It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 Months Since Legalizing Marijuana, Here's What Colorado Looks Like

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Here you go.

www.thedailybeast.com...

liorpachter.wordpress.com...

edit on 16-5-2014 by Jahari because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

One in a million compared to tens of thousands that die because of the "legal drugs" that are available...

Your "patient" more then likely had serious issues before he tried MJ...

but of course, blame it on the "drug"...

Show me it's one in a million. And no, he didn't. No psychiatric history whatsoever, none, zero, zip. No criminal record either. He now requires psychiatric medication to keep from hearing voices for the rest of his life.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I've never seen two mods debate each other with such vigor. This thread is awesome.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

One in a million compared to tens of thousands that die because of the "legal drugs" that are available...

Show me it's one in a million. And no, he didn't. No psychiatric history whatsoever, none, zero, zip. No criminal record either. He now requires psychiatric medication to keep from hearing voices for the rest of his life.

Tbh I don't believe you. Just my opinion. You come off as the type of guy thayll say anuthing not to be wrong. Should we just take your word for it? No link it didn't happen!

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jahari
Here you go.

That is not a study. You clearly have no clue about research.

That is a critique about ONE study, which only deals with CASUAL use (as little as once or twice a week).
The person doing the critique acknowledges there IS a correlation between CASUAL MJ use and PERMANENT brain changes. He simply says the data does not show there is a problem. So my premise of PERMANENT brain alteration is NOT disputed by what you provided, it does suggest more studies are needed for CASUAL use causing permanent brain changes. Non-casual use it's already proven.

As I said, you simply have no clue on the subject.
edit on 16-5-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Tbh I don't believe you. Just my opinion. You come off as the type of guy thayll say anuthing not to be wrong. Should we just take your word for it? No link it didn't happen!

No, you don't believe me because you live in this bubble and if what I say is true that bubble will be shattered. I have given proof of everything I said, you choose to believe a lie, feel free to do so. I linked multiple sources that 100% back up everything I said.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Look I can find a link but but Itll be prior to the study Im sure your gonna use to rebuttle, since your side just had a study come out in april finding a review is about as close as your gonna get. Are you saying the points In this review arent valid? If so, how? Dont assume you know me either.

The use of some of the subjects were 30 Times a week in one case. Like I said you will say anything. You hhaven't proved anything. The burden of proof os with you not me.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Jahari

Tbh I don't believe you. Just my opinion.

Hey now lets be fair here... MJ can indeed cause psychosis, but there's a very small chance it will do that. It really depends on the person, some people are just more prone to it than others, but MJ can help trigger it in those susceptible people. But does that mean it should be totally illegal? Of course not... too much alcohol can easily KILL a person, and in fact thousands of people die every year due to alcohol poisoning, and many of those people are young teenagers.

Now I'm pretty sure death is worse than psychosis, so how is it that alcohol is still legal and MJ isn't? No one is being forced to smoke or ingest MJ, no one has to risk their sanity if they don't want to, but I damn well am willing to risk my sanity for the benefits offered by MJ. It's absurd for the government to think they have the authority to tell me what I can and cannot do with my body, just keep out of my freakin business. At least when it's legal the quality is much higher and less likely to send people insane because of dangerous chemicals added to the plant.
edit on 16/5/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

There is no actual medical evidence supporting that the MJ caused the problem. It could have been a dozen or so different things that caused that issue.

Not true

On Tuesday, Dr. Michael Distefano testified that Colorado Children’s Hospital has treated seven juveniles for acute illnesses stemming from ingesting edible forms of marijuana since the law went into effect.

Bold is mine...

Your argument is invalid for as we know the vast majority of medical diagnoses is based on the findings of the particular physician...

How about a study from "Brown University" a BASTION of liberals

Memory and learning
Research shows that regular marijuana use compromises the ability to learn and to remember information by impairing the ability to focus, sustain, and shift attention. One study also found that long-term use reduces the ability to organize and integrate complex information.

In addition, marijuana impairs short-term memory and decreases motivation to accomplish tasks, even after the high is over. In one study, even small doses impaired the ability to recall words from a list seen 20 minutes earlier.

Marijuana use is associated with increased prevalence of depression, schizophrenia and psychosis. It remains unclear whether marijuana triggers the onset of these illnesses only in vulnerable people or whether it can cause them in people who would not have developed them otherwise.

Fertility
Long-term marijuana use suppresses the production of hormones that help regulate the reproductive system. For men, this can cause decreased sperm counts and sperm motility and heavy users can experience erectile dysfunction

Brown University

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts"

Semper

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Here you go.

www.thedailybeast.com...

from your 2nd source you edited in ...

we know that 35 percent of young adults 18-20 have smoked marijuana in the past year, with a full 1 in 5 reporting smoking at least once in the past month.

Once they reach age 26, however, less than 1 percent have marijuana problems serious enough to be classified as addiction.

That means 1% of 35%, or .35% of ALL 26 year olds, close to 3.5 MILLION people develop SERIOUS marijuana problems each year.

That is YOUR source.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

His argument is the same argument the tobacco companies used. The evidence shows correlation not causation.

Might as well say tobacco does not cause cancer. It's the same argument.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

I agree but still don't believe him. Arrogant and rude. Definitely the type that will stretch the truth a little to get his point across. I couldbe wrong of coursw but he gotta know ully ball ddon't work over here! Studies will come out going back and forth for years. This is a politically charged issue. I'm going off common sense. I know hundreds of smokers well above the 20 participants in this study and not one person that developed psychiatric issues.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   

That means 1% of 35%, or .35% of ALL 26 year olds, close to 3.5 MILLION people develop SERIOUS marijuana problems each year.

The article says a serious marijuana problem is classified as addiction, you're twisting the words used.

(post by ChaoticOrder removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Show me its not one in a million or more...

Im sorry but I just don't believe you... and your links to pros/cons are certainly not convincing

IF this is true its an extremely rare case...

And as I've said, any damage that could be caused is nothing compared to what "legal drugs" have done...

edit on 16-5-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   

A three-year study of heavy cannabis users and controls suggests that “sustained moderate to heavy levels of cannabis” use do not affect working memory.

The longitudinal neuro-imaging study, published in the March 2014 issue of Addiction Biology, was investigating the relationship between substance use (alcohol, cannabis, nicotine, and illegal psychotropic drugs) and working-memory network function over time in heavy cannabis users, and in controls.

Forty-nine participants performed an n-back working-memory task at baseline, and at a three-year follow-up. At follow-up, there were 22 current heavy marijuana users, four abstinent heavy users and 23 non-cannabis-using controls. Tensor-independent component analysis (Tensor-ICA) was used to look at individual differences in working-memory network functionality over time.

Within the group of marijuana users, “cannabis-related problems” remained stable, whereas alcohol-related problems, nicotine dependence and illegal psychotropic drug use all increased over time.

Three-Year Scientific Study: Working Memory Unaffected In Heavy Marijuana Users

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Its only roughly 5-7 million (maybe guessing a little high) 26 year olds in the us.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:22 AM
link   
I'm in Colorado and despite what my avatar may lead you to think, I don't smoke the stuff, I don't care for the effects personally. With that said, the people here voted for it to be legal for recreational use, and since then, the propaganda in the local media and law enforcement reps against it has been off the chain.

Any idiot can see that there is an effort by "officials" (including those in local law enforcement) and those in local media to make it seem like something terrible has occurred. The smear campaign has not worked, and I support what the people have voted for, so good on them for not buying the lies and sensationalism against legalization. The truth is, there is nothing substantial enough to show that marijuana even ranks up there with alcohol when it comes to being a dangerous substance. There are no violent hippies here, sorry to those who wish to think otherwise. Marijuana does NOT cause hallucinations, this is some crazy myth, who knows where that started.

Colorado has received more than expected tax revenue since official legalization in Jan. So much revenue has been accumulated that the state has actually started issuing tax refunds, and we aren't even 6 months into this. It doesn't really matter if you support it or not, the truth is, the economy here in Colorado has drastically improved and many cities still have ordinances not allowing the sale of it for recreational purposes.

My city (Colorado Springs) is very very conservative with many Christian churches and Christian organizations. Their influence has stopped it from being sold in this city for recreation, but even most of those organizations support it for medical use and there are medical marijuana clinics placed on almost every other city block. (more medicinal marijuana clinics than 7-11's!)

It's just ignorant to think this isn't helping the economy in Colorado, and it's even more ignorant to think Marijuana is even on the same level as alcohol or hard drugs like heroin when it comes to deaths related to it.
edit on 16-5-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   
In the spirit of a healthy discussion, I'd like to throw a couple pieces of copper in...

CBD is the "main" active chemical in Sativa dominant strains.
THC is the "main" in Indica dominant strains.

CBD is your pain killer, or "upper" (for some)[anti-depressant]
THC is also a decent pain killer, but also is notorious for inducing "couch-lock"(the downer)

Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the primary psychoactive component of the Cannabis plant. Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC, THC) and delta-8-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ8-THC), mimic the action of anandamide, a neurotransmitter produced naturally in the body. These two THC's produce the effects associated with cannabis by binding to the CB1 cannabinoid receptors in the brain.
wiki

Cannabidiol (CBD) is not psychoactive, and was thought not to affect the psychoactivity of THC.[16] However, recent evidence shows that smokers of cannabis with a higher CBD/THC ratio were less likely to experience schizophrenia-like symptoms.[17] This is supported by psychological tests, in which participants experience less intense psychotic-like effects when intravenous THC was co-administered with CBD (as measured with a PANSS test).
wiki

Interesting how the human brain has receptors just for THC/CBD...

Cannabis contains various cannabinoids, two of which have almost opposing actions: Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (Δ9-THC) is psychotomimetic, whereas cannabidiol (CBD) has antipsychotic effects. Hair samples were analysed to examine levels of Δ9-THC and CBD in 140 individuals. Three clear groups emerged: `THC only', `THC+CBD' and those with no cannabinoid in hair. The THC only group showed higher levels of positive schizophrenia-like symptoms compared with the no cannabinoid and THC+CBD groups, and higher levels of delusions compared with the no cannabinoid group. This provides evidence of the divergent properties of cannabinoids and has important implications for research into the link between cannabis use and psychosis
Study - not so sure how it shows anything other than they were high... Trippin... Ya know...

Cannabis acts as a component cause of psychosis, that is, it increases the risk of psychosis in people with certain genetic or environmental vulnerabilities, though by itself, it is neither a sufficient nor a necessary cause of psychosis. Although significant progress has been made over the last few years, we are yet to find all the missing links. Further work is necessary to identify all the factors that underlie individual vulnerability to cannabis-related psychosis and to elucidate the biological mechanisms underlying this risk
Asian Journal of Psychiatry

Now obviously you can point us to your study, showing that THC is more likely to cause schizophrenia to develop on its own, but what I'm gathering here is that THC "showed higher levels of positive schizophrenia-like symptoms" i.e., you smoke some indica, youre gonna have a head trip and if its some really good # you might even see a couple things. (Very rare circumstances provided my own findings. Like 1 out of.... 3 thousand)[trying to stay within T&C] and you'll probably be stuck on the couch for an hour or two(also, schizophrenic symptoms)

Schizophrenia is a mental disorder that makes it hard to: Tell the difference between what is real and not real; Think clearly; Have normal emotional responses; Act normally in social situations.
über simple definition.

Just to clear up any preconceived notions about what schizophrenia is, and what having "schizophrenia-like symptoms" actually entails. This isnt schizoaffective, this isn't dissociative identity disorder(formerly multiple personality disorder) this isnt reefer madness. My point is, the drug is doing exactly what its intended to do, help you disconnect from reality for a moment. Not all of us are currently able to live in areas with any kind of tranquility, some may find it with headphones, but the urban environment is ... Unnatural, and ostentatious. Its gnarly bro...

What I'm seeing is, the risks are there for people who are predisposed, not to the general populace. The substance has negative side effects, however the one thing that (in my little mind) supersedes all that, is the fact Marijuana is a plant. It is natural. I dont drink coffee because it makes me anxious, and jittery, and under the right circumstances those could be a cocktail for murder... Heh... Maybe we should take a look at caffeine? Or maybe some people shouldn't smoke pot... Just like some people dont smoke cigarettes, and some people dont drink alcohol.

I'm not saying MJ is harmless, but i am saying MJ alone does not cause schizophrenia.
edit on 16-5-2014 by OuttaOC because: Crossing the t's and dotting the i's

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

The government wont allow it because it enables people to think freely and question authorities motives.

John Lennon, Hendrix etc ...
We cant have a nation of peace wanting people asking the government why?

We need god fearing christian workers.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join