It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution of man in space

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
think of it guys if we terraformed mars in the fairly near future and lived there it would physically change us we would be very week in strength but very tall over 9ft i think.

think of all the different stages of evolution we could take after leaving earth which will eventually happen you could have an x - men scenario (sorry lol the nerd in me )
then all of the different varients of the human race could come back to one planet and breed into a race that would have a lot less limitations than now

the main point in this post was to get your ideas back so feel free to reply

[edit on 29-11-2004 by klain]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
cool thinking

i didn't know that man would be weaker and taller if they lived on mars...

i don't think that the leaders of the world would like this but who knows...

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
yeh the gravity is different cool eh?

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by klain
yeh the gravity is different cool eh?

yeah, i learned that in physics just a couple of weeks ago...

how does this affect our height though???

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
ah ok well there less of a pull on gravity so theres less limitations on growth i think and you would be physically weaker because it would take less effort to move around

if you were 6ft tall and you were trying to climb a mountain which would be better for the gravity tall or short well short is the answer because your closer to the ground there less of a pull of gravity meaning less falls but with the gravity of mars it probably would be the reverse dont quote me on that though lol

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Evolution will not work in this case. If you placed groups of humans on a terraformed mars without technology and waited some thousands of years, then evolution could be a factor.
Remember: Evolution does not change the individual.

All small people would have to die and have no offspring and then a larger type of human can develop.
Same with other features.
So i guess that man will not evolve a bit in space.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   
km not talking about the evolution in that sense scientists say that the gravity is a environmental factor and if three generations of humans were their yes just three the evironmental factors would kick in it would be ok for a while with the extra strength but that would wear off if not used

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Could that evolution on other planets be why there are tall greys and short greys? And do you guys really think that people would except theses martians? People cant except others because of their skin color or facial tendancies. There could evan be a war. And plus would you have sex with someone that was 9 feet tall and weaker then you?

[edit on 29-11-2004 by Croat69]

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   
im sure it will eventually happen our planet does'nt have a great life expectancy we've got to move eventually

o and about the sex i dont know im pretty desperate

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
well, i think itd be closer to 7 or maybe even 8 ft, avg. itll take generations, but itll happen. the low grav makes your bones weaker, but they arent as crushed. its easier to grow taller.

anyway, once you go back to earth, you're stuck. you're not at all ready for the gravity, which feels very very strong, and your bones arent prepared for a lot of the forced. not to mention the judgement errors that will happen, and possibly eliminate you from the gene pool. not the best way to get some good blood into the race, but its cool otherwise.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   
We will be more taller, because gravity pulls us less?

I doubt it. It is not that the gravity is no letting us grow, rather we are growing.

We have a size limit for certain purposes.

For example, take cell size and surface area to volume ratio, as the cell gets bigger, the ratio lessens, which is disaster for the cells.

If we get to be 9 feet, our mechanisms wouldn't be able to sustain our body. Note, I use "our," meaning there could someone out their 20 feet tall, but with different mechanicism.

Surf

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup

I doubt it. It is not that the gravity is not letting us grow, rather we are growing.

well first off, we will be taller immediately, slightly. second of all, lower gravity means the entirety of our body is not as compressed upon itself. this allows for greter development over the generations. there's a limit, but that doesnt mean we've hit it.

i dont get the last part, though, the bolded.

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer

I doubt it. It is not that the gravity is not letting us grow, rather we are growing.

well first off, we will be taller immediately, slightly. second of all, lower gravity means the entirety of our body is not as compressed upon itself. this allows for greter development over the generations. there's a limit, but that doesnt mean we've hit it.

i dont get the last part, though, the bolded.

oops my bad, I mean rather we aren't growing. I think I am dyslexic, I often type the exact opposite things.

Surf

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   

oops my bad, I mean rather we aren't growing. I think I am dyslexic, I often type the exact opposite things.

Surf

it happens to the best of us. doesnt change what i said though

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   
There was a short story I read in English Class, way back in the high school. It was by Orson Welles I think, it was about human colonization of Mars.

I think it was called "Tall they were, and golden eyed"

Some 50-60 Years ago when he wrote this story, he suggeted that humans on mars evolved taller, and soon all of their native vegatation which was brought with them mutated as well.

After some time in the story the humans, became "maritans" and all of their vegatables became martian vegatables. Then the humans moved into the "Martian Ruins" to complete their eventual evolution to tall, golden eyed people.

Just Thought I'd add this,

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   

I am sorry, but when was the last time you saw a 7 foot height man?

We have a restriction because our bodies aren't capable of going more, not because of gravity.

We defied gravity to become 6 feet, 2 or 3 feet wouldn't be all that tough.

Surf

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Thinking about evolution on Mars and the Moon, now imagine someone evolving after many generations in freefall (0 G).

Given enough time would the evolve into mostly-boneless morphing people? Like big amoebas with eyes and maybe fingers and hands?

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   

I am sorry, but when was the last time you saw a 7 foot height man?

We have a restriction because our bodies aren't capable of going more, not because of gravity.

We defied gravity to become 6 feet, 2 or 3 feet wouldn't be all that tough.

Surf

artest video.
people are steadily getting taller, thats happening. but once we move to lower gravity, the ability to lengthen increases, you can definitely increase the torso length. what im getting from you is that we're restricted, but we can get 2 or 3 more feet? thats at odds with itself.

slank - no. wed have bones, wed keep it all. wed just be taller (or not). wed lose our bones if there was a good reason to, like we suddenly got wings and needed to weigh less. but for now, theyre a good system

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank
Thinking about evolution on Mars and the Moon, now imagine someone evolving after many generations in freefall (0 G).

Given enough time would the evolve into mostly-boneless morphing people? Like big amoebas with eyes and maybe fingers and hands?

Hmm. Mars doesn't have 0G, it has G, smaller than earth, still not that small.

Surf

posted on Nov, 29 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I'm going to be the first zero-G boneless chicken rancher in space. Any interested investors. (teasing) It may very well happen provided you can deal with free-floating chicken sh*t.

Maybe we can put butt tubes on them?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join