It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top 10 Cannabis Studies the Government Wished it Had Never Funded

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Weed don't make you stupid. I've seen people like this from smoking the stuff. Kinda hard to hold a job when your fried.

I better remove this video the mod nazis might get me.
edit on 16-5-2014 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AfterInfinity
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Stoned spiders couldn't catch a fly if it gave them a lap dance.

Perhaps stoned spiders just want to be friends and have a meaningful chat with the fly, without the usual violence of day to day survival.

Spiders for peace.

edit on 16-5-2014 by MysterX because: added info

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: stirling

The real reason the stuff is vorbotten is because it is a DEPROGRAMMING substance......
That's a fact....
cant have free thinking drones you know....

When I came back from the Army I allegedly used this effect to great advantage. Once you hear something a least 3 times it gets stuck in your brain whether it is true or not.. freeing yourself from the used pathways of the brain gives you the option of deciding whether old memories are true or not.

From the first time, I was like oh, that's why this is illegal. From there my conspiracy mind was born.
"They don't want me to think?"
"what do they not want me to think about?"
"hmm I'll start with whatever they say is bad."
"wait I am a free man and will bow to no one."
"I want to wake other people up."
"what does waking them up mean?"
"giving them freewill."
"freewill is only useful in the presence of the truth."
"search for and spread truth."
"oh dang their mind is blocked...."
"how do I un-block their solidified mind (knowledge/propaganda) ??"
"back to the start, light it up."

This life is YOURS.
Don't wait for me or anyone else to give you permission.
edit on 16-5-2014 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
It's completely clear to anyone who has studied that actual medical profiles of marijuana that it is a very safe drug. For example, the toxic envelope, or gap between the threshold of marijuana that creates desired effects, and the threshold of toxicity is MASSIVE. It would take something like 1000 doses of marijuana to overdose. Moreover, it's addiction level is very low, mostly just psychological.

Contrast this with legal drugs such as alcohol, which has a toxic envelope that is very small. The gap between getting a buzz with alcohol and getting alcohol poisoning is very small. If it takes four drinks to get a buzz it only takes 15-20 often to get alcohol poisoning. Death can occur above that level.

Similarly, alcohol is one of the most addictive substances. Once a person is truly physically addicted, withdrawals are more intense than heroin and people can literally die from alcohol withdrawals.

It's clear that compared to many legal drugs, it makes no sense that marijuana is illegal.
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
And my thread that was removed in the allowed section back then was the government cancer agency study, that cannabis killed cancer tumors 60%.

www.cancer.gov...

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: IceHappy

We can't have any kind of rational decision making in the U.S. Government, it is much too arrogant of a place for that.

Better to jail soft criminals and waste taxpayer money than be forced to examine flaws in American thinking.

edit on 17amSat, 17 May 2014 02:41:01 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome
Weed don't make you stupid. I've seen people like this from smoking the stuff. Kinda hard to hold a job when your fried.

I better remove this video the mod nazis might get me.

I'm guessing that religion has more of a negative effect on intelligence than the subject of this forum.

That is an educated opinion as well, so I'm willing to hold myself to it.
edit on 17amSat, 17 May 2014 02:45:19 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I must reply to this thread regarding the use of illicit and/or legal use of marijuana.

I do not, and hope to never have to, utilize marijuana in my lifetime.

That being said, going to the OP is that it is beneficial in a medical capacity. I've seen reports and have seen results in the use of it for patients suffering from a variety of situations. While I do not condone of it in a social situation, I believe it, like many pharmaceuticals, have a place in the world of medicine.

What I question most about those folks who vehemently oppose the use of such 'natural' remedies and advocate "synthetic" medications. I'm not for or against legalization of marijuana, just objectively looking at as a better option for pain and nausea in many long term suffering patients. People pop opiates, narcotics, and mood enhancers daily to fuel their issues. I find the long term effects of those pharmaceuticals to be far worse than a little marijuana. Either way, the article linked by the OP and countless others that I have read, make me realize that we shouldn't be so closed minded on the potential benefits.

On that note, alcohol is a part of everyday life and is legal. How many folks do you know that have suffered from the effects of alcohol? How many lives lost and/or irrevocably changed due to the never endings cycle of alcoholism?

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

Watching humans destroy the Earth and each other is slowly ruining my life, weed could only ever help mitigate the effects. Seriously, every day people are killing and raping each other for money and people want to treat weed consumption like any kind of issue at all. It will stop being an issue when all the brainwashed zombies stop complaining about it, because it's painfully obvious that use will never be curbed.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mommymomo

How would you deal with physical pain as a result of traumatic injury or cancerous developments? Opioids? I shouldn't have to point out that opioids are habit forming (more so than THC, compare withdrawal symptoms) and corrosive to the stomach lining and liver.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I agree with some of these results. It won't ruin our life, however someone who doesn't make it, may just have that tendency to not make it. If smoking pot is more of a concern than owning a house, then even without the pot, they would have some reason as to why. It's all about the person. Can't come soon enough for them to legalize this in every state. To many positive uses for this cash crop, if anything, tobacco should be outlawed. a reply to: ChaoticOrder

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: centhwevir1979

originally posted by: Mommymomo

How would you deal with physical pain as a result of traumatic injury or cancerous developments? Opioids? I shouldn't have to point out that opioids are habit forming (more so than THC, compare withdrawal symptoms) and corrosive to the stomach lining and liver.

My point is, I hope to never have to endure that pain that deems it necessary to utilize marijuana. I do not advocate usage of opiates. I think you need to retread my entire post. I said I feel that marijuana does have a place in this world. I would prefer marijuana over opiates.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye

You can find some positive, i can find some negative.

Who's right then?

CLICK ME

The study found that frequent marijuana users performed worse than non-users on tests of cognitive abilities, including divided attention (ability to pay attention to more than one stimulus at a time) and verbal fluency (number of words generated within a time limit). Those who had used marijuana for 10 years or more had more problems with their thinking abilities than those who had used marijuana for five to 10 years. All of the marijuana users were heavy users, which was defined as smoking four or more joints per week.

The study involved people ages 17 to 49 taking part in a drug abuse treatment program in Athens, Greece. There were 20 long-term users, 20 shorter-term users and 24 control subjects who had used marijuana at least once in their lives but not more than 20 times and not in the past two years.

The marijuana users performed worse in several cognitive domains, including delayed recall, recognition and executive functions of the brain. For example, on a test measuring the ability to make decisions, long-term users had 70 percent impaired performance, compared to 55 percent impaired performance for shorter-term users and 8 percent impaired performance for non-users. In a test where participants needed to remember a list of words that had been read to them earlier, the non-users remembered an average of 12 out of 15 words, the shorter-term users remembered an average of nine words and the long-term users remembered an average of seven words.

WOW!! How odd,its the same way with people who are drunk!!

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
What about the psychological effects?

Getting high could be slowly ruining your life if they are right about that.

Now i wont put my own opinion in here since thats against the forum rules.

Like I said in a thread yesterday, what bearing does this have? When alcohol is legal, a substance that causes far more harm, how can the possibility of psychological effect, which to my knowledge haven't even been proven to exist beyond a reasonable doubt, be used as justification for legalization or keeping it illegal? We cannot use an argument for one substance and not another. So if we are basing our decisions on the potential effects of a substance, then we should make alcohol illegal. And if that will not be done, then a government cannot use it as justification in my opinion.

I don't condone the use of the substance myself, but I will definitely defend the side of common sense.

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
A ancient Mongolian descendant (medicine man) is discovered in a shallow grave
found with a satchel of MJ estimated to be over 2500 years old.
I am a firm believer in Mother Nature.
so with that said.. I am with the med man

posted on May, 17 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Some personal observations, that make me disagree with 8.

I would first like to say that having 20% of the people in jail over pot is ridiculous. Extremely expensive and life ruining for a lot of people. A hell of a lot worst than smoking pot.

With that said, really? A study on two people? When I look at the people in my life that have been habitual pot smokers I would not trade my life's success with theirs in every case. It seems that pot just saps one's ambitions and drive, and it does it in a way that the smoker will never see it, denying everything that anything is different.

Another thing I find very common is that a habitual pot smoker tends to lose track in the middle of a sentence and has limited short term memory. This seems to be continuous and not when they have recently smoked.

Though drinking is considered bad if done in the morning, at work on a break, driving etc it seems pot smoking is common under all these conditions and I think pot smoker's have the wrong attitude as to when they should, or should not smoke. I drink and I smoke cigars but I do it when I'm relaxing and I not going to do anything else for that day.

I also think there is a direct correlation between smoking pot and school performance. I don't think it is all that uncommon to see a kid go from decent grades to very poor grades when pot use becomes a part of their lives.

One can quote all the studies they want to justify their smoking, but my 50 plus years of observations shows a different pattern, and I really do not have a lot of issues with those who do smoke. I voted here in WA to legalize it for the main reason of those in jail and the switch from drug cartel making money to a honest business that is taxed as the better scenario for all.
edit on 17-5-2014 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Hi, Just sharing my opinion.

I am one who has smoked lots of MJ for decades; now just an occasional smoker.

I'm pro marijuana, but I don't think marijuana is for everyone, and definitely not the general public. It's ok for certain types of people with certain states of mind.

Chronic (daily smoking for many consecutive days) can definitely lead to various detrimental states of mind and activity, especially if you start to smoke from early on in the day. It can cause depressed states and/or anxiety fear or panic, not necessarily with any reason (certain strains/genetics more so than others). I think it is only good occasionally.

Maybe they should have some sort of mandatory education on MJ (especially on edibles) before you are allowed to buy it, with information like I mentioned.

I am also not a fan of the recent trend of not curing the weed. Uncured weed is harsher on the throat, and the emotions. Cured weed is mellower both for the throat and mind. I think many people pass up curing because, one: it takes more work, space and time; and two: to get a nicer looking bud with more potency to increase sales revenue; however the quality of the experience is being compromised. Curing should be mandatory.
edit on 18-5-2014 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX
a reply to: Mianeye

There are hospital wards and care homes that are full of people in their 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's who have never smoked, never drank alcohol and never taken drugs except pharma drugs...sufferring from degenerative brain diseases which are killing them slowly and robbing them and their families of treasured memories and dignity.

There is plenty of evidence that shows Cannabis (THC and other cannabinoids contained in MJ) at least, does indeed protect against neurological and degenerative disintegration if used soon enough by coating neurons and providing a protective effect . Have you ever seen a Parkinsons sufferer use MJ?

There was a BBC news segment some years ago, which featured a young ex-gymnast (in his 30's i think) who had developed Parkinsons to such an extent, he couldn't even put his own underwear or socks on the tremors were so bad...couldn't do anything for himself in fact.

Then the BBC filmed him taking several draws on a Cannabis cigarette...after a few minutes, it was as though the Universe had flipped a switch and taken away the Parkinsons...he was basically symptomless. The tremors went, and he was able to dress, to feed himself and to walk around unaided...he even did a few forward rolls and other gymnastics.

There are other studies available to researchers that show this protective effect on brain and nerve cells, slowing down or possibly even halting damage done by these terrible diseases if used regularly and soon enough.

Some further reading of interest:

From Canada.

A Canada Health Study was produced on Hemp farming and effects of Cannabinoids including THC, with a view to legalising Hemp farming (which they did in 1998), a review was conducted in 2001 by James Geiwitz, Ph.D., and the Ad Hoc Committee on Hemp Risks.

CBC Canada

Studies that have attempted to find brain damage from THC have been unsuccessful. Marijuana levels of THC do not kill brain cells. In one study, monkeys were forced to inhale five marijuana cigarettes a day for a year; there was no evidence of brain damage (Zimmer & Morgan, 1997). In humans, with brain damage assessed by CAT scans, no damage was observed in spite of the high dose: nine marijuana cigarettes a day.

And this is from the National MS Society's Research and Clinical Programs Department;

MS Dream Team research

* Further studies with compounds related to cannabis have provided evidence of neuroprotective effects and support an ongoing clinical trial in progressive MS (see below, "From cutting edge to clinic").

and

* A large multicenter study is investigating whether the active compound in cannabis, THC (tetrahydro-cannabinol), can slow MS progression. This effort is being coordinated by John Zajicek, MD (Peninsula Medical School, Plymouth). This study is now fully recruited and results are expected in late 2011. "This is essentially a phase 3 study," says Dr. Giovannoni. "If the results are positive, the compound is likely to be licensed for use in progressive MS."

So, propaganda aside..there are many studies that THC from Cannabis actually looks to be slowing the progression of neurological / brain diseases rather than causing them as negative propaganda would have us imagine, and provides a neuroprotective effect. It is a promising direction for research into these afflictions and other dibilitating or terminal diseases.

I have an old friend from school that I hung out with a few months back. I actually smoked a bit of cannabis with him, and had a few beers as well. And some how along the way he started talking to me about how one of his co-workers/friends has a mom with MS (Multiple Sclerosis.) I actually know his friend as well from school, and hung out with him a very long time ago quite a bit when I was in middle school. But haven't talked to him in years.

Anyway, he told me one day his friends mother (the one who has MS.) mumbled a small sentence to him. What she roughly asked him was: "Can you make me some brownies?" Of course she was asking for weed brownies. So he made some for her. And after she had ate some. She was actually able to walk around without feeling the pain that she normally would. It was nearly a miracle, since shes had to use a walker or wheel-chair for years.

Not the first time I've heard of this kind of thing happening though. I've seen all kinds of people with things such as cancer, MS, Chrohn's disease, epilepsy, Glaucoma, and so much more, be helped so much by such a simple plant.

Cannabis has the potential to treat more conditions than any other Pharma drug on the market. No other drug comes anywhere close. And it is much more safe than unnatural, crude concoctions of synthetic drugs.

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: IceHappy

Thank you for your post SnF

Perhaps its time the government release the pot smokers who are only guilty of owning it and smoking it out of prison and esponge their records so that they can get own with their lives. Perhaps with a waver that they would not seek compensation as freedom and new current laws would allow them to become tax payers rather than system burden.

IMHO this would be a win win situation to both unjust jailed smoker and tax payers....

Just a thought... thanks again for your wonderful post!!!

Never will I understand this line of thinking... You do know that not every dealer is a gang banger right? You know that selling something isn't bad right? How about we leave the alcohol drinkers alone but arrest and imprison the owners of jack daniels? Or smirnoff etc... Infact we should imprison the work force too as they are making this alcohol DRUG! You see, anyone the makes or sells alcohol are drugs dealers!!!

So some single mum decides to better her life by supplying people that WANT a particular drug, you think she should be locked up for 10 plus years... Locked up at all!!! It just beggers belief!

If it is okay for jack daniels makers/owners to sell drugs then it is OKAY to sell any drug! Stop the double standards BS!

posted on May, 18 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Meee32

originally posted by: IceHappy

Thank you for your post SnF

Perhaps its time the government release the pot smokers who are only guilty of owning it and smoking it out of prison and esponge their records so that they can get own with their lives. Perhaps with a waver that they would not seek compensation as freedom and new current laws would allow them to become tax payers rather than system burden.

IMHO this would be a win win situation to both unjust jailed smoker and tax payers....

Just a thought... thanks again for your wonderful post!!!

Never will I understand this line of thinking... You do know that not every dealer is a gang banger right? You know that selling something isn't bad right? How about we leave the alcohol drinkers alone but arrest and imprison the owners of jack daniels? Or smirnoff etc... Infact we should imprison the work force too as they are making this alcohol DRUG! You see, anyone the makes or sells alcohol are drugs dealers!!!

So some single mum decides to better her life by supplying people that WANT a particular drug, you think she should be locked up for 10 plus years... Locked up at all!!! It just beggers belief!

If it is okay for jack daniels makers/owners to sell drugs then it is OKAY to sell any drug! Stop the double standards BS!

And for your information, alcohol/tobacco amongst the worst, most damaging drugs there are!

For the record I have sold weed and I am very proud of what I did! I was very good at growing and selling weed and my customers were very satisfied and very happy with my service! No-one died or got ripped off! No-one got sold dodgey crap! I was providing a service for which people were very happy. But you say I should be in a cage! Lmao...

Please explain why I should be in a cage, as a drug dealer...
edit on 18-5-2014 by Meee32 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join