It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Cup 2014 Thoughts

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

Yes I was wrong.

I thought it would end all level but I am glad it wasn't a forced stalemate and the integrity of the game was not compromised.

Looks like the this USA effort is actually generating a lot of interest back home and now a knock-out game against (probably) Belgium to come. A tough one for sure. But also winnable.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: mirageman

Good for the USA, glad you got out of The Group of Death!!

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

I'm English mate.

Or were you addressing the US in general?

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: mirageman

I was using you to address the USA

You should be chuffed

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Is Romania still in?
Just checking

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman

Yes I was wrong.

I thought it would end all level but I am glad it wasn't a forced stalemate and the integrity of the game was not compromised.

Looks like the this USA effort is actually generating a lot of interest back home and now a knock-out game against (probably) Belgium to come. A tough one for sure. But also winnable.

I agree. Its amazing the support the team is getting. Even the astronauts on the ISS got into it (one of them is German). It's weird hearing a supporters chant for the USA "I believe that we will win!" from a NASA astronaut as he and the Germany astronaut talk about a bet the two of them made on the game.

I don't want to get all 'Murica on people but I remember the BBC's South American football expert, Tim Vickery saying the football played by a nation is usually a reflection of the nation's general attitude. He cited the Germans being efficient, the English hard-working and pragmatic, the Brazilians creative and deceptive, etc.

[murica] So the Americans have cheated death and fought back from what seemed to all the odds makers as impossible odds in very inhospitable climates just to say "we did it".

Sounds about right. [/murica]

Now we will play Belgium. A formidable team who beat us twice in friendlies recently.

The good thing about that is Jurgen Klinsmann unlike his predecessors seldom makes the same mistake twice and well prepares the team with all previous video of previous meetings.

They will be well prepared for Belgium. Whether any of that matters remains to be seen.

edit on 27-6-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phasge
Is Romania still in?
Just checking

Never were

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Scenes as the USA advanced:

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

I am truly honoured to address the USA in their moment of success.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

The USA team have been getting a lot of attention over here because of the surge in support Stateside.Also the manager was one the the first big names foreigners to play in England. Tim Howard, and Jozy Altidore play in our Premier League and many of the rest of the squad play in Europe. Plus we also get MLS games on cable TV and are more than familiar with a certain Mr. Dempsey. We've also got Brad Friedel (another good goalie) on the BBC covering the games.

Good luck against the Belgians they have a few tricky players and will be as big a test perhaps more than the Germans were. Half their squad play in England. Eden Hazard is a very skillful forward. Vincent Kompany is arguably the best defender in our league and one of the best in the world. But this World Cup has been so full of upsets that USA may still pull it off.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
It seemed to me that Germany wasn't playing 100% in order for USA to advance, otherwise it would have been Ghana or Portugal which would have advanced because of goal average. I think it's because FIFA wants the US to be more involved into football/soccer and thus more money for FIFA, and the best way to do it is to make sure USA goes further in the tournament/more Americans watching..

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Well done, Argentina!!!!!!!!
Advanced to quarter finals!!

Good luck, US!!

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Unlucky that.... was cheering for the USA.

Played well, showed great spirit and fight.

Well done USA, did yourselves proud.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Hard luck USA, that was a courageous performance.
One of the best matches so far.
Unlucky

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: blupblup

^This^

Best extra time of the tournament. The U.S players did their country proud.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: mclarenmp4

originally posted by: blupblup

^This^

Best extra time of the tournament. The U.S players did their country proud.

Agreed.

I'd also add the fans gathered in town squares, parks and stadiums in cities across the USA nd the 100,000 who travelled to Brazil also did our country proud. So many people followed the team in this World Cup that its clear that this game means as much to many of us as it does to any other country.

We'll be back in 2018 and just as this team was better than the one we brought to South Africa in 2010, that team will be stronger. There are some exciting young players who are coming through the ranks and there's talk we may be on the verge of a "golden generation".

I'm very proud of this team and my nation for embracing them and this World Cup.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Your team did you proud,and i expect you to do well in Russia in 2018.
However a message to your supporters. They need to work on some songs and chants. Singing " U.S.A. U.S.A." is so boring. They need to get a better catalog together.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   

The USA did very well and you should be proud.

The hard thing is maintaining the standard you have now set and trying to progress even further - key to that is continued investment in grass roots football and perhaps most importantly keeping Jurgen Klinsmann, a great footballer in his time with tactical know how and immense respect in the game.
And its imperative that MLS continues to prosper and produce home grown talent.

Sadly we in the UK are sadly lacking in most of these key areas.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Agartha

Lots of voices lost yesterday

edit on 2-7-2014 by mikeone718 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: mikeone718

Ha! La hinchada everywhere, eh? lol
Did you record that?

Next big games are:
France V Germany...........Friday.
Brazil V Colombia.........Friday.
Argentina V Belgium..........Saturday.
Netherlands V Costa Rica.........Saturday.

So.....I think the winners will be:
France
Colombia
Argentina
Costa Rica.
edit on 2-7-2014 by Agartha because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join