!”

That means that 91% of the oncologists surveyed would not submit themselves to the same protocols that they prescribe to their patients! Is it just me, or does this seem hypocritical to you? I believe that this is not only hypocritical, but it borders on being criminal! They know that chemo will kill more patients than it will help, but they continue to tell their patients that it is their "best treatment option." What a damnable lie!

Chemo Fatalities

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
It's really tough.

1. Children can not decide for themselves to accept/refuse live saving treatment.
2. A parent can not decide for their child to accept/refuse live saving treatment.

Say a husband, wife and child are out for a walk. The child is hit by a car. The ambulance arrives, and as first aid is being administered the parents intervene. They say that any intrusion into the human body is a desecration, and they do not consent to their child receiving any medical aid. So this child is laying on the road, dying, bloody and broken. Should that be allowed? Can a parent decide to "let" their child die? Can a child decide itself if it should die?

It is definitely a sticky issue. When it comes to life and death situations, the default is always life. Nobody can decide to kill themselves, or let themselves die [except in a few circumstances]... so it makes sense then that you also can not decide for someone else.

In regards to this specific case.... I dunno. Chemo is tough... but millions of people survive it. 75% survival rate for this girl. That's pretty hopeful.
edit on 16-5-2014 by LeviWardrobe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

Your siting a poll that was claimed to have been taken 30 years ago.

Chemo has a 97% fatality rate...

Just what do you mean by that? I mean every one dies eventually, so if you are claiming that chemo has a 97% fatality rate then whats the time frame?

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: LeviWardrobe

I somewhat agree, however why would they not let the family try an alternative method?

Before the CAS goes in and removes the child why can't they work with the family to look at the pro's and con's of both treatments. In my experiences, the doctors were not always right, matter of fact we just lost a 52 year old friend to cancer because the doctors mistreated the condition. It is very tough decision for CAS but removing a sick child from a loving family is definitely not the answer especially if another treatment is going to be performed.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Yep. Star for you. If her and her parents got together and made this decision, it was theirs to make. She will die, but it will be on her terms.

I guess there might be some debate if the parents were refusing her treatment even if she wanted it or something along those lines, but it seems to me that the whole family is of one mind.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join