It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Meteor Shower Next Weekend Due to Comet 209P/LINEAR

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
a reply to: wildespace

Trolling? Only if answering a question which has an obvious answer with a nonobvious answer is trolling. Momma didn't raise no troller, no sir. And if standing under a streetlight makes the meteors appear out of nowhere, who are you to judge? I'm taking my laser pens with me outside when I see them, so I can light them up, and write my name on them in light before they evaporate into solar system dust and glide to earth on the wind.

So it seems that the "obvious answer" that you could only comprehend from my post had to deal with darkness, and that was not the question at all. The question had to deal with location, as in Afghanistan, and what would be the difference of my view from of that spot of the earth compared to the better view area of north America.

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Then my apology, you are right. The dark sky comment threw me off, and I didn't think of location. I've read that they will be best seen in North America, but the OP has a link to a timetable which might be useful. And since this is a new shower, anything is possible. Head out when it's dark and see if you have the trails where you are. In the U.S. they will be looking in the middle of then night, so I don't know how many people will venture out to actually see them.

edit on 22-5-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Then my apology, you are right. The dark sky comment threw me off, and I didn't think of location. I've read that they will be best seen in North America, but the OP has a link to a timetable which might be useful. And since this is a new shower, anything is possible. Head out when it's dark and see if you have the trails where you are. In the U.S. they will be looking in the middle of then night, so I don't know how many people will venture out to actually see them.

I'm 9.5 hours ahead of the east coast so when the sun comes up here at 5 AM it will only be 8 PM there. Maybe I'll still see something good.

But believe me when I say dark I really mean pitch black out here hehe, so that might give me an edge over most populated parts of the US.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 05:41 AM
link   

You might not see the peak of this shower, but being under such dark sky must be really nice when just viewing the "average" night. You must be able to see the Milky Way every time it's clear, where in some parts of this modern-and-improved world entire city populations grow up without ever seeing it.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   

You might not see the peak of this shower, but being under such dark sky must be really nice when just viewing the "average" night. You must be able to see the Milky Way every time it's clear, where in some parts of this modern-and-improved world entire city populations grow up without ever seeing it.

The Milky Way is so bright it looks 3D. Always makes me wonder how crazy the sky looked in the times we didn't have light pollution as we do today.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Reading your post actually brings a quick tear to my eye. I've seldom seen the sky like that. And to realize that everyone had that experience before electricity "improved" our lives. If I were King of the World (I'm not?) I'd make every light go off for at least an hour or at least ten minutes a month, so people could actually see the sky.

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Looks like moon rise here is 3:00am. If the cloudy cover doesn't form then it should be good for viewing.

I can see the Milky Way on moonless nights. It is beautiful.

edit:

Friday Night

Overcast in the evening, then mostly cloudy. Low of 68F. Winds from the SSE at 5 to 15 mph.
edit on 5/23/2014 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
More on the show
news.yahoo.com...

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Live stream...

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 01:32 AM
link   
While I might be a little early in calling it, it would appear that this never seen before meteor shower remains never seen before. Looks like a bust to me.

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

its not even supposed to START til BETWEEN 2-4am...for central time , that is...I know it's easy to get anxious but don' give up just yet

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Dang...

It's turning out to be a no-show thus far.

I have a perfect view of Camelopardalis and have been out there for the past couple of hours. Gorgeous dark skies where I live with no light pollution, but no streaks across the sky as of yet.

It's 3:30am CST now and I'm running out of hot chocolate...

posted on May, 24 2014 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I saw 15 all night and about have where not from the Cams its disappointing but thats astronomy for you you don't really know until it happens.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join