It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Speed of Light Challenged!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2002 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Australian scientists have proposed that the speed of light may not be a constant, a revolutionary idea that could unseat one of the most cherished laws of modern physics � Einstein�s theory of relativity.

www.msnbc.com...

Since I don't know that much about physics (yet), I would like to hear some of your comments and thoughts about the viability of this suggestion.

posted on Aug, 8 2002 @ 02:18 PM
link   
This idea has been considered at least once or twice before... at least in theory.

The basic idea is that the speed of light is still indeed a constant, but a relative one that may depend on the overall size or density of the known universe. At the moment of the "big bang" when the universe was small, the speed of light may have been infinite, or nearly infinite. Over time, the speed slowed down as the universe expands.

This is somewhat related to a time theory in that the "speed" of time also depends on factors determined by the size or density of the actual universe. As the universe expands, time slows.

As I understand these concepts, they don't much effect relativistic theories, only the value used for the speed of light.

Interesting stuff.

posted on Aug, 8 2002 @ 08:00 PM
link   
A lot of the issues we dicussed in the thread "Light Speed no Brakes" are related to this matter. The article's presented to the masses simply does not do the actual research justice.

posted on Aug, 28 2002 @ 01:45 PM
link   
i heard picograviton is faster than speedoflight

posted on Sep, 4 2002 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Most of the physics principles that we are all taught in schools and universities are obselete and out of date when one takes into consideration all of the breakthroughs in the alternative technology field of research. The laws of physics dictate that bees can't fly, but they do. I'm not saying that Einstein was wrong, but he may not have been completely correct either.

posted on Sep, 4 2002 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Oh, what would physics be like today if Einstein was around using todays computers.

TN1

posted on Dec, 19 2002 @ 12:25 PM
link   
As the matter of fact from the beggining of our universe the speed of light is not the same as it is right now.We expect the speed of light to be much higher at the time of big bang ,earlier matter and radiation where trapped together in a form of matter that noone knows and it will be important to find in the future.Now it seems more likely that the speed of light reduces with time and everything reduces with time !!!Only the space -time is increasing ..The Microwave backgroung radiation it is niow 2.7k ,...

posted on Dec, 20 2002 @ 06:51 AM
link   
You all saw, I was the first to challenge the speed of light!!!!! DIE AUSTRALIANS!!! DIEEEEEE!!!!

*I'm Einstien and Stephen Hawkings, trapped in a body too young to be heard*

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Dec, 20 2002 @ 07:06 AM
link   
It's long been known that the speed of light was relative to many factors.

Too young for perspective seems more like it.

top topics

join