It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 Months Since Legalizing Marijuana, Here's What Colorado Looks Like

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Great, then there is really no issue. Again, if you think it should be illegal, come to Colorado and do your best to change the law. If you believe it's as addictive and harmful as alcohol etc, then come here and start a rehab program specifically targeted to troubled, addicted, and afflicted MJ users. Otherwise, I don't think you'll convince too many people that MJ is as horrible as you think it is.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder

No, I was implying that weed can do much more than make you hungry, which is what the poster said. He said that is the ONLY POSSIBLE side effect.

Well then that poster obviously is wrong, because it can make your speech slurred, it can make you unable to walk, and in some rare circumstances it can make you insane. I'm not going to deny any of those things. Alcohol can also make your speech slurred, it can make you unable to walk, and it can also kill you, and it does all those things much more easily than MJ will.

If you want to claim alcohol as negative side effects I won't argue. No one will. The problem is people arguing MJ doesn't. Alcohol will also cause dementia. Both Alcohol and MJ are linked to permanent long term psychiatric illnesses.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep

Great, then there is really no issue. Again, if you think it should be illegal, come to Colorado and do your best to change the law. If you believe it's as addictive and harmful as alcohol etc, then come here and start a rehab program specifically targeted to troubled, addicted, and afflicted MJ users. Otherwise, I don't think you'll convince too many people that MJ is as horrible as you think it is.

I am not trying to argue any of those things and could not care less. I am merely trying to correct the lies being spread by the pro MJ crowd that MJ can do no harm and has zero negative consequences associated with it's use. That is wrong, it's a lie, there are.

As to the rest, I could not care less other than the knowledge part which is in seeing what the long term side effects will be from the legalization. It should be interesting.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   

If you want to claim alcohol as negative side effects I won't argue. No one will. The problem is people arguing MJ doesn't.

Only a fool will argue that MJ doesn't have negative side affects, and you focus on debating those people because you know you'll win and it makes your arguments against MJ stronger. But it's also true that MJ is a lot less hazardous than other drugs which are already legal, that's the point these posters are trying to get at. But the issue here isn't whether or not MJ has negative side effects, we all know it does. The real issue is whether legalization does more harm than good, and you are side stepping that issue to debate irrelevant points. All the evidence strongly indicates that legalization is better for society, and if you don't agree with that claim than lets debate it.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   

If you want to claim alcohol as negative side effects I won't argue. No one will. The problem is people arguing MJ doesn't.

Only a fool will argue that MJ doesn't have negative side affects, and you focus on debating those people because you know you'll win and it makes your arguments against MJ stronger. But it's also true that MJ is a lot less hazardous than other drugs which are already legal, that's the point these posters are trying to get at. But the issue here isn't whether or not MJ has negative side effects, we all know it does. The real issue is whether legalization does more harm than good, and you are side stepping that issue to debate irrelevant points. All the evidence strongly indicates that legalization is better for society, and if you don't agree with that claim than lets debate it.

That is false. My post was a reply to the debate between the mods. THEY argued with me. This was my post, and it was not a reply to any of them. I flat out said pot was not toxic. My entire post was about what the long term side effects will be. I never even attributed any. They attcked my post stating there are none. I defended my position there are, that is all. Having come in at the middle I can see why you would not know that, but that is what happened.

Well the real question will be long term psychiatric effects due to marijuana usage. As far as pot being toxic, it isn't. So ingesting it should have no ill effects. It DOES alter brain chemistry though, permanently so.

edit on 16-5-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   

They attcked my post stating there are none. I defended my position there are, that is all. Having come in at the middle I can see why you would not know that, but that is what happened.

Fair enough then, if you were just standing your ground then I apologize for my incorrect assertions. But just to be clear what exactly is your stance on this issue? Do you think both cannabis and alcohol should be outlawed or do you think legalization of cannabis is beneficial?

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Completely agree with you.

The flood of negative propaganda, even if it is total nonsense was a certainty though really.

Who's originating the propaganda? I would look towards those who stand to lose the most out of enlightened policies regarding RMJ and MMJ...namely the phama and alcohol industries.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   

They attcked my post stating there are none. I defended my position there are, that is all. Having come in at the middle I can see why you would not know that, but that is what happened.

Fair enough then, if you were just standing your ground then I apologize for my incorrect assertions. But just to be clear what exactly is your stance on this issue? Do you think both cannabis and alcohol should be outlawed or do you think legalization of cannabis is beneficial?

I think there are risks associated with both. People should be informed of the risks and make an informed decision. If they decide to use a drug and it destroys their life I should not pay for them with my tax dollars. It was their risk, not mine. Perhaps a tax on all products sold can be put into a fund to help those who have extreme adverse reactions. People have the right to do what they will, they do not have a right to be a drain on society because their decisions were poor.

Just an FYI about me, I drink, I usually have 1 drink, sometimes 2, very rarely 3, and never more, I have never been drunk in my life, ever.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   
My shift is ending, I will check again in an hour if I remember before bed.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Just saw this thread, and thanks to The Tenth for publishing it. Nice work. With more of a spotlight on this issue, at least in the States, the myths are falling away and the factual data which remains is surprising quite a number of people. Prohibitionists control the flow of information for a long time during these historical periods, and then, once a certain threshold is reached, the propaganda falls due to its own lies. And for anyone to be in prison now because of a nonviolent marijuana "offense" is beginning to look like a political prisoner situation.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I'm just wondering was there something else wrong with the kids?

I mean there might be a remote chance that a kid could overdose on thc but it's more likely that the hospital will get the blood tests back see a small amount of thc in the blood and decide oh it's a drug overdose and look no farther.
This happened to a child I knew once then months later the child was rushed to the hospital again with the same symptoms (a seizure) and there was no thc in the blood and they had to admit hey the child has a problem!! This child is an adult now and still has petti-mall seizures from time to time.

THC does not cause hullucinations I don't think! And it is near impossible to overdose on! Any danger that it might pose to people could very well be overshadowed by the misinformation about the drug out there that causes misinformed doctors to jump the gun when the see a small level of it in a person's blood and declare it an overdose before ruling out other possibilities

I would love to be able to live just one day where only the truth and actual facts could be stated and the lies and propaganda bs not allowed to rule the day!

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Although I understand how so many people can not understand what the effects of MJ actually does if you are someone who hasn't tried it and have only read about it. What is interesting to me at least, is the amount of people who likely partake and are members of this site. If I was a betting man, some of the most profound thinkers on this site are likely the same who are no stranger to MJ.

One misconception I hear all the time is "he smoked himself stupid", or they smoke so much that all they do is sit and drool. What people don't typically understand is how it actually effects your brain and your thoughts. MJ doesn't make it harder to think, it does just the opposite, it makes you over focus on a particular topic or action that all other thoughts are typically cancelled out.

Here is a very short video that explains exactly what happens to the brain on MJ:

edit on 16-5-2014 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

Here, to substantiate your hypothesis about many of the intelligent thinkers on this website:

Why Intelligent People Use More Drugs

People – scientists and civilians alike – often associate intelligence with positive life outcomes. The fact that more intelligent individuals are more likely to consume alcohol, tobacco, and psychoactive drugs tampers this universally positive view of intelligence and intelligent individuals. Intelligent people don’t always do the right thing, only the evolutionarily novel thing.

So if you are intelligent, you are more likely to use or to have used drugs. This isn't surprising due to curiosity being a a big trait in intelligent people. I bet another factor deals with how drugs alters the way a person thinks and can help an intelligent person tackle a problem from a different angle to arrive at a solution.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Rosinitiate

Here, to substantiate your hypothesis about many of the intelligent thinkers on this website:

So if you are intelligent, you are more likely to use or to have used drugs. This isn't surprising due to curiosity being a a big trait in intelligent people. I bet another factor deals with how drugs alters the way a person thinks and can help an intelligent person tackle a problem from a different angle to arrive at a solution.

I'll check out the link thanks.

Imagine if Rowdy Rowdy Piper had put on those "They Live" shades to see weediens instead of aliens.....

What do you think he would see?

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Hi, I rarly post here but I lurk everyday, I havent read the whole thread but I would like to chime in here.
I was a big drinker (alchoholic) and I destroyed my liver, now take it in concideration that I am a machine repairman in a large brewery.
I quit drinking 6 years ago when I found out the extent of the damage to my liver. You know some times you need a little stress relife, or a little reward at the end of the week. I found out that taking a toke once in a while fits that bill without resorting back to drinking. Now 6 years later my liver is back to normal operations and I dont even think about drinking and will never go back to it. I would say that occasional usage of weed has helped in my recovery and I always say I would rather see a joint in someones hand than a beer now keep in mind my occupation. I hope this post does not cross the lines of T&C because I think my point is valid and my story should be read. If I spelled anything wrong....I am not an english major.
Thanks Ed

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis
Problems?

Yeah they got em

On Tuesday, Dr. Michael Distefano testified that Colorado Children’s Hospital has treated seven juveniles for acute illnesses stemming from ingesting edible forms of marijuana since the law went into effect.

And, on Monday night, before Distefano appeared before the House Committee on Health, Insurance, and Environment on two bills to rein in recreational marijuana, a mother of three from Denver on the phone with a 911 operator about the hallucinations being experienced by her husband was killed when he shot her in the head.

State Rep. Frank McNulty (R-Highlands Ranch) says that achieving equivalences between marijuana from plants with the concentrates used in edibles will probably cost the state at least $100,000 to implement, but that every passing day is giving lawmakers reasons why some tightening is necessary.

The reports of edible marijuana making children sick and possibly playing a role in Kristine Kirk’s murder coincides with a new study showing that casual marijuana use can cause changes in the brain. Published in the Journal of Neuroscience, a 10-page report on the study says that brain alterations occur in young adults using marijuana before any dependence develops.

The report’s author, Dr. Hans Breiter of Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine and Massachusetts General Hospital, said that longer-term studies are needed to see if brain changes cause any symptoms over time.

Food Safety News

And who says this wouldnt have happened if weed was illegal? Or do you think everyone just started using weed overnight? Most users already smoked weed when it was illegal and weed-related incidents isnt anything new.. Just like other drug-related incidents happen, no matter if theyre illegal or legalized.

By the way alcohol is a hard drug, and I think theres tons of crimes committed while being drunk. Why dont you name some of those incidents? Ow I know: because otherwise your piece of propaganda wouldn't be propaganda anymore and not serve your goal of making weed look dangerous or whatever. Instead it would show how innocent of a drug it is COMPARED to others, including alcohol. (Not promoting weed or any kinds of drugs here btw)
edit on 507am3106up86 by whatsup86 because: (no reason given)

edit on 508am3124up86 by whatsup86 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

But you fail to answer the fundamental question.

Is prison and life ruining criminal records really worth the price of simple cannabis possession

Its basically saying "we are definitely going to ruining your life with prison and criminal records for a substance that may ruin your life" What the logic to that?

Especially when booze, tobacco and refined sugar do have worse health effects.

whats the logic?

Im not a Cannabis user. So Im not effected by prohibition. But is prohibition really worth my tax money?

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Since I am an extremely responsible member in the USA society, I will avoid going to Colorado for any reason as if it has the plague. All of societies' degenerates and weirdos will be moving in there. Coralled into one area. It fits in well with their crazy weird airport. Seriously, when you do drugs bad things happen as a universal consequence. That place will be the black hole of despair.

edit on 16-5-2014 by frugal because: spelling errors

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: darepairman
Hi, I rarly post here but I lurk everyday, I havent read the whole thread but I would like to chime in here.
I was a big drinker (alchoholic) and I destroyed my liver, now take it in concideration that I am a machine repairman in a large brewery.
I quit drinking 6 years ago when I found out the extent of the damage to my liver. You know some times you need a little stress relife, or a little reward at the end of the week. I found out that taking a toke once in a while fits that bill without resorting back to drinking. Now 6 years later my liver is back to normal operations and I dont even think about drinking and will never go back to it. I would say that occasional usage of weed has helped in my recovery and I always say I would rather see a joint in someones hand than a beer now keep in mind my occupation. I hope this post does not cross the lines of T&C because I think my point is valid and my story should be read. If I spelled anything wrong....I am not an english major.
Thanks Ed

It seems as though the Mods are allowing a little leeway as of late, but are carefully moderating as needed.

You point is valid and I can assure you, you are not the first cross-addicted alcoholic to find respite for your disease. Best of luck to you! ....and stay sober.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate
Although I understand how so many people can not understand what the effects of MJ actually does if you are someone who hasn't tried it and have only read about it. What is interesting to me at least, is the amount of people who likely partake and are members of this site. If I was a betting man, some of the most profound thinkers on this site are likely the same who are no stranger to MJ.

One misconception I hear all the time is "he smoked himself stupid", or they smoke so much that all they do is sit and drool. What people don't typically understand is how it actually effects your brain and your thoughts. MJ doesn't make it harder to think, it does just the opposite, it makes you over focus on a particular topic or action that all other thoughts are typically cancelled out.

Here is a very short video that explains exactly what happens to the brain on MJ:

I dont see this as fact. I know tons of mj-smokers. Some are active some start ''drooling''. All depends on how and what, and how much you smoke and on the person himself. Like some have a bad drunk on alcohol. But if youre 21 you should be free to make those decissions for yourself. If you want to you should be free to try. Dont make yourself illusions it can be as addictive and it can ruin your life just like alcohol or any other drug can.

But one thing Ive never seen is people fight or act agressive while high from mj.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join