It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 Months Since Legalizing Marijuana, Here's What Colorado Looks Like

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Well the real question will be long term psychiatric effects due to marijuana usage. As far as pot being toxic, it isn't. So ingesting it should have no ill effects. It DOES alter brain chemistry though, permanently so.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Leaglize, deregulate,get your nose and taxes OUT OF MY BUSINESS...
YOU DONT TAX MY GARDEN...DONT TAX MY WEED EITHER....# OFF.....
edit on 16-5-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
Well the real question will be long term psychiatric effects due to marijuana usage. As far as pot being toxic, it isn't. So ingesting it should have no ill effects. It DOES alter brain chemistry though, permanently so.

Long-term effects? How about the entire time man have walked the planet give or take a thousand years?

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

You should have the right to do whatever you want as long as it does not infringe on anothers right to do the same. The founding fathers understood this why is it so hard for people to understand.

If we followed the constitution all drug laws would go away. The war on drugs is anti American.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jahari

Long-term effects? How about the entire time man have walked the planet give or take a thousand years?

That makes literally zero sense. Thanks for playing.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth
a reply to: semperfortis

You should have the right to do whatever you want as long as it does not infringe on anothers right to do the same. The founding fathers understood this why is it so hard for people to understand.

If we followed the constitution all drug laws would go away. The war on drugs is anti American.

Then you have to remove the ability of anyone taking a drug to get any benefits from the government, remove their access to all medical care unless they pay/have insurance, as well as a slew of other things. If that happened I would not disagree with you.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Explain to me how it makes zero sense. Your the only one playing I guess. I'm dead serious. Marijuana has been around a very long time. Please enlighten me.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
www.advancedholistichealth.org...

Just to put what I said in context....Oh and fyi its not a fact that marijuana permanently alters your brain. Deny ignorance!!!!

So we need to see what the long term psychiatric effects are but it DOES alter brain chemistry permanemtly? That makes sense how?

edit on 16-5-2014 by Jahari because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 02:13 AM
link   

www.advancedholistichealth.org...

Just to put what I said in context....Oh and fyi its not a fact that marijuana permanently alters your brain. Deny ignorance!!!!

Take your own advice, it 100% does, you are clueless on the subject, and your link doesn't even talk about it.

a new study suggests young adults who smoke marijuana at least once a week have altered areas of the brain involved in emotion and motivation.

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

Research on the long-term effects of marijuana abuse indicates some changes in the brain similar to those seen after long-term abuse of other major drugs

www.medicinenet.com...

imaging studies (functional MRI; fMRI) in chronic users do show some consistent alterations

www.drugabuse.gov...

Game over. Bye.
edit on 16-5-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Look and I can do a quick search that states my case as wellit proves nothing. Its only known that adolescent use is damaging.

Game over indeed!

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   

I was actually wondering about making an extra thread since I was debating this topic on other forums, but not sure about the T&C here.

Because of my discussions, I did some more research the lasts days...PLUS I have my own experiences which are however A LONG, LONG time back.

* Fact is that recently the first likely deaths had been reported due to MJ use. There were two kids who died due to heart failure where doctors concluded is was from MJ.

* There are the recent cases of the guy throwing himself down a balcony and of course the one where someone stabbed someone while he took MJ.

* There is link between PSYCHOSIS and possibly even schizophrenia and MJ. Statistics show that people who smoked a lot are prone to getting psychosis and schizophrenia. Sorry not citing links, they exist, please research.

* Cannabis "paranoia" (panic) and Cannabis Induced Psychosis is REAL. It affects as many as 30% or 40% of smokers, not only "newbies". A lot of even seasoned smokers experienced very bad trips because of too high dosage (edibles), pure stuff they were not used to before, "dabs" and similar. People may think they die, they experience increased heart rates etc... and now we have reason to believe that MJ can indeed cause heart failures. So there is potential danger which cannot be denied.

* MJ or cannabis sold and made today is much stronger than it was, say, 25 years ago. People are smoking "dabs" which is basically pure THC....or they "over-dose" on edibles etc...

* The legalization in Colorado did not care about giving out proper doses where such problems MAY be less, instead they FIRST legalized the drugs for "medical" (LOL...) use and only now are thinking about ways to properly distribute it so people know the exact doses they are getting. This is IRRESPONSIBLE.

* I read many stoner accounts on various sites where many of them also experienced an "OD" on MJ and bad paranoia/panic attacks...MANY of them are reporting permanent psychological damage due to their experience, and inability to cope with reality after their bad experience or other things like depression etc.

It is my opinion that MJ is a drug like any other, it's a hallucinogen which can be potentially dangerous and needs to be taken carefully and responsibly. MOST "recreational" users do NOT carefully deal with it, they use it (and offer it!) to others in irresponsible ways.

A medication which would potentially cause the same side-effects (psychosis, possibly triggering schizophrenia etc.) like MJ would NEVER, EVER be sold on the market, and even then only with strict regulations..especially considering that you don't ever know what you're getting when you buy MJ and the problem of the correct dosage.

Because of that I think it's absurd that MJ is now "legal" in some states, it simply is.

It's also ironic that we now gradually see an increased number of accidents, deaths, people freaking out etc.. hospitals reporting more people taken in who "OD" on edibles etc...(because they panic and normally call for an ambulance since they think they might die)...but no one seems to have to think over the consequences?

What I am saying..for instance in the US and elsewhere we have laws, say for the max. allowed percentage of alcohol, everyone KNOWS if you have 0,8%% alcohol in your blood you cannot/should not drive.

Such laws for MJ don't exist! I have to my absolute horror seen people arguing like MJ is "so much better" and "healthier" than alcohol...people who also sort-of voiced like it wouldn't be a big deal to drive a car while being high but of course it would be unthinkable if someone had a couple of beers, crazy stuff like that.

DON'T GET ME WRONG - this is not about telling people what they can do or not, what they can put into their bodies or not. (This argument is always given when someone has an "anti drug stance"). What this is about is that MJ is often portrayed as "harmless" which IT IS NOT and it should not be portrayed as a "better" alternative to other drugs. Go watch a random "stoner movie". Lol. In the media as well It is portrayed like it's all fun and it's no big deal. In REALITY it doesn't take a lot that someone might get a couple puffs too much or mistakenly eats two entire cookies (wondering why it doesn't kick in quickly etc.)..and then entirely freaks out, has a very bad trip and then does stuff like jumping down a balcony or killing someone in some extreme cases.

edit on 5/16/2014 by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   
aSome of these studies have shown age at first use to be a factor, where early use is a marker of vulnerability to later problems. However, at this time, it not clear whether marijuana use causes mental problems, exacerbates them, or is used in attempt to self-medicate symptoms already in existence. 

reply to: Jahari

Did you even readthe article you posted?

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   

aSome of these studies have shown age at first use to be a factor, where early use is a marker of vulnerability to later problems. However, at this time, it not clear whether marijuana use causes mental problems, exacerbates them, or is used in attempt to self-medicate symptoms already in existence. 

This is correct, but especially BECAUSE of that isn't it irresponsible to legalize it?

By the way, I read that research tends towards that THC is what causes paranoia and psychosis but the other chemical, Cannabidiol has the exact opposite effect. So it's a balance between those two active chemicals in MJ.

Problem only: THOSE things need to be researched BEFORE it's made legal and touted as a "better" and "harmless" alternative. And this is what I always heard when I was younger, how "harmless" MJ allegedly is compared to whatever, even normal tobacco. How can a drug that may cause permanent psychosis (or at least MAY result in very bad trips with possibly long lasting psychological effects) be considered harmless? It just baffles me.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: NoRulesAllowed

Whoa! That's a lot to take in. I can only say that from the research I've done, its imo that these studies are done by someone that opposes the legalization of mj. Do a quick search on each one of those talking points and I'm sure you will find a study that refutes it. Unlike the other smug gentleman you put forth something of substance. I respect it.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   

You are aware that drugs, throughout history were often only taken by a few select, like shamans in religious ceremonies?

TODAY...we have people taking "recreational" drugs, i.e. "just to get high"... how can you even compare that? Please don't argue with that drugs are harmless because "man is taking them for 1000s of years", because that's just silly.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoRulesAllowed

Well the real question will be long term psychiatric effects due to marijuana usage. As far as pot being toxic, it isn't. So iningesting it should have no ill effects. It DOES alter brain chemistry though, permanently so.

You are aware that drugs, throughout history were often only taken by a few select, like shamans in religious ceremonies?

TODAY...we have people taking "recreational" drugs, i.e. "just to get high"... how can you even compare that? Please don't argue with that drugs are harmless because "man is taking them for 1000s of years", because that's just silly.

You do know that my comment was sarcastic? Thinking it wasnt is just plain silly. Have a sense of humor. At least that how it started before what's his name made a rude comment like he actually know what he's talking about. It's weed! A child can see cigarettes and alcohol is far worst then good ol mary jane. So no I don't need to see the freaking long term effects, no I dont see the need to wait until more informaton is known before legalization. A child can see which are the real killers oit there. So while those two are legal I think 100% mj should be also.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   

How can a drug that may cause permanent psychosis (or at least MAY result in very bad trips with possibly long lasting psychological effects) be considered harmless? It just baffles me.

LOL whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??

Permanent psychosis?

What Pseudo Christian magazine have you been reading?

The only effect is munchies... the urge to pillage a fridge....

What "baffles" me is that other drugs such as alcohol, and tobacco are legal while the harmless herb is not...

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Look and I can do a quick search that states my case as wellit proves nothing. Its only known that adolescent use is damaging.

Game over indeed!

No, you can't. Link me ONE meta-anal;ysis that concludes MJ does not make any changes. Do it.

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

How can a drug that may cause permanent psychosis (or at least MAY result in very bad trips with possibly long lasting psychological effects) be considered harmless? It just baffles me.

LOL whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??

Permanent psychosis?

What Pseudo Christian magazine have you been reading?

The only effect is munchies... the urge to pillage a fridge....

What "baffles" me is that other drugs such as alcohol, and tobacco are legal while the harmless herb is not...

Oh? Tell that to my patient who had MJ induced psychosis who shot his mother's boyfriend because his mom was sending him secret messages to his mind.

Current evidence supports that cannabis is a 'component cause' of chronic psychosis, meaning although neither necessary nor sufficient, cannabis use at a young age increases the likelihood of developing schizophrenia or other psychotic disorders.

I work in psychiatry, you will lose this argument all day every day.
Basically what this means is that MJ use is not sufficient by itself to cause psychosis/schizophrenia .. but there are people who have risk factors who would NOT become psychotic/schizo but for the fact they used MJ.
medicalmarijuana.procon.org...

Cannabis use in daily life was associated with subsequent increases in hallucinatory experiences, in particular auditory hallucinations. Patients with a psychotic disorder [such as schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder] were more sensitive to the hallucinogenic effects of cannabis than healthy controls... The data suggest that the positive effects of cannabis on mood are acute [occurring in the short term] whereas its association with psychotic experiences is sub-acute [occurring in the longer term]."

Long-Term.
medicalmarijuana.procon.org...
edit on 16-5-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   

One in a million compared to tens of thousands that die because of the "legal drugs" that are available...

Your "patient" more then likely had serious issues before he tried MJ...

but of course, blame it on the "drug"...

edit on 16-5-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join